What are some of your biggest pains in the butt at the moment regarding beat making?

3ternal

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 3
A big one for me is that my DAW of choice is Reason, which has limited compatibility at times. In my case Reason doesn't have anything resembling Edison in FL. So in order to sample stuff I have to chop the samples in FL and then export them into Reason. That can be such a pain because I have to keep going back and forth between DAW's if the sample is off just a little.

Also have the same deal with loops. If I want to use a loop in Reason I either have to keep it at the tempo that I exported it from FL, or completely recreate the loop within Reason so I have flexibility with it.

I just prefer Reason's interface over FL. I could learn FL and actually was better at FL until I started learning how to use Reason. Once that happened FL just became something I use to make a sketch with before reworking the stuff with Reason. Reason just needs two things: A sample editor comparable to Edison, and the ability to play all audio formats. If it had those I wouldn't even have to use FL.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
A big one for me is that my DAW of choice is Reason, which has limited compatibility at times. In my case Reason doesn't have anything resembling Edison in FL. So in order to sample stuff I have to chop the samples in FL and then export them into Reason. That can be such a pain because I have to keep going back and forth between DAW's if the sample is off just a little.

Also have the same deal with loops. If I want to use a loop in Reason I either have to keep it at the tempo that I exported it from FL, or completely recreate the loop within Reason so I have flexibility with it.

I just prefer Reason's interface over FL. I could learn FL and actually was better at FL until I started learning how to use Reason. Once that happened FL just became something I use to make a sketch with before reworking the stuff with Reason. Reason just needs two things: A sample editor comparable to Edison, and the ability to play all audio formats. If it had those I wouldn't even have to use FL.
You should try out Directwave in FL studio... Add the whole song as a .wav into Directwave and copy it 10 times. This way, you don't have to precut your sample and you're able to (re)set the startingpoint individually.
I always find that pre-chopping the song you sample is killing for creativity.

In general, finding a good bass to suit the sample is kind of a time consuming process. Also when it comes to mixing, the low frequencies are tricky.

I feel like getting the sound right across various listening devices can be a challenge.
Narrow Q 800hz-ish boost on your kicks, got that tip from Chris Lord-Alge, gives them presence on shitty speakers. Also saturation on the bass can add some presence for shitty speakers. The biggest challenge is translation of the low end on speakers that just dont go low, and then having that same song sound great in a car where low end is plentiful.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
There's too much going on in my DAW because of all the plug-ins and features. I feel like I have to keep doing something to my mix.

There's too much going on in my DAW because of all the plug-ins and features. I feel like I have to keep doing something to my mix.
I just copped cubase 11 and its just killed my whole workflow. I just mesh with fl studio. Its like a limb, its part of me now. Might just stick with cubase for recording and fl for production. I even prefer mixing in fl studio, the only thing I dont like about fl is where it puts the recorded audio. Can be a cunt to record with at times.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I just copped cubase 11 and its just killed my whole workflow. I just mesh with fl studio. Its like a limb, its part of me now. Might just stick with cubase for recording and fl for production. I even prefer mixing in fl studio, the only thing I dont like about fl is where it puts the recorded audio. Can be a cunt to record with at times.
See I just can't mess with FL, it seems mad confusing. I'd rather a regular looking DAW that makes sense!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

reason has ReCycle which is better than edison to me

Battle Points: 153
bus routing is fucking magical. It is a thing to behold, on your knees, like a peasant as the greatness of FL Studio routing shines its glory upon thee.
I still cant get a good hold of the bus routing, i often want a full signal of a plugin..without quality being sacrificed and volume going up..and somehow cant seem to manage that.
So i choose 1 plugin sometimes i fully wanna route and send it trough the stereo output to a bus,.but you can only do that 1 time..:cautious:

members online