Beat This! - July 28-29, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
well yeah, the beat was better as well, vocals dont matter at this point, that ship sailed lol
season 3 GIF by Animal Kingdom on TNT
I was going to allow vocals but figured we would take a break from it after the last few. Maybe next time.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
But I have to disagree with you about @xoxo_daisy__ 's beat. @xoxo_daisy__ Your beats are always good but your mixes are not. If your mixes were much better then I'm sure you would start placing.

This is the one thing that confuses me about her beats. Musically, and ideawise, her beats are really good, but her mixes DIFFER so much. I find it hard to comprehend how someone whose music/beat quality and style is so high and consistent can have a mix quality that varies so wildly.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
This is the one thing that confuses me about her beats. Musically, and ideawise, her beats are really good, but her mixes DIFFER so much. I find it hard to comprehend how someone whose music/beat quality and style is so high and consistent can have a mix quality that varies so wildly.
And is hot!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
illm g funk beat this notes.PNG

Beat 1: @Stona Persona - cool beat, brother. real nice. love the lowlows. good west coast
Beat 2: @Frees - liked the drums, think they were on point. bass is kinda cool also
Beat 3: @Pcs shorty - a lot going on here, so much so in fact i missed one part of your song that actually sounds quite cool
Beat 4: @LiveLargeBeats - really cool beat. dunno how you get your mixes like that and so loud? Didn't feel G Funk to me so much
Beat 5: @Face Valid - quited like this. it pushed and pulled me about how I felt, had really cool intelligent vibes tho. deep
Beat 6: @nottr - really cool beat also, loved the perc. didn't really get G Funk vibes tho.
Beat 7: @Mahlhavoc really fucking cool beat, whether you wanna believe me or not. Especially after I gave some guidance on the bass! The drums, and the rhythm with that bass really hit that vibe, would be worthy of a W imo
Beat 8: @Vossi Beats - haha, the more I listened, the more I could kinda appreciate you were trying a 'thing'. I just think at first noticing the Cali Love thru me off, then hearing the Still Dre I was like 'wtf'. but kinda see what you were doing, n did that well.
Beat 9: @RUCCER_TIME - not really fitting the vibe for me, but I really love that sound you got going on
Beat 10: @YannFer - reallllllyy great beat, really love it. Dunno if it fell where I wanted it to in terms of G Funk. But incredible beat.
Beat 11: @xoxo_daisy__ - :fire: got my VOTE: at first I was hm about the whine, but the rest of the funk in the synths was top tier.
Beat 12: @Armani - cool beat, my brother. Didn't really hit me G Funk vibes, but was cool.
Beat 13: @Iron Keys - That advanced harmony, those melodies, oof, King of the Funk at least. :cool: :woot:
Beat 14: @Ozmosis - really great beat. didn't hit the G Funk vibe for me, but I thought was a really good beat.

There's my thoughts. Anyone want any further or more specific feedback, feel free to @ me

Stay ill!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
:guillotine:

So for me...

@xoxo_daisy__ @Mahlhavoc @Iron Keys beats had the most 'G Funk' feel,
also could chuck @Face Valid in there.
If I had 3 votes, I'd chuck 'em on those beats (including mine :cool: :LOL: )
that would be my 'top' places.

For the most part, other beats sounded West Coast to me, but not enough Funk.
G Funk = West Coast
but
West Coast doesn't auto = G Funk
(if you catch my drift)

I think outside of that, @YannFer and @Ozmosis had really great beats. Really good. @LiveLargeBeats was a good beat also.

There were no wack beats either, and props to all who put their effort in.

Stay ill.

