Yo what should I do??

• beat this! voting starts in...

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Illmuzik, what up.

So this is my situation. I have this friend who I used to record with when we were in high school. Even though I produce, i've always been a lot better than him lyrically (not tryna hype myself at all, but you've gotta know this to get the picture). So he wasn't the greatest MC, even though we were on the same wavelength with our views of what was whack and what is dope. He went off to the Navy an came back yesterday, havent seen him since we graduated last year.

So now he comes back an tells me he wants to invest in me. I told him i was cool without that but he insists that on buying me stuff with the money he made in the military. The arrangement would be that i'd pay him back naturally, but the catch is he wants to record a full album and release it.

We were chillin out yesterday I was showin him the newest beats i'd made an he was like YO I WANT THAT BEAT an i'm kinda like goin along with his hypeness but not really sharing in it. We even recorded on one of my beats just for the hell of it for old times sakes, an his style is still the same as it was. It's really face paced, difficult to make out words and doesnt sound natural. He's also stubborn on his "style" an doesnt listen when other rap friends suggest somethin.

The stuff he was lookin at getting me was a XV-5080 sound module with a few cards, a back up hard drive, more ram for my computer, upgrade the motherboard, high quality cables and a power strip. I mean I told him all of the stuff I was wanting to get my self an he said he wants to get it all. He actually said that I don't have to pay him back, he just wants to put out an album. But i'd rather pay him back an not do the album!! lol i feel like a bastard cuz he's my dog but in all honesty the album wouldn't be a success in anyones eyes but his.

What would you do illmuzik?

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
damn, the equipment sounds nice! but how much would you have sold those beats to make that album. Thats at least 15 tracks given to him for the equipment, and if he is wack i wouldnt want to fuck with him, but since its your boy and you get some free equipment i would prob do it, fuck it!!!!! how many people do you have everyday come up and say they will buy you any equipment you want. and all you have to do is put on one album, that equipment will be good for a long long time, do it

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
thats a hard decision to make

if you do decide to take him up on that offer

make sure that your agreement is in writing and signed, cuz if he gets mad for any reason (like his album flopping) its litigation waiting to happen

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man, just reading this kinda bums me out, i would hate that situation, your friends whack but he's your dog and u don't want to tell him, and plus, if ur like me, u just don't feel right puttin on a fake act just so u can get some gear. it sucks you know, i'd offer some advice but you know im a youngin and plus i'm not in the situation so whatever good luck. I'd just feel akward someone wantin to buy me shit you know when you don't want to do anything for them, ionno, its hard to explain, but i feel your dilemna man.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
i would deffinately do it. Cuz if you calculate it correctly, you can give him just enough beats (or quality of beats) to equal the revenue of the equipment, so all in all, it would be like he paid you for the beats and u bought the equipment urself. So lets say he watns a 21 track album. give him 8-10 good beats, and the rest stuff that u would consider personal throwaways and it would equal in cost.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
and i need condoms. the magnum kinds.

i like to make funny shaped balloons.

but its sounds like a good deal to me

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
lmfao... way 2 go

, but yeah it sucks i'm contemplating it. I dont know what it is though, I get real attached to my beats. I dont kno how i'd handle it.. the feeling of letting go my gems (cuz he literally LOVED all of the ones that i LOVE) an then all of the hours spent recording it with him. It usually takes at least around 3-4 hours to complete a song cuz he writes it and records it on spot.

I would love to get some new equipment though. I told him upfront if he gives me anything or whatever, we need to put it in writing just incase. He agreed but didnt seem too worried so thats good. I'm pretty much leanin towards doin it so everythings chill between us and I can get some equipment out of it.

