Week of May 15, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill o.g.
Erica Johnson: Real dope, I like the vibe you have going here. I like the keys you added, they definitely add to the mood. That bassline is on point. I like the snare better than the handclap. You most definitely have talent if this is one of your first...keep it up.

diskrete: I really like these chops, but I personally feel that the kick and snap need to be brought forward in the mix. Nice keys, and I like the layering that occurs every 4th bar. Well done.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
slik da relic said:
over 6:00??!! u killin my hardware sampler...lol...

da relic

yep... this sucker is 3 seconds too long... my sampler (6:20 with max memory) cant take it.... sigh... anyway, i won the G.A.ME beat battle last week, and im in the June 4th joint for IPA, so i'll pass this week on the flippage, gives me a good excuse to get some other trx up. but i'll try n review everyones' trk later.

da relic

L

lowcuntry

Hey yall
Im bout to go to the movies will do reviews when I get back.....

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Big Rob - Ill flip man! This is most def has a Wuish feel. I first thought of Cappadonna spitin on this one!

Oh, I don't think Jackie Chan on this, I think Bruce Lee homey!!!

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
some really nice beat this week family. i'mma try and drop some feedback for everyone later today

peace

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
haven't had any time to flip this yet with work and all, but i think i may try to get to it either later tonight or tomorrow since it's finally the weekend and i'm free. in the meantime, REVIEWS!!!

reviews:

2good: this is some nice shit. drums are slick and the chops are ill. i don't like what you chose for the bass. but i love all the other shit. that plucked string and cello (i think) are sick too. other than a different bass choice, you're golden. nice flip.

Spanish Harlem: this is ill. lovin the bass. the chops are good. the percussion fits real well. the added keys are perfect. i got no suggestions. this is just a straight up sick beat. nice one. maybe lower the bass level JUST a touch. i've got my sub at 40% and that bass is getting a little overpowering at points.

bone idle: not really feelin this as much. you took a way different approach and that was cool, i'm just not a huge fan of the final product. i can't name anything inparticular, i'm just not really feelin it.

destructuralize: i like that you took a little bit of a different direction and mood. i was expeceting a lot of anthem type beats just because i think that's what this kind of sample is best used for. but this is a sick adaptation to a different vibe. i'd choose a different snare. and maybe work with the percussion a little more. rather than just have that single cymbal goin, get some more instruments and patterns up in there. i'm likin the cuts. but i wish you did some more layering of slices. i think it could use 1 more track, either from the sample or composed. just a little somethin extra. nice flip though, good job.

bigrob: i think the pitch on the bass sounds off at certain points. i don't like when you have it take the lower pattern on the first bar. it sounds ok on the third bar. but the bass in the first bar of every 4 measures just sounds off. i think you should change that. other than that, i like the beat. pretty simple, pretty short, but i like what you've got.

ruimixx: you really did somethin different with this. i wish there was more of the sample in there which i could actually hear and identify as the sample. i think the beat is a little empty and plain. there's not that much there. you've just got the bass, percussion, those stabs, and then that little changeup at the end. i dunno, it's aight, but just doesn't feel like there's much there.

erica: aight, i like the chops. the percussion is fine, but i agree that the clap and snare switch ups should be changed. that switch just doesn't sit right. i'm not really feelin the brass that you have going in the background. i don't think it's really doing much and is just a little distracting. i think there are instruments that would fit better with the rest of the piece and could add more to it as a whole. but, for a first effort this is good. while this may be your first "published" beat, i can't believe that you haven't spent plenty of time dicking around in reason, getting to know the program, and making half finished compositions. it seems pretty much impossible to me that you made this after spending basically no time at all in music composition and the reason program.

diskrete: ok, the percussion needs to be brought out. the kick and the snap are so far back they are barely audible in comparison to the rest of the beat. i wish you'd put more in there too. it just feels empty. you've got some great ground work here, but it needs more. drums, bass, and a single melodic track just aren't enough for any beat in my opinion. gotta layer some more stuff. so, i think it's good start, likin the chops and the bass works fine. the keys at the end are ok, but where are they in the rest of the beat? write a line for the piano you have there or something like that, it just needs a little more time spent on it. and bring out that percussion!

ill o.g.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I was worried the direction I took the beat in would end up sounding a bit too corny. Can't wait to hear some more flips.

Erica said:
the crash is good, something about the crash though, I would have done differently. I don't know if it is the sound itself or some warming of it.
Hmm, I guess the crash might sound a little out of place in terms of tone. I recall being worried about that when I first picked the instrument, but felt it fit once I heard it with the rest of the track. What do you recommend I do to change it?

tricky spinz said:
i'd choose a different snare. and maybe work with the percussion a little more. rather than just have that single cymbal goin, get some more instruments and patterns up in there. i'm likin the cuts. but i wish you did some more layering of slices. i think it could use 1 more track, either from the sample or composed. just a little somethin extra. nice flip though, good job.
Thanks fam. I was trying to come up with something composed as well, but nothing ended up really sticking. There are some light keys in there that I kept though. I actually tried to layer a lot in this one; do you think I should try spreading everything out more in the image? It does sound rather clumped to me now that I think about it. The maximum pan is about 30% L/R. What do you think I could do in general to get more of a thick/textured feeling in there? That's something I've been striving for in all of my beats but haven't quite hit.

