Y'all heard about tracklib?

it seems like it's this sampling middle man that makes the legal work easy asf. from what I heard, they seem to be buying a shitton of licenses to distribute and profit from. Honestly, it seems revolutionary and exciting but at the same time, scary, because any dumb motherfucker can now "produce" and some professional who sacrificed their youth to achieve some skill is gonna be ignored, mostly.

What do y'all think?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
it seems like it's this sampling middle man that makes the legal work easy asf. from what I heard, they seem to be buying a shitton of licenses to distribute and profit from. Honestly, it seems revolutionary and exciting but at the same time, scary, because any dumb motherfucker can now "produce" and some professional who sacrificed their youth to achieve some skill is gonna be ignored, mostly.

What do y'all think?
LOL where have you been? They've been around for a while now.

It's a great idea and I thought about it, but for me I like to find some rare samples. I prefer not to use something everyone else is sampling, but then again, everyone has access to Youtube as well. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard.

It's a great idea and I thought about it, but for me I like to find some rare samples. I prefer not to use something everyone else is sampling, but then again, everyone has access to Youtube as well. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard.
Yeah no ur a cheap bastard.

I mean I'm okay with making samples accessible since well, let's face it, everyone is almost desperately using everything to make beats and we're too lazy to go thru the legal stuff. But idk, it just seems eerie making sampling so easy. U won't necessarily need songwriting or composing skills anymore to make music happen, just borrow from the Unsung masters of the past and Frankenstein it up...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah no ur a cheap bastard.
Call me Fade Steinberg.
I mean I'm okay with making samples accessible since well, let's face it, everyone is almost desperately using everything to make beats and we're too lazy to go thru the legal stuff. But idk, it just seems eerie making sampling so easy. U won't necessarily need songwriting or composing skills anymore to make music happen, just borrow from the Unsung masters of the past and Frankenstein it up...
Yeah I guess that's part of it for me. It's sort of like making it easy. I like having to look for stuff to sample, not just a sample that's already labeled as a sample.

Call me Fade Steinberg.

Yeah I guess that's part of it for me. It's sort of like making it easy. I like having to look for stuff to sample, not just a sample that's already labeled as a sample.
Yeah and later on, imagine every song ever or at least the majority being labelled as a sample...

We all finna be unemployed lmao

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
The thing with them is... you have to pay a subscription to join and browse... and then pay again when you find a sample you want. (Least thats how i heard it works)

If it was pay subscription and just go sample sure. Or free signup and browse, then pay for samples or something.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Always @Armani remember just because someone sacrificed their youth, which is a short window anyway and after that the longest period of life is post-adolescence, to learn producing (or anything) doesn't merit any kind of automatic respect.

Always @Armani remember just because someone sacrificed their youth, which is a short window anyway and after that the longest period of life is post-adolescence, to learn producing (or anything) doesn't merit any kind of automatic respect.
it's not about respect, it's about busting your ass for acquiring skills in a craft that's gonna go extinct. you dedicate your life to it and it ends up being worthless and completely different when you actually get there.

not ENTIRELY worthless and all but u get the point.

The thing with them is... you have to pay a subscription to join and browse... and then pay again when you find a sample you want. (Least thats how i heard it works)

If it was pay subscription and just go sample sure. Or free signup and browse, then pay for samples or something.
upfront payments suck.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
it's not about respect, it's about busting your ass for acquiring skills in a craft that's gonna go extinct. you dedicate your life to it and it ends up being worthless and completely different when you actually get there.

not ENTIRELY worthless and all but u get the point.
Welcome to the world of traditional handcraft. Like blacksmith or making ropes n shit. xd

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Its like with programming, adapt, become time efficient or be stuck in the past saying "yeah but ima write my own shit from scratch" and be a worthless coder to the industry.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's just the issue I have with something like Tracklib is that even though it's a great idea, when it comes to Hip Hop it kind of defeats the purpose.

It's always been that you go and find your own samples from whatever sources. Back when everyone was going to record stores, they would keep their records hidden from other producers that were in the store. No one wanted to give away their secrets. It was a rule. Now you can sample from anywhere online, so when you look at something like YouTube, that's a major source of material right there. And yet, some videos have tons of comments with people saying "OMG I'M GONNA SAMPLE THIS SO MUCH". So that means all these beat makers are hitting up the same video to sample. It doesn't make sense.

I used to subscribe to a few channels on there that posted tons of obscure stuff and it was a big source for beat makers but I don't follow those channels anymore because I don't want to sample what everyone else is sampling.

So the same with Tracklib - it's a great source but not for me. Yes, there's the big plus that you don't have to worry about copyright, so it really boils down to what you're trying to accomplish. If you're looking to put your music out there and sell it, or work with some rappers, then by all means use Tracklib. But still remember to use those samples in a different way than everyone else. Don't just loop it. Do something with the sample.

And if you're just doing beats for fun, there's no point in using Tracklib.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I'm @Fade never using Tracklib or any other service.