Where is Hiphop going? Any predictions for 08/09?

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
hip hop??? Do we still have a genre called hip hop, that shit has been dead.....except for a hand full of cats that keep it alive

It can't be dead AND alive at the same time! ahaha

But seriously, I honestly believe as long as there are people out there holdin hip hop down, it won't ever die.

Edit -- Just saw the replys on page 2, my bad.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Hip Hop is alive and well in the US. You just aren't going to see or hear of it on mainstream TV and radio. Pop is what is featured in the mainstream media. I have been around since the beginning. I remember Hip Hop's infancy. I was very excited. I was like, hey! Music made for me. I couldn't believe it. I loved it all. I used to break when I was a kid. I have been DJing since I was 14-15 years old. I even started rapping back then also. I never got into the graffiti side of it though. I can't draw worth a shit. LOL! But yeah, Hip Hop is alive in the US. It just happens to be alive in a lot of our hearts and souls just not mainstream America.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hip Hop is alive and well in the US. You just aren't going to see or hear of it on mainstream TV and radio. Pop is what is featured in the mainstream media. I have been around since the beginning. I remember Hip Hop's infancy. I was very excited. I was like, hey! Music made for me. I couldn't believe it. I loved it all. I used to break when I was a kid. I have been DJing since I was 14-15 years old. I even started rapping back then also. I never got into the graffiti side of it though. I can't draw worth a shit. LOL! But yeah, Hip Hop is alive in the US. It just happens to be alive in a lot of our hearts and souls just not mainstream America.

Yeah , hip hop ,its a way of life that doesnt involve always wearing your pants around your knees.
Hell.. Its a mindstate.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
^^LOL! Yeah. No shit. Pull your damned pants up you crazy kids. Hehehe!^^

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
For example, Like how many times are we gonna hear that same beat beyonce first used for irreplacable? .. ne-yo chaged the chord and basically re-used it. then chris brown changed the chord and used it again, and then the other day i just heard some pop/rock chick use it again.. same beat, same EXACT sounds, just a diffent key. Its pretty ridiclous.

That's the exact shit I was ranting about last week.
I was shocked when I first heard that Jordin Sparks "Tattoo".
Shit is unbelievable.

Rappers are gettin lazy, producers are gettin lazy, labels just want to milk money off artists.
What the fuck can we do?

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
That's the exact shit I was ranting about last week.
I was shocked when I first heard that Jordin Sparks "Tattoo".
Shit is unbelievable.

lol i heard the Jordin Sparks joint today at the barbers, crazy, but Stargate produced it. Thats their sound. Labels are paying for it, and they are delivering.

Hiphop isnt dead, and also hiphop is not a product of the mainstream.
Its a product of the streets that was taken under the wing of the mainstream "POP" industry, when they realized the great money that could be made from it. Hiphop is a victim of the industry, taken in and abused for monetary gain. Now hiphop as a mainstream music, I think very well could be dead.
What people call hiphop on the mainstream nowadays just isnt hiphop, its POP plain and simple.
So to me to hear the phrase hiphop is dead, just means hiphop as a cash cow is dead. Its been played out in the mainstream world. I think the "dumbed down" offshoot of hiphop that we see in the mainstream now will continue to play on the radios as long as the kids keep buying it, so the mainstream products will always be geared toward the lowest common denominator as G, so very well points out.
As for hiphop, i think it has come back home, to the underground from whence it came. Its the underground-ness, of hiphop that is its power. Its the struggle of the downtrodden in lyrical form, its tales of social injustice in poetry form. Its about empowering neighbourhoods through an education they would otherwise not receive in the schools.
Its the rules of the street, not the rules of the Bentley, Lex, Ice, Gold or any other bullshit you simply dont see on the street. If you go around all blinged up in most places around here your liable to get your arse robbed.
The thing was, the strength of hiphop is what made it popular(in the underground) its was the crossovers "Walk This Way", "Rapture", "Beastie Boys" etc along with films like beatstreet, breakdance etc that opened up the white music buying public to the thing that was hiphop. Once this happened the doors were opened into the music industry for hiphop. And the cash started flowing, the public lapped up hiphop and so large profits were made. Slowly changes started to happen with hiphop, it was merged with rnb by people like Puffy(giving it even more mass appeal, maiking it more popular with the ladies so doubling potential sales)P.Diddy got very rich of this.
Slowly as the novelty of hiphop wore off, they started to market it more and more to the lowest common denominator to maximaise profit. As the mainstream hiphop music declined in quality due to the appealing to the "LCD" another thing happened which caught out the whole industry, the internet and piracy.
And now we are here, great hiphop still in the underground(hiphops birthplace and real home), and something in the mainstream perceived to be hiphop - HIP POP. The fad of concious hiphop is dead in the mainstream, but will live on for a long time(because of its quality as an artform)for a very long time to come yet.
As long as there are people downtrodden and struggling to escape the horrors of a fucked up situation, and there is a beat to poetically tell the story over, there will be hiphop.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^^ great post. i agree. hip hop is not dead. I think hip hop headz are just disgruntled. The people, esp those like myself that "grew up" with hip hop are unsatisfied/unfuffilled. Frankly, alot of shit is just boring to me. Im sick of nerd/preacher raps over 93 era beats just as much as im sick of the i hustle-an-rap-on-the-side flow over the casio beats. They are both played out to my ears. Im def not one of these cats that wants to "bring it back" but at the same time i dont like where its headed. Truth be told I only really fuck wit a handful of artists. The majority are offering nothing new,original, or stimulating to my ears, underground or not.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I thought the new roots album would give good hip hop a shot in the arm... but noone around me seems to be feeling it as much as i am.

