Beat This! - April 20-21, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
Dope beat. Really nice mix. Dope vocals. ill for using Vinnie, I got gassed when I heard that.

Despite that, me personally wrote the beat off fair quick, which when listening analytically now, surprises me a bit. But I usually start off instinctual with my judging.

I think what caused the issue, is the drums being a little too busy during the verse --- sounded perfect in the break leading in to the vocals. I think with the raps, it sounded a little too busy, possibly cause of the way it felt like a constant fill.

Something about the track had a hurried/rush feel, in terms of the pace of it. I think it's just this small detail that maybe took away from the track. 'cause can't fault anything else, only praise.

I dunno if the vocals sounded a bit boxy/covered, even tho levels good, I felt like the snare(for example) took more priority in the mix, like the vocals seemed to fit around it, as if they took the hit to let the snare sit where it does. I could hear them clear, but it just felt a bit like they were 2nd place to the snare, like sonically the balance wasn't right. This is all real subtle things I'm talking.

Solid solid effort. You're really not far off getting a W I'm telling you.
Thanks man. As for the vocals. Did the second verse sounds better? Because those were mine. It was hard taking the Vinnie acapella and getting it to sit the same as my recorded verse so I made some decisions to compromise between the two.

I hear you with the busyness and the rushed feel. I felt it myself. I had to speed up Vin’s verse quite a bit. My verse of course I was able to write to so prolly sounded better in that regard.

I’ll take these remarks into consideration when I get this prepped for YouTube.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Thanks man. As for the vocals. Did the second verse sounds better? Because those were mine. It was hard taking the Vinnie acapella and getting it to sit the same as my recorded verse so I made some decisions to compromise between the two.

I hear you with the busyness and the rushed feel. I felt it myself. I had to speed up Vin’s verse quite a bit. My verse of course I was able to write to so prolly sounded better in that regard.

I’ll take these remarks into consideration when I get this prepped for YouTube.

Ahh that could be it then! If you had to speed up the vocals. Like everything sounds in time and whatnot, but like I said I feel like I'm chasing something or rushed haha.

Yeah I think the second verse doesn't have so much that rushed feel.

Again tho, the quality of it all was really good imho.

I look forward to seeing your future stuff. I'm certain you'll start getting those Ws. The kinda more you enter these battles, the more you kinda learn about yourself and your beats, and music/people in general.

And don't necessarily translate non-wins as = bad music; I'd more look out for people saying "yo StoneLock I loved your beat" or "that stonelock beat is fucking heattt!" if you get those responses, scale it up 1 person in 20 voters loving your beat, that's 5 in 100, 25 in 500, etc, and there's likely more people that like your track, just those numbers are the ones who absolutely love it.

I've become quite aware of 'what would win' a battle, and things you can do to increase those odds. But there is still plenty to of variable and lots to learn. My beat for example, I felt it eaaasily could have not placed. But it had one element really going for --- had a 'polished' radio release quality to it. (based off people's feedback).

One of my best tracks on here, didn't even place. Sometimes I post a beat I know is really fucking dope, but also know it won't win due to some of the factors. Nothing to do with how good the beat is, more to do with what gets voted for. But maybe that one time, it's just that 1 redeeming quality in your track, that majority decided to be feeling. I'm still quite surprised to have won with this track --- I was expecting to not even place or maybe sneak in at 4th. But I also knew if it did well, why it would do well.

Keep at it, G, I'm rootin for ya.

Last edited:

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
Thanks dude. I feel better about it all today. Was pretty down after not even an unsolicited mention again and again. I put the albums on hold so I could come back here and focus on polishing my production game. Y’all are great help and the competition is needed.

Battle Points: 4
Nothing necessarily wrong with the beat. I'd say the mix could definitely be improved, it lacks a bit of brilliance and definition.
For me, something about the claps don't sit right with me, I don't know if maybe they're too 'clean', and it's the fact they do that double kind of hit, it highlights a bit of the clean-ness of them for me that feels maybe they didn't fit as well. It's only a small detail, but just felt it.

Decent effort imho.
Thanks ...I felt like they were too clean as well....like way too polished! I got caught up in my mix and da muddier sounding clap kinda disappeared in da song when played back (imo), but then again, I'm da only person who heard da rough copy before any mixing was done! Appreciate all da feedback I can receive!

