Week of May 15, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill o.g.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=425648&songID=3939936

Tried to go for something uplifting and atmospheric sounding, since I usually make darker sounding stuff.

Reviews:
2Good: I like most of the instrumentation you added (except for that lower synth-end sound)...it sounds exotic and cool. I'm liking the chops too. Nice drum pattern.

SpanishHarlem: Real dope mood. Feels like a dark moody beat from the start, real ambient. These chops are real sick, man. I like the changeup at 1:00 and those keys add to the effect well. Some of the chops feel a bit abrupt, but that's all I can really comment on in terms of technique. I would've liked to hear a harder snare with maybe those bells scattered throughout the track, but that's probably my personal preference. Real dope.

Boneidle: I like how you integrated that slowed down portion at the end of the sample. The bass seems to sit a little far back in the mix. Interesting chops, the beat's funky. The instrumentation adds to that effect (which I'm sure you were pursuing) quite well.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
boneidle - Man, I dig this fo real!! I was thinking about the possibilites with the slow down at the end of the sample, and you pulled it off nicely! Keep em coming.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
deStructuralize - First of all great flip. diggin the drums I like the brush and the bass is ill. This is on some ridin in on a fuckin horse type shit.

peace.

O

open mind

reviews

spanishharlem
the change from the intro to the main beat is a bit too hard try to make it smother.feelin the chops and arrangment.great changups.bassline fits to and the keys too.i also liked the drums.ok here is what i would change i would push the kick and smothen the intro thats it.great work its smoth.

boneidle
crazy man.sum weird stuff man iam feelin what u did with the sample but the drums really dont fit try dirty thicker phater kick and a dirty snare also the hihat dont fit.it really brings the beat down.the drums sound to clean.wiht the right drums this would be very tight man.bassline u did sounds great.and the other sounds u bring in besides the sample fit nice too.just fuck with the drums homie.

deStructuralize
great melody u made with the sample.iam not feelin the snare.the bassline is cool too try a lower octave with it and see if it works.great hihat sample.nice breaks here and there solid job feelin it.

ill o.g.
Thanks for the reviews, fam.

Bigrob: I like the chops, it sounds like it could be from an old movie (hence the Jackie Chan tribute I guess), which is a cool Wu-Tang esque sound. I'd fatten the bass up a little bit, in my opinion it sounds a bit distorted & synthy. The bassline itself is dope though. Nicely done.

Ruimixx: This one's definitely trippy. It's interesting. I could imagine it as an interlude or something...I like the drum rolls you have going too. In terms of the groove, I feel the kick could either be moved up in the mix or be replaced by a stronger sounding drum, and some hats would help lock things in. Funky and creative though, really neat.

C

Carpe Diem

OK, I'll drop reviews later but Ive had quick listens and they all sound aiight!!!

Im having major problems trying to flip this!! I blame the 5 exams Im having to sit!!! Cant concentrate! Hopefully I come with something!!!

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Beatimus Maximus Primarius

What's happening? Ey, this is my very first completed and published beat, EVER. I spent the day on it (4 hours) and had a lot of fun. Hopefully ya'll will get a chance to listen to it and give back some feed.

Once again, I had a lot of fun doing this. I had never sampled before or anything and I learned a lot. I used Sound Forge 8 for my chopping and just used redrum to key up my chops.

Later

"Beatimus Maximus Primarius"

*Oh, how do you all directly link your song from Soundclick? Also, I was going to do the Beethoven one last week, I was real excited to do that, but I was not able to find any freetime. Beethoven is my favorite composer, ever.

Oh, I will review tomorrow.

O

open mind

deStructuralize said:
Thanks for the reviews, fam.

Bigrob: I like the chops, it sounds like it could be from an old movie (hence the Jackie Chan tribute I guess), which is a cool Wu-Tang esque sound. I'd fatten the bass up a little bit, in my opinion it sounds a bit distorted & synthy. The bassline itself is dope though. Nicely done.

ok i changed the bass.should be ok now.

O

open mind

Erica Johnson
wow man this flipin thang is really cool its very interesting how people been creative.erica this beat is nice.nice switches here and there maybe to much of them.iam not feeling the changes of the snare to a clap just stick with the first snare the clap dont really fit.good job. couldnt believe its your first beat.its very mature sounding.wuteva good job.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
spanish: this is tight man, i am loving the chops and the reverb on them, has a lot of emotion to the track, and that snare is wicked, and the bass is really deep, all around good track, keep it up

boneidle: damn, this is def interesting, has almost a tropical vibe to the track, i like that u took a diff approach on it, the chops are good too, feelin it man, didnt know it would be flipped this way, keep up the good work

destruct: very nice track man, the strings and the bass go really well together and the drums are really nice too i am loving the cymbal in there, has a lot of emotion to it, the chops in the breakdown are really tight too, good track man, keep up the good work

bigrob: this is tight, some dark grimmy shit, the drums are simple but do the chops just right, almost wuish............i like it the track man, wish there was more, but keep grindin son

ruimixx: i like it man, has a west coast vibe to the track, and the snare roll is cool too, def cant tell u used the sample at all, no sample need to be cleared for this track, and the chops are on point, good track man, diff approach but i like it, keep grindin

erica: this is your first track ever? damn, very impressive if so, i wasnt making beats like this when i first started out, i love the chops and the bass adds so much more character to the track, very emotional, i could see this being in a movie or something, and when the claps come in i think they sound good as well, very nice track erica, keep up the good work, was def feelin it girl.............

Reviews

SpanishHarlem - Rumble - Another Ill production. I like the sound of the piano you have used. And the changeups are all good. Im feeling this track. I feel I have to raise my game to keep up with you. Nice work.
Coastin - Not really feeling this tho.

