Beat This! - April 6-7, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Some very interesting interpretations to say the least. The beat I really want to vote for is definitely 80's, but it's not hip hop/rap LOL

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
Well there are a few that to me are tolerable. Lol. If I could vote for myself I honestly would. I feel like there is one that is on point for being 80s but I don’t care for. Great execution on the theme though. But we’re talking 80s. An entire decade of music. I think there has to be leniency in interpretation. Idk. I don’t ever know.

Well there are a few that to me are tolerable. Lol. If I could vote for myself I honestly would. I feel like there is one that is on point for being 80s but I don’t care for. Great execution on the theme though. But we’re talking 80s. An entire decade of music. I think there has to be leniency in interpretation. Idk. I don’t ever know.
Was a diverse era back then, still experimental. None of the beats are rap beats until someone raps on them, up until then they are hip hop, jazz chops, soul and funk breaks. I think everybody did a pretty good job getting the vibe of the 80's. One beat nearly got my vote, but it was more early 90's than 80's.
I voted for the beat that reminded me of being at the youth club playing table tennis.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I think the beats are pretty good. I don't think anyone nailed it 100%, but that's expected. The point too of themes like this is to see (hear) everyone's interpretation of the 80s. It's also a good way for everyone to maybe discover a new way to do things with their beats.

I think the beats are pretty good. I don't think anyone nailed it 100%, but that's expected. The point too of themes like this is to see (hear) everyone's interpretation of the 80s. It's also a good way for everyone to maybe discover a new way to do things with their beats.
Ive really been enjoying messing around with samples again, doing things oldskool, lol.
Really liking some of the stuff Ive been making lately.
I might be limited on what I can do with them commercially, but I just enjoy the process of sampling. Its therapeutic.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ive really been enjoying messing around with samples again, doing things oldskool, lol.
Really liking some of the stuff Ive been making lately.
I might be limited on what I can do with them commercially, but I just enjoy the process of sampling. Its therapeutic.
YEAH BUT DID YOU SETUP AN LLC FIRST?!?!

Sorry, I had to.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
But we’re talking 80s. An entire decade of music. I think there has to be leniency in interpretation.

Theme is 80s rap (or 80s hip-hop)
My advice to everyone: don't think "melody".
Don't forget it's 80s, meaning that could be Electro, or Run DMC, NWA, Special Ed, PE, Jungle Brothers, etc

and Fade gave a lot of examples to help people out.
Despite the diversity, I think it still has a fairly narrow margin of what can be '80s hip-hop'.
Whether it's any of those examples, you're gonna 'hear it', there's stuff here that sounds 20 years off the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online