What do you like about FL?

• beat this! voting starts in...

shortt knowtice

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I use reason 4.0 and i'm proud of it goddammit! I still cheat on Reason with FL from time 2 time but my heart is wit Reason...FL is not my "main chick".

LOL at not the main chick...but as 4 me I'm a FL man, maybe its just stubborness or maybe its just destiny (Forreal!! lol) that doesn't allow me to use Reason...I tried for 30 sec, got upset, and LOVED FL ALL OVER AGAIN! not fair but ima loyal customer lol..

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I love FL because it's so easy to use and it's right in your face. I have used it since FL 4 and will continue until I stop making beats altogether. What makes me laugh though is when we tend to say something is "too easy to use or it takes all the work out of it." Isn't that the point of progress and technological advances? It's like someone saying, "Yeah, I flew down to Miami but I felt like a cheated cause I could have just went in my horse and buggy." I know that sounds ridiculous but the point is the same. Just because you are able to do things more efficiently and easier, doesn't make you lazy. It allows you to get more done. That's just my opinion.

blakjustice30

ill o.g.
Whatever works- use that, I know people that still use an old Alesis SR-16 and still makes quality sounds-It's all in mastering what you have and using it to the best of your ability. I've used it for 3 years and love it-I buy more and more sounds and virtual instruments that can turn a computer and a control midi pad and keyboard into a full orchestra. Add some drums, pan some extra sounds, blow some bass on the bottom, add a few plug compressors and you have a hit going. If it sounds good in your head, it will sound better coming out of FL. I have Reasons also (Hate It)-FL is very much streamlined and user friendly. If you use an MPC, some Alesis pad or FL, as long as YOU like your music and people around you enjoy it, then master your craft.- People will never know unless you tell them.

blakjustice30

ill o.g.
Why has dissing become INFUSED into hiphop culture? are we the most insecure people on the planet? I could retaliate and say "yo beatz is whaaaack" but I'm not a prick.

and your beats are quantized like everyone's beats so don't talk. It's not something that you can "turn off." My sequencer can quantize to beats, steps, half steps, quarters, eighths, sixteenths, all the way down to 64ths. Technically you are always quantized. if I want to swing a beat, I quantize to thirds and i swing my snares to the left or right of the bar. If I want to stack a clap or a snare, i offset each sound by a 32nd so that the stack is wider and more natural sounding. If I want my chords to sound more natural I separate them. I'm not a novice and I'm not exclusively "New school," so don't dis randomly if you don't know what you're talking about.

But anyway I produce on FL because I have since I was really young and I'm comfortable with it, but it may be becoming a vice because I'm attached to it. does anyone know of similar but more technical programs because I feel like I have exhausted flstudio as far as I can.

FL Rocks!

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
the shit that kills me is when people hit you with this. 'yo that beat is dope as hell, the production and the mix are dope aswell"! then the question comes, "what do u use"? "I use Fl studio". than the convo becomes dead or a the pissing contest begins with hardware vs software. wth is that about. I know a whole lot of people personally who have mpcs asrs tritons all they use is hardware. and there beats are garbage the mix aswell. If you use Flstudio the keep at it. if it aint broke dont fix it and if you want more than thats cool also. not everyone can afford top of the line equipment. just my honest opinion.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
FL is the shit....

It makes bums like me make dope shit....

It makes bums like me be able to produce a full album of....you guessed it - dope shit...

I say, use what you have, no matter what it is.......get really good with it....and it doesn't matter what you use....as long as the end product is crack....

A lot of people frown on it...and it's a constant discussion/debate on the professional take on the production.......

I remember I made a beat and let someone hear it a while ago and was clowned for using FL studio...

I played another beat for the same dude years later and he automatically thought I used hardware....

COME ON PEOPLE....this is beating a dead horse........I posted a thread with some dude using an MPC 500 and the beat was buttcheeks.......It's who's using it (whatever it is) determines the end product....

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I can use any format and get the same results....Fl just gets the job done quicker...I used to make beats with a Roland R8, analog 4 track, and a 8 second rack sampler...

