When you first started producing

M

Musha

I thought it would be interesting to ask you all to see the different answers:

When did you first start Producing?

What did you use when you first began?

How long have you been doing it now?

Any great accomplishments?

As for me it started a few years ago with my homie wendell he had produced for many years in the past I had only played instruments but had wanted to make beats for awhile before we started. We went halfs on a casio wk1600 and used that for awhile recording cassette tapes from the keyboard to the stereo haha. It was fun though especially cuz we were roomate at the time. Things have definatley changed alot since then but got a long way to go

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
Musha said:
I thought it would be interesting to ask you all to see the different answers:

What did you use when you first began?

As for me it started a few years ago with my homie wendell he had produced for many years in the past I had only played instruments but had wanted to make beats for awhile before we started. We went halfs on a casio wk1600 and used that for awhile recording cassette tapes from the keyboard to the stereo haha. It was fun though especially cuz we were roomate at the time. Things have definatley changed alot since then but got a long way to go

1. nearly 2 years ago

2. fruityloops, still using it to this day

3.near to 2 years

4.on 2 underground hiphop cds, beats played on 1xtra, a digital hiphop radio station in uk, did a track for a new signing on Sony

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
1. 4 years ago
2. hip hop ejay (bwahjahahahahahahahah)
3. now i use samplitude with the mpc 1k

4. 3 full-length lps, with the latest being signed to a distribution deal, with 2 12 inch singles and a new lp on the way .... production for 2mex, Life Rexall, Move.Meant, Earthrealm, and various undeground artists///

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I've been producing over 10 years
I started using a Boss Dr.550, Tascam analog 4 track, and some real cheap yamaha keyboard.

I've worked with Lil Flip, AZ and B-Legit ..... nothing ever came of it financially but the experience is worth a lot.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
classic said:
no real accomplishments yet

What do you mean? You've accomplished a lot! First you did that movie Friday, then it was that other flick with Charlie Sheen, and who could forget all the Def Comedy Jams?

For me:

1. 1997
2. Roland R-70 drum machine, Akai S-20, Yamaha keys (PS195 LOL), of course my turntables, Cakewalk Pro Audio 8.
3. 2004-1997 = 7 years
4. Nothing "great" with producing, except that I've definitely found my own style now and I would like to release some CD's very soon.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Fade said:
What do you mean? You've accomplished a lot! First you did that movie Friday, then it was that other flick with Charlie Sheen, and who could forget all the Def Comedy Jams?

For me:

1. 1997
2. Roland R-70 drum machine, Akai S-20, Yamaha keys (PS195 LOL), of course my turntables, Cakewalk Pro Audio 8.
3. 2004-1997 = 7 years
4. Nothing "great" with producing, except that I've definitely found my own style now and I would like to release some CD's very soon.
lol

I cant lie though i have gotten alot of snatch for lookin like him. I guess thats accomplishment

your still a tool fade!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clas.....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
1. 'bout 12 years ago.

2. I had a Yamaha psr and a Passport 8bit soundcard with Passport Trax software. A year later I was over the noob fase running FT2 with a Juno106 and Tr808

3. I lost virginity at around my 14th birthday, thanx for showing interest.

4. For what hiphop concerns a lot of local venues and "releases", it's not that impressive overhere. One track with a "wellknown" dutch mc but Im working with talented people though, dutch and english lyrics. My best accomplishment in this is learning noobs to what they need to know and with my companions try building a scene for the sake of our disatisfactions. I have no expectations, just live hiphop day by day in orderly fashion. Since 2 years I've been active towards the commercial aspect of producing pretty much everything I feel or consider a challenge to do because It's a maiden voyage into a whole different direction. I'm still not producing anything concrete since our studio is to be completly finished in begin October, but I've co-produced/arranged/mixed/mastered for a customer with my engineer for 3 groove releases for a big US labeland international distribution. These singles are in a lot of dj top10's, meaning in many recordbags of (un)known dj's. We've recorded a weird fucking poetry album where I have 2 or 3 production with national distribution and its getting mad reviews from the "artyfarty" people. The rest of the time I've spent consulting recording sessions on specific gear/fx and their settings and some mastering jobs. Actualy just out of boredom and to gain some perspective. This has resulted to some very nice tracks and good contract offers which I turned down since my setup isnt finished. That's it sofar for what producing concerns.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
i started in 1997 wit fruity 2. something

now i use any vsts i can find use for with fl studio and sonar 3

7 years in the game

only acomplishment really was a local signin back when i was like 17 but it was a raw deal and i didnt go for it. i probably would have gotton alot of exposure but i would have worked like a slave and not made any loot.

got an album coming out wit my homeboy "J Cro Presents Psycho Jesus - Passions of Christ"
this album i definitly think will make some impact.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
1. 1998

2. Playstation Music Generator

3. for about 6 years

Just finished Producin a Complilation. which you can hear the snippets to.

