Eminem' Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hectic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Eminem' Production

I wanted to know what other people out there think of Em's beats. At the moment he's trying to put himself out there as a credible producer, doing tracks for Jay-Z and Nas just lately as well as producing most of the material on the Shady label. But I'm not yet convinced.

I thought his production for the Tupac and Biggie collabo was below average. Particularly the way he used the sped up vocal sample for the chorus and the constant talking over the track was just annoying.

What does everyone else think?

Hectic

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think some of "Eminems" beats are pretty good, but i don't think he's a real producer.

Overseeing a project, while someone plays a keyboard and Em taps out a simple beat on a drum machine ain't real producing to me. There was a thread on this not too long ago, do a search for it

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Well I dunno whether anybody has really been near a production setup, or been around producers that make a lot of the stuff that makes the cut on a lot albums I know one of the engineers from Murda Inc he also did some production too and saw the gear he used and heard a lot of the original samples still on his MPC's that were used on the one of the last albums ......I hate to dissapoint you but for they most part the stuff they are working with is not, I repeat not the tools in your average home producers setups...or another dissapointment ...Fruityloops or Reason.....9th wonder is an exception....ok onto Eminem, as much as I would like to hate on him.....a real production house has everything at your disposal to construct a track...all HI Quality Samples....Pre produced phrases and Riffs that don't come on an Acid CD or anywhere on the net......samples that REAL musicians come in and record on the spot.....not to mention custom samples.....Just think as what they are working with not only in the way of Gear but Sound resources and Riffs at their disposal, literally millions of nice samples and other stuff....anyone that has some clue about how to put together a track put into a studio situation with enuff times can make tracks like that, and you have to consider it's not just Eminem sitting there by himself like Afrique said but, I just wanted to shine some light on what really goes on at a label with Big money and the ability to get whatever they want to provide their producers with, imagine loading fruitloops up with some of the samples and phrase they use......and I was amazed by just the 20 minutes or so of going thru some of the samples that they were using....

ill o.g.
Em was makin the beats for D12 a while ago. Its not like he just started. Theres a couple of D12 mixtapes you can find with no eminem on it. Thats because he was doin the beats. I know what BigD is sayin, and its true, but Em's been makin beats before he had all that.

ill o.g.
my 50 cents:

1. "hate to dissapoint you but for they most part the stuff they are working with is not, I repeat not the tools in your average home producers setups" - DEPENDS. many studios have reason\fruity-loops\etc' installed.

2. "9th wonder is an exception" - he ain't!

3."Pre produced phrases and Riffs that don't come on an Acid CD or anywhere on the net" - once again, this is not accurate. lots of studios have commercial sample cds on the shelves. it's true that some of those cds were made by custom order.

4. "literally millions of nice samples and other stuff" - well, you can buy 100 sample cds and have millions of samples as well :yes:

5. everything you have mentioned, is exactly the reason why i don't listen nor care about commercial music. let them make their shitty music and earn shitload of $$$.

6. nowadays, MTV defines hip-hop.
all those big flashy studios and labels mean nothing to me. i just don't care.
what i do respect is people sitting at home and making REAL MUSIC with the little they got. this is the true spirit of hip-hop you see.
believe me, this place - Illmuzik - got some of the best producers\emcees i've ever heard!
and those people aren't making their music in a big ostentatious studio with 50 trained musicians on their side.

7. regarding the original topic: like bigd said, i'm sure eminem isn't doing all the work by himself...

Have A Nice Day,
Wings

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
what i think of ems beats?
they suck..
yeah they have a kick in it
a snare, even hihats and bass but i dont like those beats..

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
heres what i think of em's beats.....

i think most guys here are much better.

everyone has heard me rant about this a thousand times already. they suck NUTTS.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like ems beats but im not here to explain why or why i think thier so dope to me. Im just going to point some facts about his music.

1. there has to be a reason jay z and nas want production from eminem. I don't think its a friendship thing, i think they really like ems beats a lot and would like to rap over them.

2. the brotha sells a lot of music, he must be doing something right.

3. he does create his own beats, don't knock him off just cause he can't play instruments and has someone play some notes for him. Cause most if not all hip hop producers can not play any instruments. Everyone in this board would take advantage of having musicians play notes for them. I think its fine as along as you created the melody and just had them play it.

thats all thank you heh heh

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
i dont knock him because he cant play an instrument- i knock him because they suck EVEN THOUGH HE HAS PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS PLAYING THEM. if anyone on this site submitted those to a major label, we would get laughed at and told to keep our day jobs. if one of us put any of his tracks in the showcase we would get a million critiques on it.... .

ill o.g.
Eminem's production skills on The Eminem Show are also gaining a lot of attention. Although Dre contributed three beats, Slim Shady decided to make his most of own tracks instead of relying heavily on the Doc's g-funk.

"Dre is always open," Em explained a few weeks before his album came out. "He lets me experiment, which is dope 'cause if I bring something to him that's wack, he's gonna tell me. At the same time I wanted to show him, 'Look, this is what I learned from you. You taught me that. ' "

Still, he turned to the Doc for guidance here and there.

"Dre really helped me on 'Hailie's Song,' " he said. "I had remixed it, and it took me like a week, and I took it to him. Dre's got this little saying, if he doesn't like something he'll turn it off and be like, 'Straight R&B, straight R&B.' You're like, 'Damn.' Then he'll be like, 'Look, this is what we need to do to change it.' And thank God he helped me on that song. We remixed it. It came out a lot better."

Elsewhere he was guided simply by his own vision — and a little help from the past.

