What are you finding fun in music making?

I think anyone that creates stuff could easily fall into a depression of sorts. Like making beats - how many times have we questioned our own beats? Over the years I've seen SO many people just on here alone say they were stuck or lacked motivation, and the answer is always to take time off.

But as far trying to find fun in making beats, it could be a combination of stepping away and doing something else, then coming back to it with newfound energy.
man exactly. being an artist kinda sucks from a sane persons point of view anyway. there's a reason parents don't really want their children to end up in this route. I'd even take it a step further and say everyone most likely get depressed at some points anyway, that's just where the current state of life would naturally take anyone.

also side point, but I noticed a notable number of artists do take a natural lean on the more upset/negative side anyway. idk what the correlations mean but they're there.

also while we're at it;
What things (if anything) are bringing actual feeling of 'fun' and enjoyment in regards to music making lately?

Sometimes music-making can feel more like completing a task or solving a problem, but sometimes recently I found myself just finding certain elements really 'fun', and it felt more like I was 'playing' than 'trying to make a beat'. Anything giving you those real fun/playful vibes whilst making?
Honestly, trying new things. that's defo the most fun part for me. where that came from is well, for the longest time I loved recreating. not remakes, but recreating a certain vibe, element, energy, etc. sounding like the people I admire or listen to myself. the first time I figured out how to make the sinewave sound that dr dre uses properly, I was so damn excited. or when I did my first chipmunk sample and went "Holy shit, this is so Kanye". my first electric guitar after listening to indie records and AM. hell, even when I figured how to mix my drums more properly and ended up sounding shiny like dua lipa stuff. everytime I do an orchestra and try new theory or try some instruments together and I go "SHIT, so THIS is the combo they use in every marvel movie", I keep listening to it and adding things, and that feels like I'm a child lost in candyland, picking anything my tiny hands can reach. egh that was too poetic. but yea. another thing is that later on, when I'm doing my own music or making a track for any reason, I can use all the tools I borrowed and put in my toolbox from trying to recreate already-out-there music, I can also combine them with eachother and with my own creativity and basically do whatever the fuck I want, and when get lucky with it & end up creating a whole new vibe & atmosphere (which is my favorite part of music), I quite literally get butterflies.

What's NOT fun for me tho?

well, shit gear is the first nemesis. I Still have to click my melodies in or play them on a qwerty keyboard, the pc would melt if I try to mix anything properly, I can't hear my music decently because I use the built-in soundcard on the motherboard, no monitors either. worse than all is when I'm doing like an orchestra and the pc crashes randomly every 5 or 6 minutes because he's allergic to some instruments, and if I add more than 8 or worse, god forbid, when more than 7 or 8 stuff are playing together, I practically hear noises that translate from "010111011" to "MERCY". I grew the habit of having small projects just because of that. that got better as soon as I realized my parents ain't never gon do nothing about it though. took me 6 years to learn that but I learnt nevertheless. I'm getting my first job this summer, hopefully the midi will come in soon too.

there's also when I'm either doing it for a job or trying to make a beat for someone else, which means it has to be a type beat or has to meet The dumb motherfuckers expectations; so if I don't like them I'll have to be as generic as possible. if I DO Like them and connect with them creatively though, it means as soon as I have a good vamp or melody or... I end up sitting infront of the pc listening to the thing over and over and over and over again, just so I can make sure I'll make it to be exactly what they need it to be; be it a 05 fabolous type beat or a horrorcore ambience. that can be on the less exciting side of things, but I like it when they go "Holy shit how the fuck did you just do that" at the end so, it's aight.

and of course, there's the thing where sometimes I'm either too anxious/depressed to feel anything (like rn), which makes me fall into the overthink route. when that happens, the upside is I learn a lot in theory and I -for some unknown weird reason- magically become good at sampling stuff, but then again I feel impatient, sucks the joy out, I learn too much and get too excited to try them all and sound "Generic", end up making like 9 .flp files in a row without a single one being export worthy, most of them just being chord progressions, n shit like that. not to repeat what @Fade said but he put it pretty accurately, that's literally what makes music not be "fun" for me no more cuz when that's not the case, it's Always fun.

but yea cool question.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
The @Armani reason why parents don’t want children or their child to become an artist is because to the broader society, music is non essential. Think about it: no one literally died or dies from a lack of music. Think about how during COVID no one said “damn we miss music and musicians and entertainment and entertainers in general” hence why the entertainment industry was the first to shut down.

I personally feel music is good for the soul depending on if one is a discerning listener.

What makes music bad is people have an instant gratification view of music as an activity and a view of musicians as entitled and I hate music is viewed as a get rich scheme and hustle (hence why I hate rappers and contemporary “singers” pretending to be “artists”).

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
also while we're at it;

Honestly, trying new things. that's defo the most fun part for me. where that came from is well, for the longest time I loved recreating. not remakes, but recreating a certain vibe, element, energy, etc. sounding like the people I admire or listen to myself. the first time I figured out how to make the sinewave sound that dr dre uses properly, I was so damn excited. or when I did my first chipmunk sample and went "Holy shit, this is so Kanye". my first electric guitar after listening to indie records and AM. hell, even when I figured how to mix my drums more properly and ended up sounding shiny like dua lipa stuff. everytime I do an orchestra and try new theory or try some instruments together and I go "SHIT, so THIS is the combo they use in every marvel movie", I keep listening to it and adding things, and that feels like I'm a child lost in candyland, picking anything my tiny hands can reach. egh that was too poetic. but yea. another thing is that later on, when I'm doing my own music or making a track for any reason, I can use all the tools I borrowed and put in my toolbox from trying to recreate already-out-there music, I can also combine them with eachother and with my own creativity and basically do whatever the fuck I want, and when get lucky with it & end up creating a whole new vibe & atmosphere (which is my favorite part of music), I quite literally get butterflies.

