Beat This! - August 25-26, 2021

• beat this! voting starts in...
Status
Not open for further replies.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
We need a "originality" theme forthe next Beat This. I really wonder what people would come up with.

Especially those criticising the lack of originality in music.

Happy Denzel Washington GIF by Bounce

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
We need a "originality" theme forthe next Beat This. I really wonder what people would come up with.

If that's aimed at me that's a bit off when there are literally multiple people every week just doing "remakes" or straight up just robbing another hiphop record.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
If that's aimed at me that's a bit off when there are literally multiple people every week just doing "remakes" or straight up just robbing another hiphop record.
I aint trying to beef here. Was not aimed at anyone specific, just in general.

Almost after every battle theres this topic. Im just curious, since i kinda find it hard to invent a new wheel.
And when there are people in here, having some knowledge i dont have, i really would like to learn.

This whole originality stuff
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

@Andante got my vote, was buzzing off it this afternoon before I went to work. Like alot of the entries though but thought the rhythm and switch ups were great, and the atmosphere added with the sounds whoa, the scream... and what sounded like predator. Excellent work, astonished it didn't place. Well done @crog85 . Just chilling at my girlfriends flat. I scribbled some thoughts on about half the entries, I'll feed back in the morning when I get back to mine.

Reactions: TWU

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I aint trying to beef here. Was not aimed at anyone specific, just in general.

Almost after every battle theres this topic. Im just curious, since i kinda find it hard to invent a new wheel.
And when there are people in here, having some knowledge i dont have, i really would like to learn.

This whole originality stuff
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

I mean, if people stopped copying it'd be a start.

Whether they copying a same trap beat, copying their own beat, or just copying other records.

Particularly the last point, I really don't get it. Might as well start deezing beats by this point.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned

Whether they copying a same trap beat, copying their own beat, or just copying other records.

Particularly the last point, I really don't get it. Might as well start deezing beats by this point.

We can agree that we re not all top level producers here. I know some of you guys work in a studio but the majority isnt.

Maybe people just get inspired too hard by stuff they like. Therefore it just sounds like that of another artist. Still, i get you and i feel you.

You re absolutely right with the lack of originality when it comes to professional artists, thats the shit that sounds the same, like it was produced by using an algorithm.

But here, a place not only to show off you re the next Dr. Dre but also to learn. IMO it would help more to show people to do better than just pointing out what pile of (copied) shit they produced and leave it as that. Thats what i think atleast. It would boost the skill level of the producers here and maybe also people will start to move away from musical crutches.

Inb4 ILLMuzik Discord Academy Sessions with Iron Keys. First lesson, how to stop copying shit. :ROFLMAO:

Fury Beats

Fury Beats

I used Van Halen for the intro and then switched it up with a mix of the ingredients of P.E. Channel Zero with direct samples of Slayer "Angel of Death" then also a pinch of Steve Miller Band "fly like an eagle". I wanted to humanize it with some vocal samples and throw in some scratching for a changeup but some might not have liked those extra elements. Oh, and James Brown Break (Funky Drummer). I honestly lifted quite a bit but spent a lot of time trying to weave it all together. I mean unless you play your own instruments and can make Live Hip Hop, I think the genre is heavily sampled anyway. The key is not being obvious in your sampling if you can help it.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
We can agree that we re not all top level producers here. I know some of you guys work in a studio but the majority isnt.

Maybe people just get inspired too hard by stuff they like. Therefore it just sounds like that of another artist. Still, i get you and i feel you.

You re absolutely right with the lack of originality when it comes to professional artists, thats the shit that sounds the same, like it was produced by using an algorithm.

But here, a place not only to show off you re the next Dr. Dre but also to learn. IMO it would help more to show people to do better than just pointing out what pile of (copied) shit they produced and leave it as that. Thats what i think atleast. It would boost the skill level of the producers here and maybe also people will start to move away from musical crutches.

Inb4 ILLMuzik Discord Academy Sessions with Iron Keys. First lesson, how to stop copying shit. :ROFLMAO:
I used Van Halen for the intro and then switched it up with a mix of the ingredients of P.E. Channel Zero with direct samples of Slayer "Angel of Death" then also a pinch of Steve Miller Band "fly like an eagle". I wanted to humanize it with some vocal samples and throw in some scratching for a changeup but some might not have liked those extra elements. Oh, and James Brown Break (Funky Drummer). I honestly lifted quite a bit but spent a lot of time trying to weave it all together. I mean unless you play your own instruments and can make Live Hip Hop, I think the genre is heavily sampled anyway. The key is not being obvious in your sampling if you can help it.

I'm talking about the people LITERALLY COPYING songs.

I don't mean sampling some off genre record, or 'copying' a style'. People are literally taking the key hooks from famous commercial hip-hop records.

By that point Fade may as well make the battle 'post your favourite hiphop record and vote which is best'

Fury Beats

Fury Beats

Happy Denzel Washington GIF by Bounce
At this point, I can make a beat out of anything. Even if it was a melody with 3 short beeps in it. I don't think it is a lack of ability but a lack of ideas or creativity at times. We sometimes reach for inspiration in some of the obvious places.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned

I don't mean sampling some off genre record, or 'copying' a style'. People are literally taking the key hooks from famous commercial hip-hop records.

By that point Fade may as well make the battle 'post your favourite hiphop record and vote which is best'
Thats what i mean by musical crutches. You get told to use samples to "spice up" your beat and then you just end up not taking little bits and combining them in a new way, you just take whole parts. I think and could be very wrong here, its not on purpose that people do this.

We need dem Iron Lessunz.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats

I couldn't sleep at night lifting most of a song and trying to call it my own. Integrity is important and that is with anything.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
At this point, I can make a beat out of anything. Even if it was a melody with 3 short beeps in it. I don't think it is a lack of ability but a lack of ideas or creativity at times. We sometimes reach for inspiration in some of the obvious places.
Thats what im talking about. Sometimes you just get this feeling that every fkin thing you come up with has been done already. Can be frustrating.

I ve seen a dude recording his breath and making drums out of it, which bounced.

Plus, and i really dont understand why, people seem to put themselves under massive pressure to win here.

All those factors combined may lead to someone using/copying others key elements of a track as a "skeleton" and add some own bits to it.

Thats why my shit often sounds...yeah...shit. Im trying to be too original sometimes. Just to avoid any conflicts. :ROFLMAO:

I was payin tributes to a an artist I respected. like I legit had that made a few days after he passed away, I thought people would enjoy hearing it here too. why u pointin a gun at me mf I'm illmuziks original anti-sample pioneer :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.