What kind of Instruments do you use?

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
What are your favorite kinds of instruments to use? Guitars, Pianos, Strings, Synths, Ethnic, all of the above, somethin besides the above? What are they?

Also, does anyone record themselves playing an instrument and use it in their beats?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Rhodes, guitars, and organs... flutes, pianos, horns and strings, and synth sounds. all my beats are solely me playing.

ill o.g.
I love pianos,

i got mad piano solo records. In my opinion the piano could be one of the most versatile kind of sounds.

But i got a guitar and i can always add a little something in the back of a beat to give the beat more fullness.

But definitely piano is my favorite.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Piano is a good ass instrument to use..its one of my favorites but I dont think any instrument can do wut a violin can do..u can either play that shyt soft to an emotional beat or real rugged and crazy wit the drums bumpin!!! To me there aint nuttin better than a violin...

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
the low end of the piano is so tight for hip hop beats. also i like to use different guitar sounds, mainly electric.

the instruments i try to avoid are things like trumpets and saxophones, because if u use them for the lead melody, it usually comes out sounding cheap and corny. they are good for little background sounds though.

sAfE

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
helix said:
I love pianos,

i got mad piano solo records. In my opinion the piano could be one of the most versatile kind of sounds.

But i got a guitar and i can always add a little something in the back of a beat to give the beat more fullness.

But definitely piano is my favorite.

Agreed
Every single beat i have made has had some type of piano sound in it. THat is my base instrament. All my beats start with a piano.

But i also like rhods, strings, and BELLS!!!

I think melodic bells are the most overlooked instrament

clas...

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I like pianos in beats, but some of the best beats i've made have guitars and strings in them. I like to play live guitar and sample myself.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
^^^ lol no ones said drums......... (jk)

are drums classed as an instrument?

sAfE.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Rhythmikal said:
the low end of the piano is so tight for hip hop beats. also i like to use different guitar sounds, mainly electric.

the instruments i try to avoid are things like trumpets and saxophones, because if u use them for the lead melody, it usually comes out sounding cheap and corny. they are good for little background sounds though.

sAfE

I feel what u said about sax, but u can find some dope ass trumpets when chopped proper shit is fire.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
its all about the strings... covers such a wide area... love my strings... stabs are good... i personally love horns... and sax etc... piano is cool... but i prefer to sample piano... but my favourite instrument is the cymbal... trust me...

C

Carpe Diem

^^^Too many people are sleeping on Harps....

I also love flutes, sound nice on a good beat

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
I play bass, and rhodes. The rhodes is a key by key sample of my brother's rhodes that I made on my eps-16+. I also scratch on every track I make.

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
personally, im a strings guy. I like the dark and epic things you can do with a good strings section or the middle eastern sound you can make if you use the violin right. I agree with Rhythmikal, the low end of the piano is perfect for hip hop. Guitar only sounds good when it is played live. I've tried to use patches as substitutes for the real thing but it ends up sounding completely whack. Thats why I'm taking guitar lessons now. Soon I'll be able to record myself.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Yoooooooooo, I play the guitar but strangely enough I NEVER incorporate it into my hip hop PRO-duction. When I add a guitar effect to my beats, it usually a chopped samples or I play it off my sound module.

I also fiddle with that piano too, I was 100% sound module driven at first but now I'm starting to incorporate other stuff cuz I gets bored easily!

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sampled horns are too nice. plus some traditional african instruments for percusion. Oh... and if the human voice can be classified as an instrument then vocal samples are nice ( not sped up though, I'm just not good at that shi)

I play guitar but, like shadeed, I dont really sample myself playing. i like recording myself doing a little backround vocalising, but I dont do that too much.