Grafik i'll see what I can do lol. ugh. same to you Sanova.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
From what it seems, if you go thru with it, everones happy (especially him) you may not like letting go of some of ur beats, but you will like the new equip. Just imagine it, gettin rack modules and such. I'm still saving up to get Some monitors and a simple audiophile 2496 soundcard. (so far i've saved up a total of 53 cents..no joke)

but good luck, let us know what happens

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
he's wack but got the money.
he's willing to pay your equipment, you will use it until he learn how to make beats for his own self.
You guys can always team up to work his lyrics... but if he hasnt any flow its another bad story....
An album for what?? a mixtape?? Well, You can always make beats for your boys... if beatmaking is for you an Hobby, why not. Start with 5 beats to see where its going.. lol
Upgrading your equipment is nice, but if he really wack, be honnest. If he is a friend, he will still help you out financially. lol hopefully.

Ps: Do a larger catalogue, make other beats, dont give your babies to him, come on.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
yeah I dont want to give him the best ones. It kinda sucked though, I had no idea he wanted to do an all out album so we were just loungin an I was playin all of my latest shit. Then he told me of how he really really (you cant imagine how ecstatic he was) of doin a full album, but also buyin me gear.

I think i'll just have it so he can use the beats but I still own the rights an can do what I want with them (like letting him lease it for free). I actually think he wont think twice about that either.. think that'll be my best bet.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
sounds like a plan. if you have monitors. and he buys you new ones. i'll buy the old ones off u for 53 cent

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
LMFAO *dies* that shit got me rollin

but i willl buy ur old monitors provided u have some and are gettin new ones

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
haha, that could be a possibility.

If my friend is serious about just buying me stuff I might as well get new ones. I currently have a pair of MA-10D monitors by Edirol. They werent too expensive but have worked really well as my first pair of monitors. One of them has bob marley sticker on it an you have no choice but to respect its space. An also, this isnt set in stone at all lol. If i DO get monitors than we could work it out though.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Whoa... I dont know man... is he really your boy or it's just one of your friends... Cuz this could lead to trouble. You could loose a friend on this one.

Suggestion: What I would do is make one or 2 tracks with him and give him that (on some OK beats, but not gems) and play it to other people while he's here to listen. Do that a couple of times, not just once... If he is really not that good, people will tell him, just put the track randomly, not saying it's him and let the people say what they gotta... if you have some hiphop fans in your friends, comments should come in no time.

If the feedback is not good, maybe that will let him know what's up... if people say it's just ok or that it's great... well, maybe your standards are too high and you should go with the project...

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
he's not like best friend status, but we go back all through high school and recording has always been our thing. He's just never came around when everyone else was improving over the years lol. I think i'm gonna go through with it an just start recording whatever for him an see what happens. Free gear will be free gear in the end.

I wouldnt wanna embarrass him though, if it was another artist that I didnt know, yeah that'd be fine but i mean we chill outside of just recording music so i'm not tryna fuck that up if I dont have to.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
^^^^wow! He's that bad? LOL

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
his flow is pretty terrible. His content is tight though, for the most part. Like it's intellectually deep, but he has a very very "new to rap" flow that isn't solid and crams a ton of words into a precise pattern and the pattern never changes.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here's my take:

It depends on what you're in it for. I mean we're all in it for money and regional/national buzz. But which one is more important to you right now? I am willing to bet that you have more than enough equipment to make heat.

If its money/compensation, or if you REEAAALLLLLYYYY need new equipment, the go for it. But remember, you will be subtracting from your buzz by working with a booty artist.

If its buzz, then don't do it. Take those beats and donate them to somebody that's hot and got a buzz in your area. Or spit on them yourself and promote your shit. No money, but definitely more buzz, and better for you in the long run.

Either way, be totally up front with him. let him know what you're thinking. Hurt his feelings if you have to.If that's your homie, you owe it to him. And it will prevent this whole thing from ending a good friendship.

I got a situation with my nephew, who is flame (check "I Know" in the second link in my sig) but doesn't do any sort of networking or promotions. (dog, its so bad that my homie stretch went up to music day at a local radio station 93.9 and bumped two of my nephew's cuts. Iran was feeling my nephew, but he never even went and built that connection with dude - wtf?) so therefore everything I do with him is another hot beat going to waste. I had to come out and straight up tell him that I can't give him no more beats. But you know what, after he got over it, he respected me for being honest.

I wouldn't do it if I was you.

members online