What are you finding fun in music making?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I’m @2GooD Productions a die hard fan of Black music that spawned from “us” & w/Hip Hop in the aforementioned context I refuse to excuse the excrement (but I don’t pretend prior eras didn’t have it). Ditto for other genres. Aside from that I been busy making.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I’ll @Iron Keys admit when I’m making something, anything, I don’t think. I’m just someone who recognizes the dangers of idiots influencing the current and subsequent generations. But they are doing them. Ignorance is the new cool. Fuck ‘em.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Was surprised to see the change in showcase structure. Not sure its for the best, but time will tell I suppose.

I think in some ways it's better.
For example, I haven't posted in Showcase since I was a just a bambino here on the ill, but I still go Showcase to give feedback now and then (wanting nothing in return). Sometimes the Showcase threads get a bit much for me to try and look through, so other than the initial few beats I probably won't see any.

I think the new way can be cool because it keeps all the feedback in one place, and easy (for others) to also see other feedback given on that beat, things they maybe hadn't considered etc, or things that agree with their own thoughts.

Obviously, it'll be harder to enforce the 'if you post you must give feedback', but if notice people not contributing can perhaps give like temp showcase bans. (Though also, what if that individual isn't/doesn't feel good enough to provide feedback to others?).
But yeah, with the enforced feedback, sometimes you'd see some token feedback or feedback for feedback's sake. Maybe in the new format you'll get more relevant/useful responses?

Just athought or two.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
younger audience open up more to trap and drill, what they are actually listening to.
think for the long term we need to stop being so stuck in our ways and be more welcoming of what hip hop has become

You see, I've long thought about this. But always come to the same conclusion. Majority of kids don't necessarily have the secret inside-ear, and actually are just following whatever everyone else listens to or what they're 'told' to listen to. Obviously, if you're not aware of what that is then that can be useful, but you'll most likely find 'what's already out' which is already old by that point, when really you want to be looking for 'the next thing'. Then, for the ones that are listening to alternative stuff, could it just be that kid is a bit different?

It's not easy to find the emerging trend just by talking to kids, 'cause it's still the rare few who usually contribute to or become aware of it.

As for trap/drill. That shit is all pretty old now. Don't waste your time just making what already exists (if you're trying to get ahead). Just chuck a few hihat triplets and 808 slides in if you need to give it a 'current' edge.

There is stuff that gets released currently that is of a more traditional style hip-hop (avoiding calling it boombap), so yeah. You can always stay doing your thing if you got that old style, but just try bring it into the modern realm. (if that's your goal)

Obviously, it'll be harder to enforce the 'if you post you must give feedback', but if notice people not contributing can perhaps give like temp showcase bans. (Though also, what if that individual isn't/doesn't feel good enough to provide feedback to others?).
But yeah, with the enforced feedback, sometimes you'd see some token feedback or feedback for feedback's sake. Maybe in the new format you'll get more relevant/useful responses?

Just athought or two.
Sometimes when its a noob, you can expect their feedback to not be so detailed, and end up being more token feedback, but, it at least has some aspect of "effort", of respect for the other people that take the time out of their day to try and help you. Its more about give and take and the sharing of thoughts, instead of just take take take. But yeah, maybe a thread specifically for that would be better.
Cant wait to get my laptop back up, Ive missed not being able to make music. I can on this shitty old laptop but its just not the same, I dont even want to waste time installing everything on it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Cant wait to get my laptop back up, Ive missed not being able to make music.

No doubt! people will have to try harder if they know you're battling again!

shitty old laptop but its just not the same, I dont even want to waste time installing everything on it.

How I feel with my shit thing -- still haven't bought new computer. I almost may as well wait for the new chips to come out haha -.-

It probably mostly only holds me back in workflow. But knowing I'm limited like that I can't just freely whack things open or chuck on plugins without thinking about it. Which I think can impact the effort you put in to 'finishing' something properly. But also hopefully give me the knowing of how to keep shit minimal and don't overdo shit for the sake of it.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
I can on this shitty old laptop but its just not the same, I dont even want to waste time installing everything on it.
I had a 2nd pc borrowed from a homie cuz my wives broke. I used it as a chance to try some completely new shit. Just installed the DAW and Audacity, looked up some samples on looperman and lezz giddit.
In those few days experimenting with this stuff i learned a lot about manipulation of samples. Just gotta polish up them skills.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
looked up some samples on looperman

uk grime GIF by niallycat

No doubt! people will have to try harder if they know you're battling again!

How I feel with my shit thing -- still haven't bought new computer. I almost may as well wait for the new chips to come out haha -.-

It probably mostly only holds me back in workflow. But knowing I'm limited like that I can't just freely whack things open or chuck on plugins without thinking about it. Which I think can impact the effort you put in to 'finishing' something properly. But also hopefully give me the knowing of how to keep shit minimal and don't overdo shit for the sake of it.
new cpus are often expensive, but yeah when it comes to buying a computer, might as well call you @OGBama lmao

Jaytreaze

Digging! building that collection and library of records you can throw on even to chill and listen too after youve chopped them up. Digging through discount bins in the downstairs of a record store, finding cheap 45s at markets, everything