@Ozmosis yeah you got my vote-this had the swing, bass, and general vibe of g funk-really nicely put together, beaut!
@Iron Keys liked it but for me you could have dropped maybe one of those synths from the line up in the opening section-there's alot of great shit it in there though its a beaut! and i thought it was nicely mastered actually-nice melodies
@Frees i liked this ALOT-the hi hat/shaker with that thick bass reminded me almost of flying lotus
@Pcs shorty really loved the vibe of this- reminded me alot of SOS band, just be good to me ;) really interesting beat but not particularly G funk
@Vossi Beats what a great ode to classics past-how'd you put it together? thought it could have been better mastered if i'm being critical but i liked it alot-the horns like, excellent.
@xoxo_daisy__ this could have been on doggystyle-niiiiiice work! really captured the flavour

Regards mine, i didn't capture the G funk-if i were to go again, i'd probably keep the bass, but swing a break to it to make it pop more-I'd experimented with a few more G funk style synths but i enjoyed the chopped rhodes sample i got too much to leave it out-also gna blame the insane work load ive been dealing with in the emergency department for distracting me from the task!

All in all, i thought the standards were higher than normal! alot of quality in there this time.
Gna get working on something new straight away! peace

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@Iron Keys liked it but for me you could have dropped maybe one of those synths from the line up in the opening section-there's alot of great shit it in there though its a beaut! and i thought it was nicely mastered actually-nice melodies

Appreciate you, brother. Yeah I was always wondering the synths in opening, but they never clashed enough for me to remove 'em and my brain could kind of hear them all ha.

actually-nice melodies
Haha them actually-nice melodies
i thought it was nicely mastered
Me looking at my master chain like I know what I'm doing when people tell me my master was nice...

girl door GIF

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
Beat 8: @Vossi Beats - haha, the more I listened, the more I could kinda appreciate you were trying a 'thing'. I just think at first noticing the Cali Love thru me off, then hearing the Still Dre I was like 'wtf'. but kinda see what you were doing, n did that well
I was. Wanted to put those two things together and see what it would sound like. Thanks for the feedback
@Vossi Beats what a great ode to classics past-how'd you put it together? thought it could have been better mastered if i'm being critical but i liked it alot-the horns like, excellent.
Thanks bro. I sampled the horns and the rest are made in good old fl studio piano roll. You are right about the master, I forgot to sweep the eq and that would have made a big difference on some of the harsh frequencies. I might re edit it somewhered somewhere on the line to balance it more. So thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated ✌

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Finally had some time to give some feedback before Fade closes the thread. For most of the beats I tried to say something helpful. Im no music expert just giving my opinion, hope it helps for the next time.

@LiveLargeBeats - Dope beat, I would only say shorten the intro

@Armani - The composition is there, I just think you used the wrong sounds for a gFunk/west coast style beat.. Look for more fuller sounds (if that makes sense)

@Mahlhavoc - I love melody, drums just a little busy for the theme.

@Iron Keys - Hard to critique this one, its a solid instrumental. I can hear it playing in the background of a west coast movie or tv show

@Face Valid - Every time I listened your beat I can hear Phonte from Little Brother singing over this.

@Frees - The Drums and Bass worked, but the melody on top didn’t fit the theme. maybe use more session instrument sounds.

@nottr - Cool beat, tempo a little too fast for the theme

@Pcs shorty - Too many changeups, difficult to really focus on the music. But the section where you only have the bass and drums playing was actually funky enough. focus on the bass and drums, and add some stabs small instrumentation around that.

@RUCCER_TIME - Your beat was the opposite of Pcs shorty. You needed a changeup. Reminded me of when a daw goes into ‘midi note stuck’

@Stona Persona - cool beat, the only issue I had was the lead didn’t really fit the beat IMO.

@Vossi Beats - I actually liked what you did in mashing up the two Dre songs. I was on the fence about it as far as voting, but you put it together real well.

@xoxo_daisy__ - You was right there, the beat itself was solid, but the final mix/master wasn’t up to par. I have that issue as well. Mastering is whole other beast.

@YannFer - Cant believe this didn’t get more votes, def slept on. Maybe if the kick and snare hit harder IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

members online