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Fl is the shit. U can do everything in one program. Record vocals, record midi in...open reason up through reWire. U dont need any other programs to produce a track...If u know it in and out you can do virtually anything u need to in Fl. Throw hypersonic 2, nexus and predator (maybe gladiator) up n a track...take some instruments from Reason, u got all the tools 2 make a hit. U can mix the whole track in fl, use izotope ozone to master it..i mean what CANT u do in fl??

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Cracks me up when people say you are cheating when you use technology. Anyway, FL is tight IMO. The truth is, there are many software apps, many hardware systems and many traditional instruments. To each his own. If you can make a tight beat with FL, MPC2000, a spoon, or whatever you use, use it. It's all about creativity and whatever allows you to express that, it's all gravy. Personally I use FL9 and I am adding an Ensoniq ASR-10 to my arsenal. I was using the ASR-10 before I got into FL. To use them together, well, as soon as I cop one off of ebay, I will see. Remember, people were surprised to find out that 9th Wonder was using FL when he said it. If you didn't know, you would have thought he was using hardware. It's all in how you use it. The most important thing is to be creative and keep making beats.

ill o.g.
I started with an Alesis Sr16 and a tape deck.....then bought a Triton Studio 88. The cost of the TS pretty much pushed me harder to get the most out of it and practice everyday. After I tried the FL5 demo.....I copped that boxed 6XXL and fell in love. I enjoy sampling as well as composing and the TS was good at sampling.....but tedious at times. ESPESCIALLY with drumkits. I wanted to add an MPC to the equation to use for sampling and such but didn't have the dough. I had a laptop and desktop already though. FL Studio saved me from shelling out that paper. To drag and drop is divine. LOFL!!!!!

P.S..... Slice X to Slicer!!!!! Nuff' said.

blakjustice30

ill o.g.
They Hate

I get the impression that some of the music industry doesn't take fl seriously. This annoys me, flstudio is a fantastic program.
I like how everything feels very robotic and clicks into place.
I also love how dark the skin is, for late night track making. What do you all like about fl so much?

that's because everyone wants to make it sound as if it's takes $10,000 worth of gear (or more) when you can get FL, a midi synth, midi drum pad and some virtual software and bang out some hits.

blakjustice30

ill o.g.
Novice?

I think fl is a good program for novices. As you progress in your production methods...you tend to want alil more.

So those "Novices" that make hit songs with FL are what? I got my FL stocked and can do whatever someone does with an MPC. Master your tool is the motto.

blakjustice30

ill o.g.
Mpc

I checked it out and have no diss for FL its a solid platform, I just felt like I was cheating the whole time I was using it. lol
But I'm a hardware head from waaay back.. Long live the MPC!

I can dig it, but Akai wants an arm and a leg for an MPC, you would think buy now those suckas would come down on the price-Oh, and if it breaks-your toast, those dudes make you pay major for refurb or fixes. wack. With FL, things come easy, you can do more in less time, you can make a 6 track song or a 48 track composition. it's up to you, the only things that's limited is the user. Plus I can add sounds and plugs for days- I have created over 100 snares alone in variation.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Fl is cool if u get some quality soft synths to run with it...Alotta dudes dont and u can tell their fuity beats a mile away...thats why it gets the bum rap from ppl. Pro sound guys dont take it seriously because they have programs that sum audio alot better than fl that do the same and more than fl. Eventually FL guys dump their projects to pro tools or logic, s the question is if you have to do that anyway why not just invest in one of those two off rip. I personally fuck with logic cause for 500 dollars you get EVERYTHING to go from scratch tracks to MASTERED final copies....without buying any other additional plug ins....well maybe you might wanna get melodyne.

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I dont think its easy to make music with FL ... Its just a simple sequencer .... Took me like a year to lay a song out in my yamaha dx7II when i first got it ... its always been about the sequencer .... I remember the first time i hit play on my 8 track and my keyboard and drum machine started as well ... I had to use a midiman to make it all work by putting a timing noise on 1 track .... those was the days .... But i can make a track just as fast on my asr-10, mv-8800, pro tools or FL ... Some of the dopest beats I ever heard was made by a friend of mine on a playstation 2 .... Like WTF ... Whats next ... lol