Beat This! - September 9-10, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBoy

ProducerDrew
Battle Points: 135
No percussion whatsoever.
Got it. Can we use sound FX. Because some people like myself would argue that they are percussive in nature. Example: if I cant use a reverse cymbal to swell up into the chorus, I could use white noise instead to swell up and sound like a cymbal. I could make a synth sound like a drum with reverb and a high attack. None of that too right?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Got it. Can we use sound FX. Because some people like myself would argue that they are percussive in nature. Example: if I cant use a reverse cymbal to swell up into the chorus, I could use white noise instead to swell up and sound like a cymbal. I could make a synth sound like a drum with reverb and a high attack. None of that too right?

A synth that sounds like a drum is a drum.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I didn't think this theme would be so complicated! I just thought "Hey let's take drums out of the equation" and now it's all "Can I sample the guy on the corner banging spoons?".

source.gif

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
And personally i think it's dope to have unconventional themes like this from time to time.

It's kinda like being at art/music college and your tutors give you a project or task that forces you to think outside the box a little. Or challenges you to take a different approach.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I didn't think this theme would be so complicated! I just thought "Hey let's take drums out of the equation" and now it's all "Can I sample the guy on the corner banging spoons?".

source.gif

It really isn't. It's essentially people going "hey, dont care what theme you set i want drums can i put drums in anyway?"

It's like a sample flip and saying "can i not use the sample and just put its title as my beat name?" "What if i dont use the sample but use an instrument that is also in the sample?"

Come on maaaaayn

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well I've always said that these battles are a way to practice too because what if someone asks to buy your beat but they don't want drums? Or they don't want synth? And they're willing to pay lots of money? What would you do?

It's a great way to learn how to work with a client's wishes and deliver the product they want.

When I did the Beat Fights intro video, I made just a simple synth track and it was fun because I wasn't even thinking of drums and it turned out pretty sweet.

this is a reaaaaaaaaaally awesome theme, actually changed the way I look at hip hop a little, but one little thing.
A vocal track is rhythmic, I mean what do you thing "Flow" is? the votes will kinda be biased to the better vocals because of that. I think a vocal track should not be allowed for this one.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
this is a reaaaaaaaaaally awesome theme, actually changed the way I look at hip hop a little, but one little thing.
A vocal track is rhythmic, I mean what do you thing "Flow" is? the votes will kinda be biased to the better vocals because of that. I think a vocal track should not be allowed for this one.

As long as it's not vocal drums like beatboxing or any other variation it shouldbe fine.

I think what Fade mostly meant(?) by rhythm is no percussion type sounds... whether they're acoustic, synthetic, mouthed, or manipulated to act as drums.

As long as it's not vocal drums like beatboxing or any other variation it shouldbe fine.

I think what Fade mostly meant(?) by rhythm is no percussion type sounds... whether they're acoustic, synthetic, mouthed, or manipulated to act as drums.
I do not need tutoring my dear monkey, I'm just sayin. vocal tracks don't need any effort from the beatmaker so it's kinda idk... weird to have them? idk.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I do not need tutoring my dear monkey, I'm just sayin. vocal tracks don't need any effort from the beatmaker so it's kinda idk... weird to have them? idk.

They require the effort of choosing the right vocal, making it work with the track, etc.

I appreciate sometimes vocals can be like a cheatcode. But at the same time, beats are mostly really made for vocals. So sometimes you need the vocal so you can get the best out of a beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online