Produced and co-wrote a song for this female that got her signed to some label under sony.

other shit i can remember.

o yea gotta distribution deal.

lookin at major distribution from universal.

some other shit i cant remember.

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
1. i started about 4 years ago in a high school music program, then went on a little hiaetus after i finished the course cuz i had no equipment, then started up with my own equipment 1 year ago

2. Roland XP-10/Cubasis at school.....Reason 2.5/Pro Tools/Turntables/G4 Powerbook once i got my own equipment a year ago

3. Only 1 year seriously

4. I've sold a few tracks. Am currently attending Full Sail in Orlando for Recording Arts. I've also had the opportnity to meet some famous dudes and link them my beat CD's, (Pharell, D-12 (minus eminem), Slum Village, Kardinal) althought nothing has come of it as of yet.

T

The Bastard

When did you first start Producing? 2 years ago

What did you use when you first began? acid and vhs tapes

How long have you been doing it now?same question as the first isnt it?

Any great accomplishments?i got my beat on a known local mcs album which i hype maned live at a show,that was a rush

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1. Since like 16 on and off (mostly off)

2. Mtv music generator, tascam 4track.
Belt drive gemeni turntables

3. Seriously for like a year now (still off and on tho... Mostly on this time.lol)

4. No great acomplishments as a Producer yet.
1 as a dj tho openin for Mobb deep backin a local act @ B.B.kings in Ny.

(Wish I was serious about producing when I was younger. Have a friend I went to skool with who's now a platinum producer. All yall 16 year olds on the board stick with it. And by the time ur the ripe old age of 23 like me.lol ud be done accomplisshed a lot of shit.... Maybe even platinum plaque like my friend.. )

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
DJ Hoppa said:
1. 4 years ago
2. hip hop ejay (bwahjahahahahahahahah)
3. now i use samplitude with the mpc 1k

4. 3 full-length lps, with the latest being signed to a distribution deal, with 2 12 inch singles and a new lp on the way .... production for 2mex, Life Rexall, Move.Meant, Earthrealm, and various undeground artists///

dont trip

started like about 2000

ejay hip hop(Yeah Baby, lol) use fruity and reason now.

seriously since about 2002

accomplishments nothing yet, making beats for me and my boys album, we're doing our second album now, making beats for other local kats and thats it.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
1. started back in 1998 but got serious in like late '99 2000...

2. Boss dr-5 (lol, classic machine) and Fruity Loops...

3. Im still usin fruity loops, learning reason and i also use a triton and mp-7...

4. Workin on 2 albums.. 1 is for the crew Common Threat (shit is fire so far) and another is a more personal joint...

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
When did you first start Producing? late 80's

What did you use when you first began? technics 1200, asr10

How long have you been doing it now? this is the same question as the first

Any great accomplishments? i went to jail getting money for equipment. a life of addiction,
IF IM GONNA SELL IT THEN YOU KNOW IM GONNA USE IT
IM ADDICTED TO THIS HIP_HOP MUZIK

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
I started producing about a year ago with acoustica mp3 mixer but got serious about about 3-4 months ago. And i have bot got any real accomplishments YET.

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
Made my first joint in the summer of 2001 n i still got the file to this day

What did you use when you first began? FL 3.4

Been almost 3 yrs now and its all about constant progression, ALWAYS learning. I rock FL Producer Edition now along wit Cool Edit Pro 2. I also got some gemini turntables that i sample vinyl from. I got a bullshit casio keyboard that i use as a midi controller to play out basslines or samples. I also got tons of plugins n about 4/5 gbs of samples like one hits n such. Most of my work is done in FL.

Ive been working wit mostly local cats, nothing serious poppin off yet, but its jus not my time at the moment. When the time comes though, believe me i will be prepared. Ive sold one beat online n thats about it. Only true accomplishments been the birth of my son. Makes me realize wats really important in life.

However, be on the look out for EQ Entertainment. Bout to hit the airwaves strong in Upstate NY so check us out.