I am just waiting for the tide of lil waynes to go out, the mixtape culture is NOT good for the progression and health of this genre.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I think people are really gonna take notice to dope beats and rhymes with substance. cause since the turn of ringtone rap real music has been overlooked. anyone cop that formula album yet? Imma cop the rising down and the formula next week.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I thought the new roots album would give good hip hop a shot in the arm... but noone around me seems to be feeling it as much as i am.

I am just waiting for the tide of lil waynes to go out, the mixtape culture is NOT good for the progression and health of this genre.

The roots album wasent HOT IMO,

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Was just peeping Mecca & The Soul Brother today.. man those beats, Pete Rock did back then are way better than most cats been making now..

Hiphops been slacking, ( and yes me too.. )

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Was just peeping Mecca & The Soul Brother today.. man those beats, Pete Rock did back then are way better than most cats been making now..

Hiphops been slacking, ( and yes me too.. )

Mecca and The Soul Brother is a timeless album...I can listen to that album anytime and it will never get old. That is what seperates great albums fromt the good.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
a lot of interesting points in here...

a few of my own points

i think we need to remember when hip hop first started it wasn't controlled by anyone it was being made by the people for the people as the music industry took notice they changed it and moulded it into what it needed to be in order to sell the most records the music industry is a business and thats what businesses do they make money! so theres not point in comparing hip hop now to hip hop years ago when it was a new genre its never going to be that again no matter how much people want it to be! theres a lot of crap around now but there always has been its just recently more of that crap is 'hip hop' style crap soldier boi etc... where as before it would have been cheesy pop or watered down rock music! i don't like a lot of the maufacutred hip hop like soldier boi etc but that doesnt effect hip hop imo theres still good music being made in the genre, peoples tastes change tho i dont listen to as much hip hop as i did, a lot of the artists i did like i havent been impressed with their latest stuff! someone mentioned the roots earlier and thats a good example of this.

hip hop in pop form is always going to be around to some extent it will just foollow the cycle of whats hot in the pop scene one minute its indie the next its dance the next its hip hop etc. and in the same way underground hip hop will always be there as well there will always be those who do it for the love not the money! the problem is with the money on offer these days its hard to say no im sure a lot of people on here would happily sign that contract for a few million! i know i would musics important to me but not as important as being able to live a comfortable life provide for everyone etc. and when this moneys being offered to people who in a lot of cases have come from having nothing of course there guna take that money.

sampling in hip hop i think is on the way out because of the royalty issue i think sampling as a musical form tho is definitely not going to die out re-hashing things in art is the way of the post modern era so thats here to stay!

i have lost a lot of intrest in hip hop at the moment because i don't think theres that much about that i like, there a few artists but its not the fact theres a lot of crap about that bothers me more that there doesnt seem to be as much good stuff as well. Im still pretty young but i already feel like a lot of hip hop ive grown out of! the glorification of gangster life etc gets pretty tired and if its not that its someone talking about sex or woteva take flo rida i don't really want to hear how some 6ft 200 pound + musclely dude likes to have sex! seriously..... it's retarded!

