Beat This! - December 29-30, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from December 29-30th! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on December 29th at 12pm ET/EST, and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme).
Voting will be for one day, on December 30th, where the results will be posted the same day.

Check out the Beat This! ranks: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/?cat=bthis

*Note: check out this site to find out the correct time difference for your timezone:

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: None
Time Limit: 2 minutes
*Vocal Track Allowed?: NO
**Vocal Snippets Allowed?: NO

===========
* VOCAL TRACK ALLOWED? This means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example). This is where you can also have an intro with talking (like from a movie).
** VOCAL SNIPPETS ALLOWED? This means you can have vocal snippets in your beat (very short vocal parts, for example).
===========

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Voting Criteria

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favoritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer2021122930.jpg

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This has probably been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is it okay if I use a movie quote or something like that for that intro?
Wasn't sure if that is included in with the "no vocals aloud" rule.
Vocals allowed means you can have a vocal track on it, like a full song.
Hook allowed means you can have vocal snippets. I would say a movie intro would fall into the hook category.

So no vocals, no hook means just a straight up beat.

Putting the finishing touches on my beat, if I dont win this I want my entry money back.
@Fade I need to ask if sampling a choir is okay? There are no specific words, just choir sounds. I dont want to give away my beat but at the same time wont bother entering it if it breaks the rules, will have to save it for another battle.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Putting the finishing touches on my beat, if I dont win this I want my entry money back.
@Fade I need to ask if sampling a choir is okay? There are no specific words, just choir sounds. I dont want to give away my beat but at the same time wont bother entering it if it breaks the rules, will have to save it for another battle.
I think that was asked recently. Choir to me is fine since it's used more like sounds.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I think 85% of us will know which beat is yours without clues anyway.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
And what about using a sample containing a vocal (that is chopped to gibberish)?

Example:

I think this is where you need to get really careful.

Cause i think the thing became that vocal sounds offer too much advantage.

So it then becomes tricky, because if someone is doing traditional boombap with vocal chops , it offers an advantage. Though you wouldn't typically call it a vocal.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
The thing that makes ot awkward is because you feel like it shouldn't be an issue... but people can start to abuse/stretch the rule and it can get peoples backs up...

So then what would happen is everyone would just start making beats with vocals out of necessity.

So it then becomes tricky, because if someone is doing traditional boombap with vocal chops , it offers an advantage. Though you wouldn't typically call it a vocal.
what advantage does it give? what does it matter if somebody is creative enough to put a hook together from vocal snippets?
Being good at making beats is what gives the advantage. Bring the right beat on the right day and anybody can win. Too many people take fun seriously.
People need to stop telling other people how to make music and just let them make music.
Having a good ear for samples gives an advantage, being able to compose gives an advantage, being able to mix gives an advantage, being able to structure a beat gives an advantage, there are lots of things that give an advantage. So what?
Making a beat using chopped vocals is a skill in itself.
All the complaining about vocals is bollocks. A fuss over nothing that limits producers that like to make beats that way. Squeezing people through pigeonholes, so they fit nicely into a box. Making music is complicated enough, without making it worse.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It doesn't have to be so serious though. I mean, just make a beat without vocal snippets, talking from a movie, scratching, etc. Just like you've always done. Otherwise we could be debating all day about what is allowed and what's not.

I'm waiting for something like "Can I use the sound of a tree falling?".

It doesn't have to be so serious though. I mean, just make a beat without vocal snippets, talking from a movie, scratching, etc. Just like you've always done. Otherwise we could be debating all day about what is allowed and what's not.

I'm waiting for something like "Can I use the sound of a tree falling?".
the amount of people that listen to my beats Id have to ask, would anybody hear it fall?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
what advantage does it give?

The human voice. It's psychological. People will just naturally respond better to something with voice/vocal in it.
Similarly to how the mind will naturally find 'faces' in things, it naturally responds to voice. This also goes for certain frequencies and babies' cries.

A fuss over nothing that limits producers that like to make beats that way. Squeezing people through pigeonholes, so they fit nicely into a box. Making music is complicated enough, without making it worse.

So should we do away with 'themes'? As they're limiting.

Limits help you grow. Limits force you to get creative.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown

So in that case, the 'no vocal allowed' should be redefined. I mean, this rule is exact the same thing as saying you can't use 808's. Half of my library exists of beats with "vocals" because it's in the sample I chopped.
I think everyone knows what an "instrumental without a hook" means.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
So in that case, the 'no vocal allowed' should be redefined. I mean, this rule is exact the same thing as saying you can't use 808's. Half of my library exists of beats with "vocals" because it's in the sample I chopped.
I think everyone knows what an "instrumental without a hook" means.

I mean i myself was gonna say maybe make the rule be 'vocal chops'.

BUt, the thing is, Fade literally had only just recently redefined it to what it is.

I mean it's whatever tbh. It's just that after one situation I said I was gonna start featuring loads of vocals because, yeh.

But Whatever, I'm just trying to answer peoples' questions to save Fade from the hassle of repeating himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online