What's NOT fun for me tho?

well, shit gear is the first nemesis. I Still have to click my melodies in or play them on a qwerty keyboard, the pc would melt if I try to mix anything properly, I can't hear my music decently because I use the built-in soundcard on the motherboard, no monitors either. worse than all is when I'm doing like an orchestra and the pc crashes randomly every 5 or 6 minutes because he's allergic to some instruments, and if I add more than 8 or worse, god forbid, when more than 7 or 8 stuff are playing together, I practically hear noises that translate from "010111011" to "MERCY". I grew the habit of having small projects just because of that. that got better as soon as I realized my parents ain't never gon do nothing about it though. took me 6 years to learn that but I learnt nevertheless. I'm getting my first job this summer, hopefully the midi will come in soon too.

there's also when I'm either doing it for a job or trying to make a beat for someone else, which means it has to be a type beat or has to meet The dumb motherfuckers expectations; so if I don't like them I'll have to be as generic as possible. if I DO Like them and connect with them creatively though, it means as soon as I have a good vamp or melody or... I end up sitting infront of the pc listening to the thing over and over and over and over again, just so I can make sure I'll make it to be exactly what they need it to be; be it a 05 fabolous type beat or a horrorcore ambience. that can be on the less exciting side of things, but I like it when they go "Holy shit how the fuck did you just do that" at the end so, it's aight.

and of course, there's the thing where sometimes I'm either too anxious/depressed to feel anything (like rn), which makes me fall into the overthink route. when that happens, the upside is I learn a lot in theory and I -for some unknown weird reason- magically become good at sampling stuff, but then again I feel impatient, sucks the joy out, I learn too much and get too excited to try them all and sound "Generic", end up making like 9 .flp files in a row without a single one being export worthy, most of them just being chord progressions, n shit like that. not to repeat what @Fade said but he put it pretty accurately, that's literally what makes music not be "fun" for me no more cuz when that's not the case, it's Always fun.

but yea cool question.

Thanks for your expert diagnosis. The bum is real.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
The @Armani reason why parents don’t want children or their child to become an artist is because to the broader society, music is non essential. Think about it: no one literally died or dies from a lack of music. Think about how during COVID no one said “damn we miss music and musicians and entertainment and entertainers in general” hence why the entertainment industry was the first to shut down.

I personally feel music is good for the soul depending on if one is a discerning listener.

What makes music bad is people have an instant gratification view of music as an activity and a view of musicians as entitled and I hate music is viewed as a get rich scheme and hustle (hence why I hate rappers and contemporary “singers” pretending to be “artists”).

Care to say this is misread analysis...

During covid lockdown, people flocked to their balconies and windows to sing or music with the neighbourhood, people doing online dj sets, zoom jam sessions, group music projects.

Saying no one died over a lack of music... everyone was dying and people turned to music.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I’m @Iron Keys aware of what people did musically during COVID, I was inspired to make music hence me copping an MPK Mini. I was giving @Armani the other side re: how society views musicians in general: expendable at times. I think they are essential.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
when I figured how to mix my drums more properly and ended up sounding shiny like dua lipa stuff.
you probably said before during that one convo.
but
can you show example of those crisp drums (from dua) and then also your own example, and then also how you 'figured' or what vid/tuts you watched to help you on that path?

Iron Keys and Arvin using antiquated 1950s computers and still whoopin' ya asses. We be gang. Y'all using NASA computers and still can't fix your snares. Y'all be wack.

impatient,
we gang

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The fun of making beats is that it shuts out the world.

We Did It Mic Drop GIF

you probably said before during that one convo.
but
can you show example of those crisp drums (from dua) and then also your own example, and then also how you 'figured' or what vid/tuts you watched to help you on that path?
Nothing here yet.
it's not really THAT neat and I'll probably change so much if I hear it on monitors, but it was huge progress at the time. love it. (I hate the first 30 seconds too, btw)

This is also one of my loudest stuff yet. I'm pretty sure the highs are gonna destroy ears if u listen with a decent sound card because mine can't play highs apparently, also I did notice the kick issue but I still haven't figured how to clean it up cuz it only does the "klkhklkh" thing at some parts of the track. Weirddddddddd.

(put my own insight on them in spoilers in case you wanna form ur own view of them before hearing me nag about my own shit or something.

Also with tuts (what an ugly fucking word), I listed all of them in our discord dms a few convos ago, I'll paste em again when I'm discord.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Nothing here yet.
it's not really THAT neat and I'll probably change so much if I hear it on monitors, but it was huge progress at the time. love it. (I hate the first 30 seconds too, btw)

This is also one of my loudest stuff yet. I'm pretty sure the highs are gonna destroy ears if u listen with a decent sound card because mine can't play highs apparently, also I did notice the kick issue but I still haven't figured how to clean it up cuz it only does the "klkhklkh" thing at some parts of the track. Weirddddddddd.

(put my own insight on them in spoilers in case you wanna form ur own view of them before hearing me nag about my own shit or something.

Also with tuts (what an ugly fucking word), I listed all of them in our discord dms a few convos ago, I'll paste em again when I'm discord.
link a dua lipa track for reference brub

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Nothing here yet.

I definitely think you have that 'crisp'ness down, and I know exactly what you're referring to. Definitely indulge me in the details of learning that.

Buttt, only thing you be missing is the kick. First track sounds non existent, and fairly ghostly on the second --- I also have my monitors turned wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up right now so the fact the kicks are still seeming quite shy is alarmzzz.

I always hate when I get kick samples that sound quite 'plasticcy' (probably ideal for these kind of tracks, 'cause they always sound to me like they'll lack low end, so I beef them up (or opt for others) then it's probably gone too far the other way.

members online