What is the best Drummachine?

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Hi yall.

I use Reason to make my drumming. But I don't use it for anything else then the drums so I wanted to know if you have any fav drum machines?

Since reason takes up 25% of CPU power when opened I wanted to investigate other possibilities.

Reason? Battery? and so on....

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Buy more memory for your pc

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I prefer reason. . .

but i try to use battery 2 everynow and then. thats my only alternative.

and why in the hell is reason takin up 25% cpu power? something has to be wrong there. I'm rockin the latest version of reason on a measley 512mb of RAM.. and it takes up about 1-2% computer power..

u might need to defrag ur harddisk.. that usually helps. and also check ur buffer size.. u usin ASIO, WDM, or DX?

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It really sounds like a lack of memory to me, and checking the drivers and buffer size is a great suggestion too. And as sanova is saying that 24% sounds overly high, so i guess i should have started by asking what the specs on your machine are.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
No no. I have no problems with CPU power. I've just heard that it takes 25% wahtever CPU you have. It is set that way and I just thought it sounded unnessesary

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
it may be false the it takes 25%. It takes up unnesessaraly much since I use Cubase with Reason rewired. I'm just looking into other possibilities

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
O well i dont think thats true. I think in re:wire mode it will probably add a little more strain as that is to be expected as you have to audio programs open and running at the same time. But i dont think it takes 25% as a standard figure, the number rises and falls with the amount of refills and effects etc that you have running. On top of that the soundcard and drivers your using should also help decrease the CPU workload as well.

If you are having performance issues though a bump in the ram is a nice quick fix (assuming you have a decent enough pc), and it will help your machine cope better with the multitasking

I dont have much experince but from what ive heard about them wouldn't (good) VSTs have a bigger performance hit than reason, especially considering the way you rewire reason

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
On the bottom right hand corner of reason there is an LED indicator letting you know how much CPU power ur using up.. that usually doesnt get too high in reason. and sometimes in cubase if u have a lotta VSTs workin it can get up there

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
CPU isn't really a problem for me. I have anough. I just wanted to know that's all. I really don't know alot about what to use.

BFD and FX pansion looks awesome. I've checked some out before. A bit expencive tho

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
oh i heard novation drumstation... wait tahts not a vst... sorry i only messed with battery 2. but its really good so try it out if u dont already have it

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
I might do that. I quite like the sound of the Reason machine but I dislike the shuffle function. I like the shuffle more in FL but FL has to sharp sound I think.

I'll just stick with the shuffle in Reason and try a newer version I think

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
try playing the drums from ur keyboard (or just the hi hats or whatever u wanna shuffle). cuz of course ur keys can control the redrum, so just play out ur hats or whatever on the keys, under an automatic USER quantize, that should help

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Yeah thanks guys. It seems like there aren't any WOW program out there so I'll stick to Reason wich I know how to use.

Thanks.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
First: CPU power has nothing to do with RAM. Upgrading the amount of memory you have will do ZERO for your CPU power. If you're at 25% usage with Reason open, the only way to make that any lower would be to get a faster processor.

Second - Use Battery/Battery2, and if you like analog drums, Waldorf Attack. Another drum source that most people don't really get into is Reaktor. You can also use FL Studio as a VST instrument from within Cubase or Sonar.

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
konceptG said:
First: CPU power has nothing to do with RAM. Upgrading the amount of memory you have will do ZERO for your CPU power. If you're at 25% usage with Reason open, the only way to make that any lower would be to get a faster processor.

Is that your professional opinion?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
A B said:
Is that your professional opinion?

LOL. . . yea. . . cuz the lil indicator doesn't indicate CPU "Power" at all... it indicates CPU USAGE. . . as in memory. . .as in RAM. . .

also... i have a Pentium 4, and i experienced some problems of the same context in Sonar 6... do to my ram.. I have a 250gb SATA Harddrive at 7200 rpms as well. . . so...... yea..... its the ram[dotdotdot]

members online