Beat This! - July 15-16, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from July 15-16th! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on July 15th at 12pm ET, and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme). Voting will be for 1 day, on July 16th, where the results will be posted the same day.

*Note: check out https://time.is/ to find out the correct time difference for your timezone.

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY SAMPLE FLIP
Time Limit: 2 minutes
Vocal Track Allowed?: YES
===========
*NOTE: From now on there's a criteria called "vocal track allowed?". It will be yes or no. If it's "yes", this means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example).
===========

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favoritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer2020071516.jpg

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
A lot of these vocal track allowed can be a bit off putting. Not easy to find acapellas in the same BPM and Key signature as your beat, not only that they then have to suit and fit your beat. Not even easy to find decent acapellas.

Seen a lot of fire beats lose out just because some halfassed beat got a tupac vocal on it or something.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
A lot of these vocal track allowed can be a bit off putting. Not easy to find acapellas in the same BPM and Key signature as your beat, not only that they then have to suit and fit your beat. Not even easy to find decent acapellas.

Seen a lot of fire beats lose out just because some halfassed beat got a tupac vocal on it or something.
Yeah acapellas are hard to find but you can also just put talking from a movie or something like that. That opens up a lot of possibilities.

They dnt really have to be, you can pitch correct and chop parts of it. I did that with a beat thats not the same key with an accapella and came out good lol

gotta agree with the tupac thing. lol

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166

Well, what I do is find the acapella first and build my beat around it. It's a different approach and as such an opportunity to learn.

I don't know if your comment about tupac refers to last Beat This competition... I must agree that the "vocals allowed" thing makes it a very important part of the creative process, chosing the right vocal (most vote-appealing). It's a crucial artistic choice but I take it as the same kind of artistic choice you have to make when you decide to go boombap or trap, or when you chose your lead sound, bass sound, whatever. It's a choice you make. And like the rest, the winner is the one who made the right choices. But I get your point, it's not strictly about beatmaking anymore when vocals are allowed. It's requires more of a producer approach... Which I think is good from time to time.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Well, what I do is find the acapella first and build my beat around it. It's a different approach and as such an opportunity to learn.

I don't know if your comment about tupac refers to last Beat This competition... I must agree that the "vocals allowed" thing makes it a very important part of the creative process, chosing the right vocal (most vote-appealing). It's a crucial artistic choice but I take it as the same kind of artistic choice you have to make when you decide to go boombap or trap, or when you chose your lead sound, bass sound, whatever. It's a choice you make. And like the rest, the winner is the one who made the right choices. But I get your point, it's not strictly about beatmaking anymore when vocals are allowed. It's requires more of a producer approach... Which I think is good from time to time.

haha I've also had this conversation with myself in my head. Like a debate discussing why somethings bad, but also why it's good.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Another good thing is, in my opinion, the voting process is much more interesting with vocals... It's more like songs. And it takes away the whole debate about whether the beat should make room for vocals or not prior to having vocals on it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Another good thing is, in my opinion, the voting process is much more interesting with vocals... It's more like songs. And it takes away the whole debate about whether the beat should make room for vocals or not prior to having vocals on it.
yeah it's an interesting one.

tbf a lot of times I often don't vote for like typical like "2pac" ones or whatever. I dunno if that's a slight bias against people trying to like buy the win, or if it's cause those tracks don't often actually gel well with the vocal.

I think Pac vocals are probably a tough choice to work... he kinda sings but doesn't his lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online