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
Have anyone ever thought about if people intentionally vote for not the best beat because they know that if they vote for the best one that just means that theirs have a smaller chance to win? And then they vote for a lesser beat on purpose to make it so they themselves have a bigger chance of winning.
I honestly have had a suspicion for a very long time that this was an issue when those competing also are the ones who vote. Because tbh I have also felt the urge to to it myself a couple of times, just didn't because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I won and then had done it like that.
Like that other guy posting other people's beats to be the top dog but what's it worth in the long run? You just become a laughing stock when people find out.
I'm not trying to be salty or anything. Just have had this on my mind for a long time and I guess now is when I bring it into the light just to hear of anyone else have had this thought as well? Or maybe I'm just getting paranoid dunno

(By the way this is not in any way a referral to this particular battle. I think all the beats that placed and the winner did so because they deserved it. Just to make that crystal clear. I'm speaking about in general)

Mefisto Beats

SickFlow Records
Battle Points: 103
Have anyone ever thought about if people intentionally vote for not the best beat because they know that if they vote for the best one that just means that theirs have a smaller chance to win?
Theres probably someone who does that. Its part of a human nature to do everything in their power to achieve some goal. I think it would be even more evident if there was cash prizes for winner or some material type of reward.
Personally, dont need to undermine anyone since victory aint my ultimate goal. Yeah its nice, but I prefer getting feedback and constructive criticism that will improve my skills in the long run, and just having fun with various themes.
Think most of members shares similar opinion tho theres always few rotten apples on the tree.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Have anyone ever thought about if people intentionally vote for not the best beat because they know that if they vote for the best one that just means that theirs have a smaller chance to win? And then they vote for a lesser beat on purpose to make it so they themselves have a bigger chance of winning.
I honestly have had a suspicion for a very long time that this was an issue when those competing also are the ones who vote. Because tbh I have also felt the urge to to it myself a couple of times, just didn't because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I won and then had done it like that.
Like that other guy posting other people's beats to be the top dog but what's it worth in the long run? You just become a laughing stock when people find out.
I'm not trying to be salty or anything. Just have had this on my mind for a long time and I guess now is when I bring it into the light just to hear of anyone else have had this thought as well? Or maybe I'm just getting paranoid dunno

(By the way this is not in any way a referral to this particular battle. I think all the beats that placed and the winner did so because they deserved it. Just to make that crystal clear. I'm speaking about in general)
I've had these same ponderings before too, especially when some suspect beats have placed.

It can be a weird things voting... if I can't decide between 2 beats, sometimes I'll pick the one I think others are less likely to vote for, but solely for the purpose of hoping the beat may get the attention it deserves.

This battle, I voted for the beat that placed 2nd, just behind me. (in 1st :cool:;)), so I voted for my direct competitor.

But yeah, voting is an odd thing... even if someone isn't competing, maybe they vote against things they have a taste preference/mentality against.
And even with people recognising other's styles... maybe some people vote for them, and some people may vote against them.

Hopefully in some round about way it all balances out.

As for this battle, everyone came pretty tuff.

Sometimes absolutely tuff beats don't place, and whack ones do... but maybe everyone who would have voted for the dope beat, ended up voting some other dope beat, so it ends with no votes, though would win 1v1 against ones tht placed.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Congrats on the win @Iron Keys , got my vote.
Congrats @Iron Keys . Ofc I voted fo ya, was a clear winner to me. Complete track with nicely polished vocals and good beat. A dope song....
Ugg. Congrats @Iron Keys . @GuttaTennekey got my vote. That was live.
Congrats to the winner, well deserved.
too bad i was late on this one, i had an rnb vibe like @Iron Keys that i finished but didnt publish. Well done bro

Thanks brethren, appreciate you all.

Congrats @Iron Keys Got my vote but for once I had no idea it was you, I thought you did the eminem one lol. I wasnt going to vote for yours, until I heard the rapper. I was like "this is pop music" until I heard the rapper, but the quality just shone through. Very polished radio ready song.

Ppreciate you, man. Yeah, I made the beat and selected the vocal 6 months ago, can't believe I've been waiting that long to finish it off. Def feel my upgraded mixing skills and plugins helped give it that polished radio ready vibe that I may not have before.

The beat itself had that good musical quality alreayd, and the vocal just happened to naturally fit on top of it so well, so the combination was real nice.

