Week of May 29, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
spanishharlem said:
2good- the sample sounds real choppy.... the strings sound off tune... overall this needs some work
Thanks, your right I played it in the headphones and its totally off.

EDIT - Ive now fixed the flip. Check it out now and let me know what you think. Thanks.
www.dj2good.co.uk/sampleflip.php

Some Reviews -

Ruimixx I have to agree with Spanish Harlem on this. This is a good flip and I can hear mcs spitting over this. But it is a bit short, and what with it being your sample I thought you could have come with something a bit better.

TRO This is a good flip. It gets me thiking about the good ol dayz. I like the changeup at 1.48. It adds a break in just the right place.

Wizdom This is hot. Easily my favorite so far. You got skillz. The first thing i thought when I heard it was Pete Rock, I can hear the influence in there. Could maybe use a changeup, but its your shit. You do it how you wanaa do it. Hot beat.

Spanish Harlem Im not really feeling the sample selection on this, but that drum pattern is dope, and the changeup is also good. Sounds like the snare disorts at the end of each 16. Id keep the drums and change the way the sample is used, or even get a different sample from the piece. The way you repeat the drums is good.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
spanishharlem said:
Ruimixx.... this is nice man.... this is your sample tho i thought maybe you could have come up with something smashing..... the snare could be changed but its a good flip

Yo thx Spanish, I'm gonna keep workin on this and try to add some changes to it.

I'll have some reviews up in the morning.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
SpanishHarlem - I liked this flip. This had a "feel good" type vibe to it...Nice drum work. Keep em comin'

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Wizdom - I didn't see your flip "Wizdom Plays the Blues" on your myspace page? Holla.

2good - Man, this is ill! Cool synth. That hand clap sounds crazy. Good stuff 2!

Trinidad - Nice drum game homey! yeah, this is dope, and I like how you did the bass. Keep em comin!

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo Tricky, your chops are ill! Feelin those drumz...yeah, you killed this one. Keep it up man.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
REVIEWS

Ruimixx- what you';ve got is pretty sick. the bass fits nicely as well as the drums and i'm definitely feelin this. now you just gotta go back and finish it.

T.R.O.- definitely feelin this. the cuts are nice and the bass works with it. the drums are aight too. pretty simple, but that's ok. maybe it's a little long. the ideas you have are good, but could definitely be compacted. for a piece of this length you definitely need something more to it. or, on the flip side to that, just shorten up the piece. i think either one would work.

2good- not really feelin this as much. i don't like the off beat stutter step bass. i think that some of the composed parts don't really go with the sample. i think the little wind down thing you have going on is cool. i like that and i think that could be used really well. the percussion needs some depth too. it's very plain. especially that clap. very ordinary. needs more to it. the chops aren't bad. i just think the composed parts around it need some work. like, at 2 minutes. i don't really think that part fits with anything else that you've got going on in the song. i guess i'm just not really feelin this piece.

Spanish Harlem- yeah, this is a nice joint. the cuts are nice. nice note progression. the bass could maybe use a little tweaking and the drums sounds. the snare is too heavy. needs a lighter feel because your melody has a pretty light feel to it. overall though, not bad. i def. like it. just a couple minor adjustments i'd make

Trinidad: i don't like how off beat everything feels in the beginning. once it picks up that's much better. ok, i can dig this. nice work. i don't really have any reccomendations. the drums are fine, the bassline is fine, and the chops are good. a good beat.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
tricky spinz said:
Ruimixx- what you';ve got is pretty sick. the bass fits nicely as well as the drums and i'm definitely feelin this. now you just gotta go back and finish it.

Thanks Tricky, I'm going to keep building on this and see what happens. I appreciate it man.

Big Rob - I like this beat and the part of the sample you used. It's not complex, but very catchy. I keep hearing the piano sample in my head. LOL! This is one that MCs can just ride on all day

Thanks for the feed Ruimixx & Tricky. Ruimixx, im glad you liked it.
Tricky - After the first beat I posted which was pretty dire I must say, I made sure I did the reflip by headphones, just to be sure the keys were right. I tried to do a very basic drum pattern in the style of madlib, or j dilla. It works for them. Im not too good at keeping a tune simple, but im working on it. Ill have a beat you like one day. Thanks again for your comments.
Now for my review of your flip - the chops and everything are tight, but I dont think the beat is banging enough to support the music. The beat seems a little overpowered by the music, apart from that you ripped that shit.

Bigrob - That sounds pretty dope mayne. The mc brings this shit to life. I like this beat. Keeping it simple. Good work.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo 2Good, so you use Acid Pro huh? I'm a big fan of Acid. What version do you use? I use version 4 and I tried version 5, but my computer couldn't handle it. I don't like the sony media manager thingy either.

I use acid 4f. Because it works as a master for reason.

I mainly use it for just acapellas, or to export a loop so I can chop it in Recycle. And then from there its in reason. I do as much as possible in reason, i have to say its becoming an extension of my arm. Ive taken a long time getting to know the program but it works for me, It gives me a great turnaround between starting and finishing a beat. Im still getting to grips with the mastering tho, as some of my beats might show ya. Thanx again for the feedback. Its always been good from you. Im glad somebody likes what im doing.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
2good, you've had beats i liked. that beethoven flip for example. and don't worry about pleasin me, haha. just keep doin your thing and i'll keep giving the suggestions i can. as long as you're feelin the final piece that's what's important

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
2Good you got it man, tricky's tough, but he's 99.9% on point and 100% honest. I kinda owe tricky, 5th, slik, and others for the critical feedback. For me, it's tough to take sometimes, but It keeps me on my toes and makes me see certain areas of my production that I overlook. I think it would be a mistake if you tried simplify your sound cause you got an original style. Stay up man and bring some heat mayne!!!

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^ Thanks Big! I've been patiently waiting (sorta) for my 100th post. LOL!!

Re Tricky

I dont mind a picky judge of my work, its good for my shit. Just makes me want to do things better. Ive found that everytime I do music, I learn a little something new. Music is like kung fu, takes a little while to learn but years to master. I think anyway. Some people are just naturals, not me. I`ll keep trying to bring an original flava to the proceedings, but try to get it a bit grimier, less John Williams and more Diamond D. I have to get digging in those crates. Im going to set up one of my decks so I can get some scratches on my tunes. Stay hard to please and keep saying it how you feel it. I like the way you chop a sample. I respect your opinion. Keep it up man.

Status
Not open for further replies.