Beat This! - January 26-27, 2022

• beat this! voting starts in...
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from January 26-27th! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on January 26th at 12pm ET/EST, and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme).
Voting will be for one day, on January 27th, where the results will be posted the same day.

Check out the Beat This! ranks: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/?cat=bthis

*Note: check out this site to find out the correct time difference for your timezone:

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: Dirty
Time Limit: 2 minutes
*Vocal Track Allowed?: YES
**Vocal Snippets Allowed?: YES

Theme Info
  • You must make a beat that is DIRTY!
  • Dirty, filthy, grungy, rough.
  • It must sound like something made for the sewer people!

===========
* VOCAL TRACK ALLOWED? This means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example).
** VOCAL SNIPPETS ALLOWED? This means you can have vocal snippets in your beat (very short vocal parts, for example). This is where you can also have an intro with talking (like from a movie).
===========

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Voting Criteria

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favoritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer2022012627.jpg

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Not sure I'll be entering this one at this rate.

Love the theme, and I've made some really dope tracks/beats whilst attempting it (like, really dope). But despite slamming everything through multiple stages of distortion, it all still ends up sounding too 'clean' and well mixed.

Anything else I've tried making just, isn't fully doing what i want in terms of 'dirty' and just keeps becoming increasingly difficult at finding a fitting acapella.

Bleurgh

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
New form of humble flex
Haha nah honestly, it was quite an eye opening revelation. Made me kinda realise just how hard you can actually smash shit and it still sound good/clean or in fact better. Might actually become part of my go-to mixing approach for certain things as a result.

But despite slamming everything through multiple stages of distortion, it all still ends up sounding too 'clean' and well mixed.

My snare literally looks like a square.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well "dirty" doesn't have to SOUND dirty but a dirty-style. Think of dark underground type beats I suppose. For something like Trap I would say do something with lower notes and not the typical note range. For sampling, well it's just a matter of sampling some old dusty crusty stuff.

Maybe "dirty" could also mean your beat is not mixed well and has clicks and pops from not chopping stuff the right way, etc.

Not just the use of effects to make it sound dirty, if you know what I mean.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Well "dirty" doesn't have to SOUND dirty but a dirty-style. Think of dark underground type beats I suppose. For something like Trap I would say do something with lower notes and not the typical note range. For sampling, well it's just a matter of sampling some old dusty crusty stuff.

Maybe "dirty" could also mean your beat is not mixed well and has clicks and pops from not chopping stuff the right way, etc.

Not just the use of effects to make it sound dirty, if you know what I mean.

Yeah i feel you. I think my beat/track sounded like a gritty kind of beat.

Maybe i'll go look back at it see what I think. 'cause it's actually pretty hot, you just start second guessing yourself about how 'dirty' it is. Actually kinda torn whether to use it or not. or save it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah i feel you. I think my beat/track sounded like a gritty kind of beat.

Maybe i'll go look back at it see what I think. 'cause it's actually pretty hot, you just start second guessing yourself about how 'dirty' it is. Actually kinda torn whether to use it or not. or save it.
What if you keep what you have and just save it at 8-bit? That would definitely mess it up! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.