Boneidle - I didnt like this when it first started. But when the intro was over and it all came together its started to sound quite good. And then after the next changeup it really started growing on me. Overall I like this but Im not so sure about the sounds you have used for the chorus.Somethings not quite right there.

Destructuralize - Wonderful - Not really my sort of thing. But that is one deep bassline.

Bigrob - Im liking this beat. Its just a bit short.

Ruimixx - It just feels to me like there is a hi hat missing to liven the beat up a touch. Otherwise goodwork.

Erica - This is a dope beat. I wont believe that its your first tho. There isnt anything Id change on this. Everything down to the mastering sounds good.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
REVIEW TIME!

2GOOD - I really like yours. I like the funkiness of it and like the chop you used. It gives an out-of-space, martian feel at times. Your bass notes are off a little bit, you can hear them stutter at the wrong time. I think I hear some sub-bass also and I like that. Wait, now I KNOW I hear it, nice. I love bass and bumps. It's like crack!

Spanish Harlem - "Rumble" used one of my favorite chops from this sample, I love the feeling it brings. It's got a Southern twang to it, I'm talking about the chop that you used in like the first 4 seconds. I like the piano 'cause it gives a classy vibe to it. There's some distortion in your piece, maybe you can make it cleaner? I see you have a grip on piano, :). Oh, I like how the piano leads to the sample chop.

Boneidle - Haha, this is enjoyable. In the beginning there is so much going on, I like the upbeatness to it. I like the introduction a lot, everything seems to be on key in this.

destructuralized - I definitely like the drums and the crash is good, something about the crash though, I would have done differently. I don't know if it is the sound itself or some warming of it. I like the sample flippage.

bigrob - First of all, I love the name. LOL When I saw this, I was ready to watch some Wu-Tang Kung Fu Classics DVDs . . . Good chops, they work well together.

Ruimixx - AHAHAHAHA! I remember when I first heard this, I was like, "Damn, that's a different approach!" Either way, I love it. It is also kind of funky, but real abstract too. I love the bass and drums. Stony Mountain huh? Yea, I'm feeling it.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Oh, yea, this is my very first completed, mixed, and published beat. I've been into music for since I can remember, plus this took 4 - 5 hours of my time. I am a real picky type person and if something doesn't sound the way I want it or feel it, then I do whatever it takes to get that. When I was younger, we had a keyboard and a piano that I used to play and I am one that "plays by ear," and I got a big imagination (LOL) - so music was something that I really focus on. So, I took this serious, plus this was my first sampling and I needed to take that seriously.

Thanks for the reviews and you can be GUARANTEED that this was my FIRST. I have beats that I have started, but they are like some kicks and a snare type stuff, no mixing, no other instruments, nothing. Nothing completely finished. Just table-top banging out like at the lunch table at school.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Erica Johnson said:
Ruimixx - AHAHAHAHA! I remember when I first heard this, I was like, "Damn, that's a different approach!" Either way, I love it. It is also kind of funky, but real abstract too. I love the bass and drums. Stony Mountain huh? Yea, I'm feeling it.

Thanks for the review Erica! I've been in a Beethoven slump these last two weeks. Difficult for me to get a groove going that I really like lately, so the kind words are appreciated.

I'll have my reviews on everybodys tonight.

peace

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
GRAFIK said:
ruimixx: i like it man, has a west coast vibe to the track, and the snare roll is cool too, def cant tell u used the sample at all, no sample need to be cleared for this track, and the chops are on point, good track man, diff approach but i like it, keep grindin

As always, appreciate it Grafik. I think 2Good's flip inspired me to just eq and filter the hell out of tiny slices, and see if I can just play em out real spacey. These Beethoven samples are tough for me cause I don't want to do the "orchestra-type" beat. Ya feel me? I like it when done well, but when I try it, it comes out lame. Not that my shit doesn't come out lame sometimes, but at least they're weird. LOL!!! I know I say this a lot but I love the weekly flippage. There's some really talented motherphukerz in here and It's teaching me how to use my software and midi differently each week.

Two notes throughout were composed with some strings vst. (it does feel like I cheated) haha!!

Peace

Re Beatus Maximus Phattus

Erica Johnson said:
Oh, yea, this is my very first completed, mixed, and published beat. I've been into music for since I can remember, plus this took 4 - 5 hours of my time. I am a real picky type person and if something doesn't sound the way I want it or feel it, then I do whatever it takes to get that. When I was younger, we had a keyboard and a piano that I used to play and I am one that "plays by ear," and I got a big imagination (LOL) - so music was something that I really focus on. So, I took this serious, plus this was my first sampling and I needed to take that seriously.

Thanks for the reviews and you can be GUARANTEED that this was my FIRST. I have beats that I have started, but they are like some kicks and a snare type stuff, no mixing, no other instruments, nothing. Nothing completely finished. Just table-top banging out like at the lunch table at school.

Well then I really am impressed, it took me years to get to master beats to sound right. You really do have a good ear. Give up your day job. Your gifted.

Ruimixx said:
As always, appreciate it Grafik. I think 2Good's flip inspired me to just eq and filter the hell out of tiny slices, and see if I can just play em out real spacey. These Beethoven samples are tough for me cause I don't want to do the "orchestra-type" beat. Ya feel me? I like it when done well, but when I try it, it comes out lame. Not that my shit doesn't come out lame sometimes, but at least they're weird. LOL!!! I know I say this a lot but I love the weekly flippage. There's some really talented motherphukerz in here and It's teaching me how to use my software and midi differently each week.

Two notes throughout were composed with some strings vst. (it does feel like I cheated) haha!!

Peace
Thanks Ruimixx I feel honoured to have inspired you. I dont make music for money, I do it for the fun and comments like yours. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.