Word to the percussion too, I definitely agree with you there. I've been trying to figure out how to layer in different percussion patterns & instruments because Kick-Snare-Hat is getting pretty boring for me. Any general advice on this? Lookin' forward to hearing your flip, fam; that Roberta Flack one was incredible.

Thanks in advance for the advice you two...I'm a bit of a perfectionist as well, lol.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i can't believe that you haven't spent plenty of time dicking around in reason, getting to know the program, and making half finished compositions. it seems pretty much impossible to me that you made this after spending basically no time at all in music composition and the reason program.
Woah, who said I didn't? I said in my Soundclick that this is my FIRST beat that I actually COMPLETED with INTENT to complete and actually arranged, mixed (although I only spent like 5 minutes on mixing this) and published (converting to MP3). I have only done like 5 other 20 minute sessions on Reason that consisted of playing with my sounds and manipulating the different devices.

I just always been around music. "Kicking beats" on the tables at lunch and playing the keyboard growing up. NOT TO MENTION that I LOVE computers and learning the programs was fun for me.

I don't know what else to say, LOL, maybe I should not have mentioned it was my first piece.

And for the CLAP, the clap was added because that is how I felt when I was producing this. I had my drums arranged and had them repeating over and over so I could get a vibe for my drums and then do my melody. SO . . . I started clapping (natural reaction to the drums) and I was feeling real good and I said, "Why don't I just put some claps in there to let people know what I was feeling then." I create my music based on how I feel.

I hope I'm not coming off as hostile, 'cause I respect the opinions.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
Erica Johnson said:
Woah, who said I didn't? I said in my Soundclick that this is my FIRST beat that I actually COMPLETED with INTENT to complete and actually arranged, mixed (although I only spent like 5 minutes on mixing this) and published (converting to MP3). I have only done like 5 other 20 minute sessions on Reason that consisted of playing with my sounds and manipulating the different devices.

I just always been around music. "Kicking beats" on the tables at lunch and playing the keyboard growing up. NOT TO MENTION that I LOVE computers and learning the programs was fun for me.

I don't know what else to say, LOL, maybe I should not have mentioned it was my first piece.

And for the CLAP, the clap was added because that is how I felt when I was producing this. I had my drums arranged and had them repeating over and over so I could get a vibe for my drums and then do my melody. SO . . . I started clapping (natural reaction to the drums) and I was feeling real good and I said, "Why don't I just put some claps in there to let people know what I was feeling then." I create my music based on how I feel.

I hope I'm not coming off as hostile, 'cause I respect the opinions.

no need to try and justify yourself. the way you presented it made it sound like this was the first song you ever wrote and i didn't believe that to be true, and i was correct in thinking so. as far as what people suggested, just take it or leave it. it's all just constructive criticism, whether or not you think it's useful to you is something you should just decide on your own and then do whatever you want with it. you don't need to try to explain yourself.

diskrete

Roving Beat Maker
ill o.g.
appreciate the feedback, i just posted somthin to get it out there, the beats far from done, just been busy with school and really havent had the time to do much to it yet :)

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
no need to try and justify yourself. the way you presented it made it sound like this was the first song you ever wrote and i didn't believe that to be true, and i was correct in thinking so.

This IS the first song I ever wrote. I don't consider a drum pattern (which is all I did in the past) for like :20 seconds on the sequencer to be a song and I don't think anyone else does either.

I'm not going to turn this into a thread about my song because I respect Fade's site and IllMuzik too much and also the other people here. Also, this seems to be a drama-free site. However, I sensed some "She's got to be lying" from you and I didn't like that too much. I'm a pretty easy-going person, so I ain't even trippin'. I just really appreciate the chance to get feedback and have conversations about our different music. So . . . I ain't even thinking about justifying myself, I just thought an explanation about my mindset about the claps would be fitting. :) Just like a lot of people here do when they get constructive criticism.

O

open mind

diskrete i liked the chops that was dope and the bassline too and piano. but the drums where horrible the snap dont fit try a dirty sampled snare same with the kick and the hihat was to crisp try a lower hihat.man this could be so good but u fucked it up with the drums.i dont wanna offend you homie just tryna help peace.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
diskrete said:
i just uploaded the pretty much finished version of my flip - sorry it took so long, maybe id be able to get things done faster when i graduate this school

illmuzuk sample flip 4

www.soundclick.com/diskrete
Hey, what's up? I think it is a pretty solid beat. I always notice the arrangements of people's sounds and the selection of sounds. That is what catches my ear and even though I don't know alot about mixing, the mixing also. I like your selection of sounds. The melody is OK and my favorite part is the finger snaps.

One thing that I would have done differently is the kicks. Your kicks were soft and warm in the first :30 or so and then you did a more heavy and dirty distorted one as the kick after that. I don't like the soft kicks at all in this, I think they should be banging with this and that would kick this beat up A LOT! It would be a whole knew species with some nastier kicks.

The piano is appropiate and nice, I like it. Definitely a conscious beat. :) I like the bridge before the kicks come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online