Who/How/What To Study Regarding Music Production

3ternal

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 3
Not having access to formal education isn't a good excuse in 2020. 20-30 years ago that would pass. Now everything you could possibly need is on the internet. You can find things to read, videos to watch, whosampled to identify and even search for samples etc. Honestly you don't even have to pay for half the software you use if you don't want to. Learn to be resourceful and solve problems, that's what making beats is all about.

As for what things you need to study, the answer is: Yes. Study everything you possibly can that's relevant to what you want to make. That's why it takes so long, you can only learn so much so fast. You're always in a state of learning things, and then learning to incorporate them into your music. That all takes time (measured in years and decades) and dedication.

If you wanna make good music you have to be in it for the long haul. You have to get to the point in your life where that's basically your only focus. Then you have to maintain that over years. That's the only way you can even possibly get "good" fast. Even then, with great discipline, you're still looking at a minimum 4-5 years of experience to get to that point (unless you're a kid, then you can learn and retain information faster and presumably have more free time).

Just being honest with you. Only you know how bad you want it. If you want it that bad then you have to start training yourself to be disciplined. Can't be watching TV or browsing the internet or whatever else all day long. You literally have to replace all the things you're dedicating (or wasting) time on to doing something/anything that will make you a better musician. The information is all there to be had.

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
To get your feet wet, you don't even need to learn music theory right away. Download some charts on keys, scales, and chords. I have charts for both piano keys and MPC pads.

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
When you need a break from learning music stuff learn Music Business stuff. the most important shit a writer/emcee/beatmaker
should know afaik is how and when to complete a split sheet, who gets paid for their publishing licensing when a song they wrote gets big and how to change that, how to get their song or project ready for commerce, in short. emcees dont know what to do with it. the most common answer would be put it online, ok. wow. lets get paid. Then they say streaming but without your shit lookin right the streaming services wont just play whatever you email them... guess it wasn't short afterall...too many emcees sharpen their weapons just to throw them in a neglected toolbox. no matter how much you know, someone is waiting somewhere to exploit your talent, and that's fine, that's what we want, but the more you know about the money side of the music business, the better you will be able to negotiate the associated licensing fees to be properly paid for the use of your work.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@3ternal I'm done with excuses re: music education

@Iron Keys those 2 things are what I'll consciously aim for.

@Bino5150 I'm diggin' MPC Beats DAW as I got it when I purchased my MPK Mini MK3

@2GooD Productions I'm strictly the software and keyboard controller route via my MPK Mini MK3 as my aim is to be a gear minimalist

@Crispifier the keys on the MPK MK3 I got got me hyped to learn piano

@EsquireMusic111 as I never had much formal music education I see theory as a language so that's what drives me to learn it.

@Primz I've found finger drumming tutorials

Last edited:
@3ternal I'm done with excuses re: music education

@Iron Keys those 2 things are what I'll consciously aim for.

@Bino5150 I'm diggin' MPC Beats DAW as I got it when I purchased my MPK Mini MK3

@2GooD Productions I'm strictly the software and keyboard controller route via my MPK Mini MK3 as my aim is to be a gear minimalist

@Crispifier the keys on the MPK MK3 I got got me hyped to learn piano

@EsquireMusic111 as I never had much formal music education I see theory as a language so that's what drives me to learn it.

@Primz I've found finger drumming tutorials
This is awesome, i respect finger drummers. Iv heard some crazy compositions

I started off being inspired by musicians and trying to emulate them. Its good to do that for a while as you learn how other people put things together. Ultimately you want to graduate past that but everyone does it. I think the most important thing is putting in the hours. Being consistent. Being patient. You have to make something that you enjoy intrinsically if you're gonna do it for the long haul. Hopefully other people will feel it because it's authentic or quirky or different. Don't be scared by the dogma of music production and people on forums who parrot all the prescribed notions of how you should use an eq, or compression or reverb. There is a science to it but music is also an art and some people forget that.

