anybody else get seasonal depression?

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
like what? . im serious i wanna know .. well let me rephrase my quote .. there arent any "grown" people 21 + outside chillin and havin fun outside during the winter time.. yeah when i was young i used to throw snowballs and go sledding and shit but then this funny thing happened where i grew up

Sorry, I didn't realise you were so mature. What's wrong with just going for a walk or a ride? I love going for walks in the snow. Maybe cause we don't get any back in Australia and it's still a novelty for me. Aint nothing wrong with a grown man having a snow fight.

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Sorry, I didn't realise you were so mature. What's wrong with just going for a walk or a ride? I love going for walks in the snow. Maybe cause we don't get any back in Australia and it's still a novelty for me. Aint nothing wrong with a grown man having a snow fight.

A walk or a ride in the dark after 4pm on the snowy/icey roads & freeze ??? lol
Alot of ya sound like loners up here that like being alone, going for solo walks,
extended inside periods of time with no people interaction LOL

Originally Posted by Dysphuncktional View Post
I suffer it a bit too. Its brain chemistry...

You have something called serotonin in your body. This is basically the stuff that keeps you on your toes during the day, helps you manage your anger, influences a bit of your mood etc. etc. People who suffer from phobias often have significantly lower serotonin levels, which is among other reasons why they dont respond to certain situations the same way other people do.

One of the reasons you get groggy if you sit in a dark area/room for a long time, is because serotonin production/activity decreases, and melatonin production/activity increases. This is a sort of biological clock, a roughly 24 hour period called the circadian rythm that biological organisms have.

So to sum up, since our days are so much shorter now, meaning less daylight (if you even get alot of it with all the hazy grayness), you are producing less serotonin. So you're not as alert, more easily irritated/annoyed, not particularly feeling 'good' (doesnt have to mean bad either), etc. etc.

Yeah, i've read about that before ... Some people go to doctors and have special lights flashed in their
eyes to boost their levels ... I agree with it, I think their is truth to that.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Hit your local GNC up and cop some "Melatonin 3". I just remembered it's what I took all last winter after being put up on it by a friend. I started it back up today. It helps you sleep better as well.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hahaha this thread is fuckin hilarious! We go from depression to questioning a man's manliness. Everyone put an end to this and go outside and throw a snowball at a little kid's head. You'll feel better.

Anyway, the weather only gets depressing if you let it. You have to find the GOOD things about the weather and make use of them.

snowfight.jpg

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
A walk or a ride in the dark after 4pm on the snowy/icey roads & freeze ??? lol
Alot of ya sound like loners up here that like being alone, going for solo walks,
extended inside periods of time with no people interaction LOL

Who's going for walks alone and not interacting? I'm talking about the exact opposite. It seems like the ones complaining are doing that but I got friends and a family I spend my time with. Inside and outside.

Who's freezing? Like I said put a jacket on.

Hahaha this thread is fuckin hilarious! We go from depression to questioning a man's manliness. Everyone put an end to this and go outside and throw a snowball at a little kid's head. You'll feel better.

Anyway, the weather only gets depressing if you let it. You have to find the GOOD things about the weather and make use of them.

View attachment 2483

That's exactly what I'm saying; co sign. There may be some truth to what some of you are saying regarding serotonin levels but you can change that by just changing your outlook. It's your mind, you're in control.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo ash as someone else said what you have sounds like Seasonal Affective Disorder and i recognize what you're talking about cause I have it also, it blows! 2 things you can do that help a lot..

1) get a natural sunlight lamp for your room/desk..they have these at staples and just about everywhere these days, stuff like this is what i'm talking about...

http://www.lampsusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=21824

that kind of lamp simulates sunlight so it gets your mood back in order

2) exercise. exercise especially running/boxing and that kind of stuff stimulates dopamine in your brain and puts you in a better mood, so i'd try that too, even if its just 20 minutes a day or something

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
I hate this time of year, its shitty outside, i am always tired and lazy and thinking about shit that sucks. I am ready for the spring lol.

and the fucked up part about it i live in bama and it was like 70 the other day lol

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hi-Lo; said:
yo ash as someone else said what you have sounds like Seasonal Affective Disorder and i recognize what you're talking about cause I have it also, it blows! 2 things you can do that help a lot..

1) get a natural sunlight lamp for your room/desk..they have these at staples and just about everywhere these days, stuff like this is what i'm talking about...

2) exercise. exercise especially running/boxing and that kind of stuff stimulates dopamine in your brain and puts you in a better mood, so i'd try that too, even if its just 20 minutes a day or something

Now will those work against vampires as well?

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207

thnx! a real solution! ... imma check those lights out .... sincock i aint mean to come of like i dont have fun .. i have alot of fun and get out alot .. the problem is im indoors all day and when i get out of work its already dark again.. simple as that ...

ill o.g.
There may be some truth to what some of you are saying regarding serotonin levels but you can change that by just changing your outlook. It's your mind, you're in control.

Everyone is different. Just because its easy for you to deal with doesnt mean its as easy for everyone. Just because someone suffers from this more than another doesnt mean they're some kind of social outcast. And just because you dont have a lot of probs with it doesnt mean you are some kind of awesome social juggernaut.

I do agree though about changing your outlook, but that goes for pretty much any situation in daily life you may or may not have issues with. Plus it will only get you so far, there will always be factors not within your control.

Oh yeah, and another posssibly helpful tip:
Eat bananas. These are natural serotonin boosters. If you eat about 2 or 3 a day it will help you feel a bit better. There are other foods as well, but bananas are cheap, good and healthy.

Basically any food with tryptophan will do, like turkey, chocolate etc. etc.

Melatonin supplements are nice for sleeping yeah. Just remember that serotonin converts to melatonin, so if youre doing things to boost serotonin you will have more melatonin as well...

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Ash, I'm sure you do; I wasn't having a go at you. I know when I get depressed I don't feel like doing things that I normally enjoy.

I get home from work when it's dark too. I guess it doesn't bother me too much but I kinda like my job at the moment so that helps. Working in jobs I hated was depressing in both Summer and Winter time.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i'm pretty much depressed all the time, nothing new for me. : /

fugg it though
i'm getting drunk for christmas
anyone happen to have a shotgun i can borrow?

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Who's freezing? Like I said put a jacket on.
Maybe those of you that live in almost snow like eweather all year round are use to it ...
I for one can have a heavy duty coat and and still be cold and definetly don't like walking
thru snow ... Plus clubs/parties/events are less because of the snow which equals less people
going out ... People wanna stay in the house because it's cold ... It put a whole damper on
the fun lifestyle that i'm use too ... It's like the winter is one big break from december till
march over here ...

It's like when it rains on a day your trying to go to the beach or something ... Screws up
your whole plans ... Winter is like that example but for 3 months where it snows mainly alot.

members online