Beat This! - April 20-21, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
@Vossi Beats right on. That guitar sound was a few plugins. I’ve been trying to work on getting realistic electric guitar performances.

The second verse on the track is me. I’m not sure anyone has picked up on that.

Naw. I’ve been practicing my scratching with a cheap DJ controller but haven’t gotten too good yet so I’ve been using audio files and manipulate them in the daw with slow down effects reverses and stutters. It helps if you know the technicalities of how a scratch is made to process the audio on a realistic manner

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
@Vossi Beats right on. That guitar sound was a few plugins. I’ve been trying to work on getting realistic electric guitar performances.

The second verse on the track is me. I’m not sure anyone has picked up on that.

Naw. I’ve been practicing my scratching with a cheap DJ controller but haven’t gotten too good yet so I’ve been using audio files and manipulate them in the daw with slow down effects reverses and stutters. It helps if you know the technicalities of how a scratch is made to process the audio on a realistic manner
what?? I had no Idea that was you went right over my head, even though I listened more than a few times yesterday. Just had Another listen. Shit was tight bro, I think so tight that no one even noticed it was original lyrics I think. That shit deserved to place imo. Using an accapella is aight and not always easy, but writing as well as recording your own lyrics is just another level.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
If @StoneLockProd you like that cinematic and/or orchestral vibe look into Heavyocity Foundations Piano and Staccato Strings both FREE. Just got the latter for myself this week and the former over a month ago.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Yes @Vossi Beats I do and yes y'all will and it won't take forever.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
what?? I had no Idea that was you went right over my head, even though I listened more than a few times yesterday. Just had Another listen. Shit was tight bro, I think so tight that no one even noticed it was original lyrics I think. That shit deserved to place imo. Using an accapella is aight and not always easy, but writing as well as recording your own lyrics is just another level.
Lol. Thanks man. I wonder if people just heard it and their mind thought it was still Vinnie. Yeah. My personal way of being able to collaborate with my all time greats.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
If @StoneLockProd you like that cinematic and/or orchestral vibe look into Heavyocity Foundations Piano and Staccato Strings both FREE. Just got the latter for myself this week and the former over a month ago.
I got EastWest composer cloud and a few other libraries but I like free!! Thanks. I’ll take a look

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Yes @Vossi Beats I do and yes y'all will and it won't take forever.
Alrighty then. I'll look forward to it and also remind myself not to ask about it again
i'm leaving back it up GIF by trainline

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I'm @StoneLockProd addicted to free re: plugins but I go for what's needed for me.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
@StoneLockProd Doing scratches inside the daw is not an easy task either. I've used gross beat to do it before but it just isn't the same as actually scratching a record. Gives it a whole other authentic feel
I’ve tried a few pieces of software too like serato, virtualdj, mixxx, etc. just route it to the daw with loop back or something. But yeah. The authenticity is what is important. I’d rather scratch records but even professionals are scratching with controllers now. Some will even still use digital files but use vinyl control records for the classic handfeel. I’m sure the audio sounds different not coming off a needle though.

That’s why it’s important to actually understand the art of Turntablism. That and fake it till you make it. Lol.

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
I’ve tried a few pieces of software too like serato, virtualdj, mixxx, etc. just route it to the daw with loop back or something. But yeah. The authenticity is what is important. I’d rather scratch records but even professionals are scratching with controllers now. Some will even still use digital files but use vinyl control records for the classic handfeel. I’m sure the audio sounds different not coming off a needle though.

That’s why it’s important to actually understand the art of Turntablism. That and fake it till you make it. Lol.
Serrato is great. And there's that other one I somehow can't remember the name of right now even though I know it
you know the one that's like Serrato but different. Better in some areas but others Serrato do best. It's like akai vs native instruments in terms of controllers.

But yeah I've seen others who also did a pretty nice job faking it till they make it with scratching through plugins. But you got to admit that nothing beats the real deal. Just takes hella long time to learn because you need the muscle memory and that takes time. Like learning to play the guitar. First couple of months suck and it just sounds awful :LOL:

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Yep. Traktor….. I couldn’t think of it earlier either. Haha.

Yeah. If anything what I have done in the past is just use as many takes as I need and just keep the decent sounding parts.

@Iron Keys - I am ashamed to say that I listened to the first 10 secs of the song and thought 'I'm not feeling RnB in a rap battle' and then fucked it off. I was pressed for time and wasn't giving me the energy. But listening today that is a seriously nice beat. Yeah still very R&B, but great. Really sounds like when Disclosure do R&B. Great arrangement and mixing.
@3mpireV - got my vote. Loved the retro PE style production and yeah like UK vocals. Not sure who it was but cool.
All the top 5 were fire! I'm stoked I got in on a track that was me just playing around with FL, Serrato.

3mpireV

Battle Points: 10
@Iron Keys - I am ashamed to say that I listened to the first 10 secs of the song and thought 'I'm not feeling RnB in a rap battle' and then fucked it off. I was pressed for time and wasn't giving me the energy. But listening today that is a seriously nice beat. Yeah still very R&B, but great. Really sounds like when Disclosure do R&B. Great arrangement and mixing.
@3mpireV - got my vote. Loved the retro PE style production and yeah like UK vocals. Not sure who it was but cool.
All the top 5 were fire! I'm stoked I got in on a track that was me just playing around with FL, Serrato.

Thank you, appreciate it. The vocal was Four Owls.
You deserved to be in the top5.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Any advice on da beat I put in for da contest?!?

Nothing necessarily wrong with the beat. I'd say the mix could definitely be improved, it lacks a bit of brilliance and definition.
For me, something about the claps don't sit right with me, I don't know if maybe they're too 'clean', and it's the fact they do that double kind of hit, it highlights a bit of the clean-ness of them for me that feels maybe they didn't fit as well. It's only a small detail, but just felt it.

Decent effort imho.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I’d love some feedback. @Iron Keys

Dope beat. Really nice mix. Dope vocals. ill for using Vinnie, I got gassed when I heard that.

Despite that, me personally wrote the beat off fair quick, which when listening analytically now, surprises me a bit. But I usually start off instinctual with my judging.

I think what caused the issue, is the drums being a little too busy during the verse --- sounded perfect in the break leading in to the vocals. I think with the raps, it sounded a little too busy, possibly cause of the way it felt like a constant fill.

Something about the track had a hurried/rush feel, in terms of the pace of it. I think it's just this small detail that maybe took away from the track. 'cause can't fault anything else, only praise.

I dunno if the vocals sounded a bit boxy/covered, even tho levels good, I felt like the snare(for example) took more priority in the mix, like the vocals seemed to fit around it, as if they took the hit to let the snare sit where it does. I could hear them clear, but it just felt a bit like they were 2nd place to the snare, like sonically the balance wasn't right. This is all real subtle things I'm talking.

Solid solid effort. You're really not far off getting a W I'm telling you.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Feedback me homie

Voted for you.

Think the intro was a litttle lacklustre.

Beat was just a cool nice vibe, reminded me of some 2000s stuff I liked. Had real nice bounce... was trap but had its own vibe. Liked the synths and sounds. That's one of the deciding factors for me, trap but didn't sound 'type beaty'. Think the mix was cool but sounded scratchy in places. HAd a weird relationship with the vocals... i kinda didn't like them, and it almost put me off, but then i also really liked how they bounced with the beat. a bit of scratchiness to them too.

But yeah, it's cool stuff -- got my vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online