@Iron Keys - I am ashamed to say that I listened to the first 10 secs of the song and thought 'I'm not feeling RnB in a rap battle' and then fucked it off. I was pressed for time and wasn't giving me the energy. But listening today that is a seriously nice beat. Yeah still very R&B, but great. Really sounds like when Disclosure do R&B. Great arrangement and mixing.

Haha, bro I'm the same to be honest. I'm fairly quick to fuck some beats off, 'cause I can usually tell what I'm gonna be feeling or not. I knew the Selena Gomez (LOL) vocal was going to be a massive gamble, but hoped the rap pulled it back, and luckily, it did that. I was also just confident that it was a good overall record. I was a little uncertain about the mix on vote day, but feedback tells me my concerns maybe were not warranted.

Love.

I have wondered if others do vote like that but there is plenty of talent on here with great beats so at the very most they can only effect the results by one vote. Pretty shit if they do vote their perceived worst beat though

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah but the thing is, it doesn't make sense to vote for the lesser beat because there's lots of times where the outcome is based on just a few votes.

I have noticed in the past where some lesser beats get votes, but usually it's from someone that's new here or new to beatmaking, so maybe they just don't know what's really good and what to vote for. But I've never seen a bunch of lesser beats get votes, it's usually only a few.

For those competing, they seem to vote fairly.

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
Theres probably someone who does that. Its part of a human nature to do everything in their power to achieve some goal. I think it would be even more evident if there was cash prizes for winner or some material type of reward.
Personally, dont need to undermine anyone since victory aint my ultimate goal. Yeah its nice, but I prefer getting feedback and constructive criticism that will improve my skills in the long run, and just having fun with various themes.
Think most of members shares similar opinion tho theres always few rotten apples on the tree.

I've had these same ponderings before too, especially when some suspect beats have placed.

It can be a weird things voting... if I can't decide between 2 beats, sometimes I'll pick the one I think others are less likely to vote for, but solely for the purpose of hoping the beat may get the attention it deserves.

This battle, I voted for the beat that placed 2nd, just behind me. (in 1st :cool:;)), so I voted for my direct competitor.

But yeah, voting is an odd thing... even if someone isn't competing, maybe they vote against things they have a taste preference/mentality against.
And even with people recognising other's styles... maybe some people vote for them, and some people may vote against them.

Hopefully in some round about way it all balances out.

As for this battle, everyone came pretty tuff.

Sometimes absolutely tuff beats don't place, and whack ones do... but maybe everyone who would have voted for the dope beat, ended up voting some other dope beat, so it ends with no votes, though would win 1v1 against ones tht placed.

I have wondered if others do vote like that but there is plenty of talent on here with great beats so at the very most they can only effect the results by one vote. Pretty shit if they do vote their perceived worst beat though

Yeah it's inevitable I guess. But as you say @Mefisto Beats the feedback is much more worth than the actual win. Other than bragging rights of course.
And I agree with you @Iron Keys everyone came tuff this time and sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.
@InsideOutBeats that's also what I was thinking, but then again like @Iron Keys said there has been a few times where some shady beats has placed and that could be an indicator that a few people had the same thought and voted for not their favourite but maybe not the worst, just not the one they knew/felt like was the best.
But yeah I Also hope people have enough integrity to vote honestly. Otherwise these battles will lose their value and also the community somewhat will take a dive because then there won't be the same amount of trust and respect and that has value as well imo.

I would say that above anything illmuzik is a place where you in many ways can grow as an artist, and like you said @Mefisto Beats just have fun with the themes and battles.

Honestly there's sometimes if it wasn't for these battles I wouldn't have made anything at all that week

Thanks brethren, appreciate you all.

Ppreciate you, man. Yeah, I made the beat and selected the vocal 6 months ago, can't believe I've been waiting that long to finish it off. Def feel my upgraded mixing skills and plugins helped give it that polished radio ready vibe that I may not have before.

The beat itself had that good musical quality alreayd, and the vocal just happened to naturally fit on top of it so well, so the combination was real nice.

Haha, bro I'm the same to be honest. I'm fairly quick to fuck some beats off, 'cause I can usually tell what I'm gonna be feeling or not. I knew the Selena Gomez (LOL) vocal was going to be a massive gamble, but hoped the rap pulled it back, and luckily, it did that. I was also just confident that it was a good overall record. I was a little uncertain about the mix on vote day, but feedback tells me my concerns maybe were not warranted.