I have heard a couple great tracks lately, Presto's "Conquer Mentally" feat Sadat X & Large Professor is great and like a breath of fresh air. I still have hope for good hiphop, I havent lost my faith yet. Piracy has killed the money making potential of music, the real hiphop aint about the bank balance.
The other track that I really like is "Rollin" also feat Sadat X & AG on Junkyard JuJu's(Beatnuts) myspace page, i think its an older track but Ive never heard it and its dope.

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
I was reading through the posts here, never knew European hip-hop was known in places other than Europe. I myself am English, but i dont really like Uk hip-hop and don't really know of any European hip-hop. i dont really know why, but i have a huge stigma against hip-hop from outside the USA. i really cant explain this, other than USA really is the birthplace of hip-hop and is where its most prominent. its kinda weird, but i hate exactly what i am, people who arent involved in the hip-hop scene but are totally immersed in it.
i defend this myself, by sayin i connect to hip-hop in a way that i feel other dont, but this is a blind argument
does any1 else feel like this? a huge stigma of hip-hop outside america, for no plausible reason?

not sure about hip-hop in the future, but remember hip-hop is built on the thoery of unknowin, its built on creativity and originality, breakin the mould. therefore, wouldnt it be impossible to predict where hip-hop is headin?

Edit* i'd also like to note here, i get the impression that many of you here are older, and are much more aware of hip-hop at its origin here. mainstream american hip-hop is all ive really known

i also realise i have made many many contradictions here. i tend to do that alot

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
2nd_Man; said:
I was reading through the posts here, never knew European hip-hop was known in places other than Europe. I myself am English, but i dont really like Uk hip-hop and don't really know of any European hip-hop. i dont really know why, but i have a huge stigma against hip-hop from outside the USA. i really cant explain this, other than USA really is the birthplace of hip-hop and is where its most prominent. its kinda weird, but i hate exactly what i am, people who arent involved in the hip-hop scene but are totally immersed in it.
i defend this myself, by sayin i connect to hip-hop in a way that i feel other dont, but this is a blind argument
does any1 else feel like this? a huge stigma of hip-hop outside america, for no plausible reason?

not sure about hip-hop in the future, but remember hip-hop is built on the thoery of unknowin, its built on creativity and originality, breakin the mould. therefore, wouldnt it be impossible to predict where hip-hop is headin?

Edit* i'd also like to note here, i get the impression that many of you here are older, and are much more aware of hip-hop at its origin here. mainstream american hip-hop is all ive really known

i also realise i have made many many contradictions here. i tend to do that alot

Life is full of contridictions so dont sweat that, I used to dislike hiphop outside the US, but actually its getting quite a bit better , Check out Stig of the Dump. I love that cat, even though many hate him! lol
Stig is an ILL ass freestylist!
The french ( although I hate to admit it lol) have done a really nice job with hiphop.I just dont speak french, but its certified nice I thinks.
I aint really feeling the German scene but Im sure there may be a good cat or 2 there I havent heard..
Hell on this site we have cats in lithuainia all the way to Isreal and new zeland, the swiss netherlands, parts of africa! All VERY good beat makers.
I think you have a point on the actual RAPPING though, it still throws me off sometimes if the accent doesnt grab me..That being said there are def some english and aussy blokes Im feeling.
Still cant beat the birthplace though! (NYC)

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I can understand to some extent not liking non-US rappers. I know when I was younger and a few Aussie rappers where coming up I used to cringe when I heard it. But it's improved a lot and I like the different accents. IMO Hip-Hop is about being yourself and being proud of it. What's much worse is UK, Aussie or other rappers putting on an American accent and using ghetto slang that nobody uses outside of the US uses except for try hard wankers. Be yourself.

members online