Beat This! - July 29-30, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Having trouble using the site today, often happens on my computer. Can't tell if it's comp, internet, or site. My phone usually don't have too much issue. gimme a second i beg. I'm struggling to even send chat messages on here

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I would never .... was hope’n for a sample flip tho ... oh well next time

By the way, if you were waiting you were probably doing the wrong thing --- the countdown is to when the comp OPENS TO SUBMISSIONS. The theme is announced a week in advance, and you have that week to work on your submission. Thensubmit when the comp "opens".

If you were planning ona theme being announced *now* and then working, you'd miss the submission.

technically, hardly anybody truely makes their own beat.. people use pre made beats like loops and kits..so nobody makes their own beat anymore not even the money making producers create from scratch all the time...i know some big named producers that have paid for beats made by other people..just sayin..but using the Mp3 demo's ..that's phuked up
Im always fully composing my beats, I only use samples when thats the specific sound Im going for, or when Im having trouble coming up with something, or if its a specific themed sample flip battle or just for fun in the sampleflip threads. I dont use loops, never have, unless I chopped them myself from a sample track.
Ive always hated the limitations of loops, which is why I spent so many years learning to compose and make whatever I like and have full control over it.

Im always fully composing my beats, I only use samples when thats the specific sound Im going for, or when Im having trouble coming up with something, or if its a specific themed sample flip battle or just for fun in the sampleflip threads. I dont use loops, never have, unless I chopped them myself from a sample track.
Ive always hated the limitations of loops, which is why I spent so many years learning to compose and make whatever I like and have full control over it.
What i like to do is to get loops, the loops usually have a midi pattern for those loops, i than cut, put a different instrument to it. I dnt mind if we useloops at all, they are pretty limiting though being usually about 4 bars and if you lucky 8. I am trying to learn full progressions.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.

This was basically me, actually still is. Heartbreak at realising most of my favourite records are a sample.

But yeah, as much as having full control and originality appeals to you and I, personally I find it could possibly hold me back from feeling free to just use something that sounds great and right. Because it feels like cheating. But yeah

This was basically me, actually still is. Heartbreak at realising most of my favourite records are a sample.

But yeah, as much as having full control and originality appeals to you and I, personally I find it could possibly hold me back from feeling free to just use something that sounds great and right. Because it feels like cheating. But yeah
I always thought using loops was cheating, I had hip hop ejay(remember that? hahahaha) that felt like cheating and turned me off loops for life, unless I specifically chop a loop, then thats my favorite way of sampling. Its a complicated love hate thing i have going on hahahahahaha. If I choose what to loop then its technically my loop hahahaha.

Sometimes when trying to come up with a melody to start a beat I hit a brick wall and the creative block is a problem, thats when I look for something to sample, and usually that solves the problem. Composing from scratch can have its issues too, I went through a stage of everything sounding the same, sounding like a dre beat, I found my playing on the keyboard had become predictable and I was always doing the same things, but now Im composing like I never have before, just stick with it and believe in yourself, It was believing in myself that took my playing to the next level and has me where I am now, still broke as fuck, but Im back at it and doing well, especially here in the battles, so I know Im on the right track.
At this point I can find the key and scale of any particular song in seconds and then improvise within that scale and do whatever I like with it, its liberating.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I always thought using loops was cheating, I had hip hop ejay(remember that? hahahaha) that felt like cheating and turned me off loops for life, unless I specifically chop a loop, then thats my favorite way of sampling. Its a complicated love hate thing i have going on hahahahahaha. If I choose what to loop then its technically my loop hahahaha.

Sometimes when trying to come up with a melody to start a beat I hit a brick wall and the creative block is a problem, thats when I look for something to sample, and usually that solves the problem. Composing from scratch can have its issues too, I went through a stage of everything sounding the same, sounding like a dre beat, I found my playing on the keyboard had become predictable and I was always doing the same things, but now Im composing like I never have before, just stick with it and believe in yourself, It was believing in myself that took my playing to the next level and has me where I am now, still broke as fuck, but Im back at it and doing well, especially here in the battles, so I know Im on the right track.
At this point I can find the key and scale of any particular song in seconds and then improvise within that scale and do whatever I like with it, its liberating.

Your story sounds identical to my story. Like if i copy pasted 95% of that it would apply.

I just gotta win some battles for that extra 5%

Your story sounds identical to my story. Like if i copy pasted 95% of that it would apply.

I just gotta win some battles for that extra 5%
whereabouts in the uk are you? we should have a jam session some time, I can go through some mixing tips with you, would be better to actually just show you in person, we will have to arrange something sometime, even if you come to my mates studio and we have a session or something, just bounce some ideas and see where it takes us. I practically refurbished the studio with my own two hands so they owe me, it wont cost anything. Might even get some artists on your beats too

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online