Yo what should I do??

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
That's a tough situation. I think you really need to decide how bad you need the new gear and if you're willing to risk either your friendship or your reputation to get it. mp3 brings up a really good point, if the dude is that bad, do you really want your name attached to any tracks he may be putting out there. If he's as bad as you're saying, let's say some potentially good contact hears the track and your boy is so lame they don't even take the time to give your beat close attention, next thing you know you're associated with him and people are saying so-and-so and 5th Sequence are wack. Your name is tarnished. At this point even though he's feeling your latest tracks, you could always say that your saving those beats for your own solo project, but if he still wants tracks for the gear he's buying, you'll work on new ones with him. Or you could go the lease route you mentioned but be sure he's clear on it. Or just let him buy the gear and teach him to make beats for himself that way your name stays clean and you both get what you want and nobody gets hurt. If he's really as bad as you say, just be straight with him and tell him you're not feeling his style. He may be upset, but if he's a true friend he'll hopefully appreciate it and get over it, if he gets heated and can't handle it, then fuck him and at least he'll be out of your hair. Or even better, do a track with him, give us the heads up before posting it in the showcase and let the Ill fam shoot him straight. We know your tracks are fire already so your reputation here won't be tarnished, but we'll rip his vocals to shreds if he is really that bad, and you won't look like the bad guy! Good luck bro!

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
J-ReZyN said:
Or even better, do a track with him, give us the heads up before posting it in the showcase and let the Ill fam shoot him straight. We know your tracks are fire already so your reputation here won't be tarnished, but we'll rip his vocals to shreds if he is really that bad, and you won't look like the bad guy! Good luck bro!

Yeah that'll work until your man signs up on illmuzik for himself... lol

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
yeah actually, he wont be promoting it. I just know how he is, he thinks the masses will somehow know about the track and flock to him so.... yeah.

We actually had the first recording session today... i'm just kinda feelin it out. I gotta admit it sounded much better than I expected. somethin about when he kicks his rhymes by himself (he always is like "yo you gotta hear this" an then just spits it) theres no natural part about his rhyme scheme most of the time. Somehow my microphone picked up most of the muffled stuff in his rhymes so the shit came through the clearest i've ever heard from him.

Even though I dont NEED new gear to make stuff, i WANT gear lol. I dunno, i'm a studio "addict" (refer to my illmuzik title). I am gonna post the track we recorded next week probably, I gotta mix it better.

We recorded a full song today an it took about 5 hours. Thing is, the song would have been nothing but I really ended up doing a lot of "producing" aside from making the actual beat. Had to coach him on a lot of things and what worked and what didnt, mad suggestions that he changed an then things sounded better plus other things. I wrote the chorus and had the 2nd verse. Also came up with the whole song concept. I dunno, I put a lot into it an it turned out decent compared to EVERYTHING i've ever recorded with him.

He's already went looking at back up hard drives and ram for me. I think what I may do is ask for like $500 for records or somethin instead of the XV-5080. or maybe both...

buhauahaha

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
We recorded a full song today an it took about 5 hours. Thing is, the song would have been nothing but I really ended up doing a lot of "producing" aside from making the actual beat. Had to coach him on a lot of things and what worked and what didnt, mad suggestions that he changed an then things sounded better plus other things. I wrote the chorus and had the 2nd verse. Also came up with the whole song concept. I dunno, I put a lot into it an it turned out decent compared to EVERYTHING i've ever recorded with him.

That's the difference between a producer and a beat maker. Its def. good to get that kind of practice under your belt.

I feel you on the "make music and they will come" aspect. I went thru the same shit with my nephew and a few other cats, and wasted a lot of time tryna motivate them to go get it.