Beat This! - April 6-7, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the win @Mefisto Beats nice job! Was tough to vote with the diverse variety.
@Iron Keys thanks man, yours nearly had my vote and yeah similar vibe ‘why’d you hit me? He gave him a slap’ pretty relevant lately :ROFLMAO:
@Ozmosis for my vote! Fire beat loved it ‘where the party at!’

Well done to all who entered I had fun with this one and HOLY FUCK PEOPLE, I actually placed!!

Loving this music / beat journey and will say again, I appreciate all the help and knowledge I’ve received here from all you ILLIENS :love:

Last edited:

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
Definitely had a little trouble nailing down the theme for this one just wondering what any of y’all thought not necessarily on the overall quality of the beat but more so how close it was on theme
I think the theme criteria was fine. It didn’t scream 80s. But it could def have been made in that era. It was just a little boring with the guitar and bass playing call and response the whole time. Prolly had more potential with those sounds. The drums were good. But yeah. Not sure there was a lot of work put into it. Prolly could a chopped that guitar up and made something more funky.

Hit me back with that same eval ? :)

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Definitely had a little trouble nailing down the theme for this one just wondering what any of y’all thought not necessarily on the overall quality of the beat but more so how close it was on theme
I dunno if it strikes me as leaning a lil more 90s.
I guess for me, it just didn't slap me in the face with the 80s. I can also feel how it could be. But yeah.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Don't think it could have got anymore 80s unless I time-travelled and got its official release date time-stamped!

I literally took mine 80s

I used 80s drum machine sounds (mostly LinnDrum)
80s synthesizer OB-X for sounds
funk/disco-esque bassline
sampled Slick Rick
Mixed through a ssl 4000e
Used a G bus comp in the mix.

Helps really to know your history. Knowing where your music comes/came from helps give you a grounding in the core of your music. Helps you think in terms of its foundations, what makes it what it is. Before you're making something 4 decades 5 subgenres deep with no connect with the roots.

That's not just talk, I know someone who did just that (explored roots of themselves/their music) and became a top selling artist.

Explore your roots.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: @Iron Keys exploring roots of themselves/their music who was/is the person?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Re: @Iron Keys exploring roots of themselves/their music who was/is the person?

Yes.

...actually all these things. Is important. In my post however I was mainly referring to the music side of things. i.e. knowing hip-hop drums largely came from looping/sampling funk records for example. So you can now how the core fundamentals gave hip-hop its 'sound', and use that to inform certain music making choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online