Beat This! - April 6-7, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
Theme is 80s rap (or 80s hip-hop)

and Fade gave a lot of examples to help people out.
Despite the diversity, I think it still has a fairly narrow margin of what can be '80s hip-hop'.
Whether it's any of those examples, you're gonna 'hear it', there's stuff here that sounds 20 years off the mark.
Meh. It’s still a decade of music from all swaths of different artists. I’m just saying that people might be looking at just what they listened to at a particular time and consider it more “80s” but it’s still highly subjective…. But the whole thing is subjective. Hence the leniency I mentioned.

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
Lol all these beats could have been made in the 80s and any decent rapper would be able to spit bars on every one of them as well. Okay maybe the one of them was not so much but still. Think you guys need to find another weed supplier. What ever your current is selling it's making you not think straight :LOL::unsure:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
HIP.HOP.

Not 80s pop, rock, etc

there's a lot of stuff here that doesn't even sounds 80s --- that has nothing to do with the artists! You can't be making like a 50Cent or Gunna style beat and saying 'oh it sounds 80s cause there were loads of different artists' :LOL:
Meh. It’s still a decade of music from all swaths of different artists. I’m just saying that people might be looking at just what they listened to at a particular time and consider it more “80s” but it’s still highly subjective…. But the whole thing is subjective. Hence the leniency I mentioned.

StoneLockProd

New to the site
HIP.HOP.

Not 80s pop, rock, etc

there's a lot of stuff here that doesn't even sounds 80s --- that has nothing to do with the artists! You can't be making like a 50Cent or Gunna style beat and saying 'oh it sounds 80s cause there were loads of different artists' :LOL:
Well it’s a good thing that’s not what I said. :) I Wasn’t talking about different music artists….. different artists within hip hop. There were many different styles. Just like there are today. Think about the 90s. If you made something like a Tribe beat… it would be just as valid as if you made something like Dre or if you made something that Vanilla freaking Ice would jump on. 10 years back then was a long time for different styles to develop and a lot of styles were used whether they were the most prominent or what you heard most on the radio. Idk what you’re getting at.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Well it’s a good thing that’s not what I said. :) I Wasn’t talking about different music artists….. different artists within hip hop. There were many different styles. Just like there are today. Think about the 90s. If you made something like a Tribe beat… it would be just as valid as if you made something like Dre or if you made something that Vanilla freaking Ice would jump on. 10 years back then was a long time for different styles to develop and a lot of styles were used whether they were the most prominent or what you heard most on the radio. Idk what you’re getting at.
Yeah I got a bit lost on what you're saying. still am a little bit.

The thing is tho, whether something is this artist, or that artist, the 80s sound is very particular, regardless of artist. And certain styles, particularly 2000s style hip-hop, didn't emerge til well, the 2000s.

I personally think there are a few that sound 80s, some in different styles some in similar. And also many have poor mixes - poor regardless of era.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I'm a consistent top 3 competitor.

200.gif

StoneLockProd

New to the site
I voted for @InsideOutBeats :fire:

Was the most similar to mine. Hit the vibe of one of my favourite records of the time. Almost didn't want to vote for it 'cause I knew it'd be my competitor.

Nice job, brother!!!

I also liked @Ozmosis beat.
Had yours on my top 3. “I always feel like…..”
Def hit the theme but wasn’t enjoying it as much. I think a lot of good entries for hitting the theme but it was hard to find shit I liked. All entries qualifiying I just went with what I enjoyed most. Rather than what was the most locked into the theme. Otherwise you’d have been top 2. Suppose people take the criteria when voting differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online