Yay, beat jacking!

yeah, this isn't really that big of a deal to me.

i just thought it would never happen to me. funny.

hell Id sample you, but wouldnt release anything I sample from the illfam without their knowledge. I wouldnt release anything sampled without the necessary consent.
i know one thing for sure, if I could play like you Id be sampling myself.
You got some ill skillz. At least you have the vid of you making the beat, that counts for something.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah man just stay on your grind, i wouldn't pay this dude too much mind. send him an email and see what's up but you cant sue someone over soundclick.

on the issue of copyrights, a little bit of knowledge i found very helpful from a more experienced producer: technically you do have a copyright when you create the beat, but it doesn't mean shit. thats because if you have no proof that would stand up in court that shows the exact date you created it, you can't prove the other person who stole it didn't make it first. so the best thing to do if you can't get around to copyrighting every beat is simple: get a big email account on gmail or yahoo and email yourself your beats as you do them, and save those emails. worst comes to worst and some major producer jacks something off your myspace, you now have proof of date of creation, and with that you can do something.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I will tell you from the old school perspective, I would have filled out the SR form, that covers the sound recording of the composition, and then if I really, really cared enough about a track like that, which you should because its extra dope for an RnB song, in the right persons hands they could make a platinum song out of it alone, then I would have printed out the sheet music from a software program and also registered the Sheet music....that would be the correct way to copyright sure fire, and that way you if you did want to sue.....A lawyer would not hesitate to touch your case...all of the above examples are sloppy and not so reliable ways to guard your work, I am speaking as an ASCAP member and one who has gone to many music industry conferences and heard how you do it and the difference between how you think it should be done, as always, if you care about your music please go the extra mile and protect yourself with REAL COPYRIGHTS....if you really want to seek statutory damages upon infringements you need to register properly

This explains why the "about their biz" producer will always register important works

In the United States, statutory damages are set out in Title 17, Section 504 of the U.S. Code. The basic level of damages is between $750 and $30,000 per work, at the discretion of the court.

Plaintiffs who can show willful infringement may be entitled to damages up to $150,000 per work. Defendants who can show that they were "not aware and had no reason to believe" they were infringing copyright may have the damages reduced to $200 per work.

Under 17 USC 412, statutory damages are only available in the United States for works that were registered with the Copyright Office prior to infringement, or within three months of publication.

That's what they call a "poor mans copyright" and it's never been legit as far as pursuing a lawsuit! Waste of time! That or physically mailing to yourself is bogus.

As we dont have ASCAP here in the UK the physical mailing method is the only way to register a date of copyright, it does stand up in court as long as the envelopes havent been tampered with.
So I wouldnt call it bogus, I dont think the emailing it to yourself method will stand up in court, due to the ability to change your computers time and date, that could well be bogus, at least until its tested in court.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's what they call a "poor mans copyright" and it's never been legit as far as pursuing a lawsuit! Waste of time! That or physically mailing to yourself is bogus.

if you have a time stamped attachment of the song that you can download in court along with session files, i have a hard time believing that it would be thrown out. unlike physical mail, you can't tamper with a 6 month old gmail message.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I've been jacked too....

I made a beat back in 2004... Put it up on soundlick.... Got jacked soon afterwards...

You tell me if I got jacked....

My version: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=124315&songID=1456712

The Jacked version: http://www.boomkat.com/jukebox/jbFramed02.cfm?tracks=119142:88629&type=music

if you have a time stamped attachment of the song that you can download in court along with session files, i have a hard time believing that it would be thrown out. unlike physical mail, you can't tamper with a 6 month old gmail message.

There's always something that they could come up with to discredit your email...

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I've been jacked too....

I made a beat back in 2004... Put it up on soundlick.... Got jacked soon afterwards...

You tell me if I got jacked....

My version: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=124315&songID=1456712

The Jacked version: http://www.boomkat.com/jukebox/jbFramed02.cfm?tracks=119142:88629&type=music

yeah def sounds like it was jacked! How could you look at yourself as a producer when you steal other peoples shit.....I dont get it.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Lol...It's sad..

I almost bought that album to see who got production credit on that track.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
i made the video. that's my beat. i composed that piano melody. in like 10 seconds actually. www.myspace.com/sockproductions you can hear the original beat there..it's called "typical rnb"

i mean, i don't really care that this happened, because they'll never make it big, or whatever, but it's just so weird to see it happen to me!

i never thought.

Yer shits hot tho man and theres plenty of busters out there that dont have the pride to grind on their own and do their own thing so they bite people like you. I hate to say it but that shit is inevitable these days, technology is definitely both good and bad in that respect....

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Yea man, i've been down a similar path, and i got angry at first too, but yea i think its best to be flattered. I know you don't think its a big deal, i'm just reinforcing the fact that this situation is an aquatic amoeba in a vast sea.

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
I won't post beats on the net, only completed songs. The closest I come to posting a beat is uploading them to my private dumpsite to share shit with close friends.

SoChi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
LOL, I thought this was gonna be about Charles Hamilton.

As to this, not funny. Expose that beat beat jacker

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
You should def air him out tho, i would.
May sound trivial but the fool stole your music.
At least put his ass on blast and let the world know the dudes a fake.
Maybe then people wont fuck with him since hes just another biter.