Digging Wudge-U-Cop-While-Digging-Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
Thanks man.
He's just beautiful (not often I use beautiful when using the masculine - but he really is!) Totally doesn't like to sleep at night... Seems to have a thing for Dub (& the new Raekwon Album)

Are you thinking like an illMusik 'dropbox'?

I sample direct into Maschine. So only 'put in' what I plan to use... Not sure how we'd go about it time wise but definitely worth a conversation!

TBH most of the stuff I pick up is American (or 'Latin') in origin and I'm the worst digger ever!
I'm dyslexic and had a misspent youth, so my short-term memory is trashed; I never remember labels, producers names or session musicians names (all pretty good clues for seasoned diggers)

Generally these are my 5 rules (anything else is guesswork or I ask the shop owner to play a bit) for digging:
1) If it has an ageing black guy smoking a cigarette on the cover... There's fire on there.
2) More than one massive Afro... Fire on there.
3) Anybody wearing a hat... Fire on there.
4) A dog or (domestic) cat - it might be worth a punt.
5) A lion (or any other large 'wild' beast) - it's garbage leave it alone... Don't go there...

Other than that I just look out for instruments that I like or have never used...
Bazuki chops really well; so if I see a Greek record I buy it. Etc etc.

Ha! I'm not fucking normal!!

OriginalNoGuru

Charity shop (a thrift store?) dig on my lunchbreak today.
image.jpg

OriginalNoGuru

Most of the charity shops here have regionally rotating stock, so if records don't shift after a few week in one shop they get moved to the charities shop in the next town...
There was a charity shop I went to and they had some real shite in the crate... I asked the volunteer nicely if they had any more records in the back room... She asked "why's a young man like you want LPs sonny" ... I told her I steal bits of old songs to make new ones and she led me down to the basement where there was masses of shite!
But amongst it I managed to dig out around 25 records which she sold me for 25p (pence) each!!
That was a good day! Got me hooked on Bobby Hackett too!

OriginalNoGuru

Moral of the story... Always flirt with older ladies! X

OriginalNoGuru

Yeah... No food today... Here's todays picture of my office floor...
image.jpg

OriginalNoGuru

Er... I *might have* bought more records...
image.jpg

Reactions: Pug

OriginalNoGuru

image.jpg
Big-Ups to Oxfam... £15 quid in total.

Reactions: Pug

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
After digging with Fade and buying a soundtrack at a shop, I got off the bus going home early, and found a garage sale where one crate was all hiphop records... once in a life time deal, don't suspect this will happen in a long time. 31 12"s, and 14 LP's, some very tough to find (Mood, Jugganots original press), and most are really good. 40$ for everything.

IMG_5219.jpg
IMG_5220.jpg
IMG_5223.jpg

OriginalNoGuru

Great find! Any acapellas in there?

Real hard finding acapellas here (especially UK rap)

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
There's a couple for sure, I have to give them a more thorough lookover in the coming days. You seem to be finding some dope shit as well, I'm always happy to see that!

OriginalNoGuru

There's only one real record shop in my city. Luckily they're pretty switched on about what they buy in. Does mean that prices aren't the lowest though...
With the charity shops it's a matter of perseverance. Some days I'll spend my lunchbreak digging and walk away with nothing. Some days I haven't got enough cash for it all!
I've only been sampling off vinyl for a bit (used YouTube before) but I reckon I've been pretty lucky so far.
That said. I made a conscious decision to as much as possible only sample from vinyl... So my head's definitely in the game.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Yes, digging is all about perseverance. You have to acknowledge that you'll have lulls where you find nothing, and then the odd time you find some dope shit. I'll never stop digging because the thrill is what it's all about... not knowing what you'll find... that shit does not translate well on youtube

OriginalNoGuru

You ever tried 'Rhythm Roulette' (check out Mass Appeal on YouTube)?

Randomly pick 3 records - go home and make a beat with them!

I've been doing a similar thing at home called 'Drop the Needle'

Set stopwatch for 25minutes close your eyes - put hand in your crate - pick a record at random - put record on turntable - set up to record - and without looking drop the needle on the record - only aloud to record 8-bars (if it starts mid bar count from next bar mark - and it will start mid bar!!) - start chopping & make beat before time runs out!
Reduce time limit for extra challenge!

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Money is in short supply, so no rhythm roulette for me... and Fade can tell you... that shit would not fly here. The thrift shops here... have some awful awful awful stuff. Shitty French music from the 60s and 70s... and it might sound cool to people from out of town... but its not, its just shit. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online