Love.
Yeah I'm quite quick to judge on the night but next day it's almost like post nut clarity and everything sounds different and I can enjoy them more.
Your mix was good because you have priority to the vocals, bass and chords and didn't let the drums dominate too much. Gave the track a very spacious airy feel. I almost never do that as being a drummer by trade I always smash them transients.
Btw, what are these fancy radio plugins you using?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Your mix was good because you have priority to the vocals, bass and chords and didn't let the drums dominate too much. Gave the track a very spacious airy feel. I almost never do that as being a drummer by trade I always smash them transients.
Btw, what are these fancy radio plugins you using?

I used to have a similar issue mixing vocals too quiet just by a tad.
Usually my drums dominate too. In terms of mix. I love big drums.

Tbh, I actually didn't use many plugins on this mix compared to usual (lately speaking). And even on my master I left out maybe half of the plugins I usually use.

Went into tape, then a bus compressor for 'glue', then EQ just for some tone, then compressor for just nudging down the peaks and tone boxing, then tube saturation very subtle, then limiter. Majority of things in that list are hardware emulations. I'm also not 'set' yet, on this order. Tempted to change where I do the 'glue' compressing.
A mix of Black Rooster, Plugin Alliance, and Oxford plugins.

Tbh, I actually didn't use many plugins on this mix compared to usual (lately speaking). And even on my master I left out maybe half of the plugins I usually use.

Went into tape, then a bus compressor for 'glue', then EQ just for some tone, then compressor for just nudging down the peaks and tone boxing, then tube saturation very subtle, then limiter. Majority of things in that list are hardware emulations. I'm also not 'set' yet, on this order. Tempted to change where I do the 'glue' compressing.
Your chain makes sense to me, I compress then EQ usually. Oxford stuff looks good would like to get someday. Lol for my master I just had limiter on this time was feeling worn out from mixing and couldn't be arsed to go further. Usually I have Saturn all over my stuff.

I usually EQ before compression, just to shave off the extreme low end before going into compression. But that said, my bus compressor has a HPF at 60hz. Sometimes Ill EQ for tone after compression and saturation as well, or a dynamic eq on the master bus just to tame kicks or snares sometimes to lower the crest factor. I use soft clipping saturation before going into the final limiter. Ive found using the soft clipping saturation that I use the tape saturation a lot less. I tend to overcook my bass too, I do it just to see how far I can push it. I always go too far though. Im seeking help from a specialist about my bass problem. The first step is admitting Im addicted to bass.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I usually EQ before compression, just to shave off the extreme low end before going into compression. But that said, my bus compressor has a HPF at 60hz

Yeah mine have a 'sidechain' function built in, that operates as a highpass. I often use this until the balance between the bounce of the needle from kick to snare looks a little nicer

Sometimes Ill EQ for tone after compression

Yeah this is me.

I use soft clipping saturation before going into the final limiter

Michael Buble Check GIF by bubly

Ive found using the soft clipping saturation that I use the tape saturation a lot less.

I mean I'm having a hard time judging the needle on my tape meters... it goes into red, so I'm assuming it's doing something. If I increase the saturation the needle is no longer in red, but is clearly saturating. So I kinda just leave as is and hope it's contributing something, and hopefully shaving a little.

I tend to overcook my bass too, I do it just to see how far I can push it. I always go too far though. Im seeking help from a specialist about my bass problem. The first step is admitting Im addicted to bass.

Bass is the one truth. Bass will set you free. You cannot Pray The Bass Away.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: addicted @2GooD Productions to bass peep Sample Science “Deep Jupiter” plugin. I’m currently using it on some beats I’m working on.

I usually EQ before compression, just to shave off the extreme low end before going into compression. But that said, my bus compressor has a HPF at 60hz. Sometimes Ill EQ for tone after compression and saturation as well, or a dynamic eq on the master bus just to tame kicks or snares sometimes to lower the crest factor. I use soft clipping saturation before going into the final limiter. Ive found using the soft clipping saturation that I use the tape saturation a lot less. I tend to overcook my bass too, I do it just to see how far I can push it. I always go too far though. Im seeking help from a specialist about my bass problem. The first step is admitting Im addicted to bass.
I always like your comments 2Good as you really think about what you are doing.
I EQ all individual channels as I compose so I've already removed the low end. You are right either way the bass needs to be attended to other wise the compressor will be disproportionately affected by it. I like to EQ after compression for artistic tweaks. Soft clipper, is that the one in FL or 3rd party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online