1 simple thing...swing-either don't quantize your beats to bars when you make them-or subtly adjust the swing afterward-honestly...lol, for years i had no idea! everything i made from before i appreciated swing makes me agonise about how much a little swing would have sorted it right out... It;s as if my brain switches off when it knows the exact microsecond the beat is going to land on-but a wee bit of swing to keep the subconscious guessing really pulls you in-plus it can really get your head nodding when it's right.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
I would co-sign most everybody else's pointers around music production and drumming. I'll say it's important to learn the following:

Rhythm:
No you're not born with it and yes it can be learned. By rhythm I mean, groove. Down beats versus up beats. Strong beats, weak beats, syncopations and in between notes. Rushing vs. dragging. WHY you should rush in a situation and why your should drag in a situation. How does rhythm drive, ropel and push your tune further?

Melody:
not music theory, scales or fancy musical notation. Genuine fucking melody. Can you remember it? Can you hum it? Can you remember it well enough to hum it after the song has ended? Is it memorable enough, that if you hummed it to a friend, they would recognize it (granted you could carry a tune lol)
the Beatles were slightly above average musicians at best - but fuck if they could put together a melody. Sometimes a knack for a hook can outshine a terrible mix, lack of harmony, and cut+copy+paste drums.

Drums:
How to drums work? Not just in beats and bangs and transients, but how does a drumkit function? At least for me, making jazz influenced/boom bap style drums - a sense of realism is crucial. The average drummer, only has 4 limbs (i hope! lol). How many pieces of the kit can those 4 limbs play at once? What to pieces of kit are possible to play at the same (definitely not a Closed hat AND Open Hat at the same time). Is your drummer a double pedal kick type? Can he/she play a snare two cymbals, snare and tom at the same time? Maybe the drummer from Def Leppard ;)

DRUMS vs MELODY

on this topic, i alwaaays used to start with drums first. I used to see it as building a foundation.
Building a groove for the rest to sit on.

I've now tried changing that and starting with melody first.

Both ways are workable.

Timbaland... probably best known for his drums. Most often starts with melody first I believe.

What it comes down to (depending on your goal i guess) is finding something infectious... whether that's a melody, sound, or groove, and then adding to it.

You've got to remember...
I start with melody these days, then create a groove to suit the melody, sort of a fill in the gaps type of thing. I found that when I started with drums Id often have to change them later to suit the melody, so switched it up to save 5 mins hahahahaha

@OGBama I wouldnt worry about sound design yet, but try to get to grips with ADSR, attack, decay, sustain and release.
Good youtube channels are "produce like a pro", "in the mix", "you suck at producing", "rick beato", there are others but cant think of them right now

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
I start with melody these days, then create a groove to suit the melody, sort of a fill in the gaps type of thing. I found that when I started with drums Id often have to change them later to suit the melody, so switched it up to save 5 mins hahahahaha
Actually surprises me that you work this way.... tho, probably shouldnt!

But this is the thing, I found when I made drums first you kind of 'play to the drums', and the groove kinda dictates your melody or such.

But I prefer now as we do, just allow yourself the freedom to create a cool melody or hook, then find your own groove to it.

It reminds me of Timbaland's Masterclass, where he picks a preexisting melody and kinda beatboxes what someone may do, then beatboxes what he would do. It's kind of finding your own pockets that suit the sound.

nonameswifi

If your goal is to make music I would recommend just holding yourself accountable by uploading music online at a rapid rate.. Studying in the process will keep you motivated and inspired that is really the only purpose studying has to me.. Most people study and never put things out because they spend too much time learning and much less time producing..

You want to set yourself up as a producer and as someone who generates output. You obviously need to learn the basics of your software etc. but I would recommend studying whoever your inspired by and remake their songs/beats etc. as a way to become a better producer. Avoid the philosphical / motivational style videos and focus more on skils based (how to mix drums/how to arrange beats) as a better method.