"Seventies rock had a feel to it — it was crazy. When I go back and listen to it, like Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix or Aerosmith, there was a feel that '70s rock had that was incredible. I thought, 'What if I took that feel and that emotion and put it with [the new millennium]?'

"I like guitars," he added. "I know guitars ain't real big in hip-hop, but if you use them the right way they can be. Other rappers have used them and got away with it."

It was Em's right-hand man Proof who sparked the idea to sample Aerosmith's "Dream On" for "Sing for the Moment."

"I had wanted to do it a long time ago, when I was like 16, 17," he said of the sample. "I had wanted to use it but just kind of forgot about it. He brought it to my attention again. He was like, 'I'm telling you, man, don't sleep on it.' The chorus fit what I was going through at the time so ... we just constructed the beat. I already had the rhyme wrote."

All of the songs seemed to just come together like that, he said. There was no method to the madness.

"Honestly, I don't really have a formula that I go by," Em said. "I just get in the studio, I start playing with the drum machine or whatever if I like a pattern. I got a keyboard player that I get in there. A lot of times I'll write my rhyme before I make the beat, and the pattern of my rhyme will kind of sway the beat a little. I don't really have a set formula. I just get in and work."

[taken from: http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1455040/06052002/eminem.jhtml]

ill o.g.
One thing ive seen about 'Ems's beats is that there pretty simple and to the point. Meaning: They dont take away from the artist. Meaning: He's proving that you dont need real hot beats to sell an/or have people listen.

Originally posted by WingsOfAnAngel
...i do respect is people sitting at home and making REAL MUSIC with the little they got. this is the true spirit of hip-hop you see.
believe me, this place - Illmuzik - got some of the best producers\emcees i've ever heard!
and those people aren't making their music in a big ostentatious studio with 50 trained musicians on their side...

Yea Wings! LEAD THE MOVEMENT!!!!

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
well, you exactly right- it shows that if you are already a marketable NAME, you can half ass it and still seel records. of course they dont take away from the artist- even mediocre cats sound good over an em beat because the em beats are generally plain and generic, and that means that you dont NEED to snap to sound better then the track. OR... it shows that to make it work, you DO need to snap...that one actually works both ways if you ask me. jay came real nice on that moment of clarity. too bad the track sucks ass. yes, I AM A HATER FOLKS, at least when it comes to this topic.

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by bigdmakintrax
Well I dunno whether anybody has really been near a production setup, or been around producers that make a lot of the stuff that makes the cut on a lot albums I know one of the engineers from Murda Inc he also did some production too and saw the gear he used and heard a lot of the original samples still on his MPC's that were used on the one of the last albums ......I hate to dissapoint you but for they most part the stuff they are working with is not, I repeat not the tools in your average home producers setups...or another dissapointment ...Fruityloops or Reason.....9th wonder is an exception....ok onto Eminem, as much as I would like to hate on him.....a real production house has everything at your disposal to construct a track...all HI Quality Samples....Pre produced phrases and Riffs that don't come on an Acid CD or anywhere on the net......samples that REAL musicians come in and record on the spot.....not to mention custom samples.....Just think as what they are working with not only in the way of Gear but Sound resources and Riffs at their disposal, literally millions of nice samples and other stuff....anyone that has some clue about how to put together a track put into a studio situation with enuff times can make tracks like that, and you have to consider it's not just Eminem sitting there by himself like Afrique said but, I just wanted to shine some light on what really goes on at a label with Big money and the ability to get whatever they want to provide their producers with, imagine loading fruitloops up with some of the samples and phrase they use......and I was amazed by just the 20 minutes or so of going thru some of the samples that they were using....

PUNCTUATION NIGGA DAMN!

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Eminem beats aight but,they are starting to sound the same to me now.He keep using that same DJ scratching noise and,his strings keeps coming in the same way.If u listen to that part on 50 cent-in da club where it break-down with the strings,he also put that in another beat.I think it was one of tupac songs or jay-z.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
MANJi U A DAMN FOoL.
i LiKED THE TRACK "GHoST" THAT HE DiD FoR THE PAC ALBUM
BUT iS HARD SoMETiMES To LiSTEN To "8 MiLE RoAD" AND THEN LiSTEN To "MoMENT oF CLARiTY" AND THiNK THAT THE SAME PERSoN DiD THiS. THE "RUNNiN" TRACK iS oK ToO.CiTY!!!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Wings you make good points and write a lot on here that makes sense the last 3 months and thatz all good to anyone that might not know any better, I am not sure whether you write from experience or just an internet producer that doesn't get out much, I hate to dissapoint you but you don't really know what you're talking about I won't go into all of the specifics I have been around music and production for awhile Right here on the EAST COAST and I am sorry for Busting your bubble with a lil of Reality based feedback because all you use is software, hopefully that wasn't what sort of pushed you to attempt to counterpoint all of my FACTUAL points and experience as not being true I can't help it but I have been around some producers and their setups that make cuts on albums on a regular basis....some might have fruity loops installed or whatever....but most do not use it and no the samples I am referring to are not available aside from Vinyl...MANJI don't hurt yaself man, you put all of that effort into that IGNANT post like you in ya 12th Grade English Class, thatz cool maybe you can come back with a post worthy of some discussion or debate.... to quote you "NIGGA"....or are you even one? LOL

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
I will pretty much agree with Truth, that was actually my other point , I am a real musician too (Keys, Sax and Drums) played in Neo Soul and Go-Go bands in DC, Maryland and VA along with production and working with MC's, and the two other cats I used to gig with would make pretty good money on the side doing guitar riff and piano melodies and they would go to NY and Miami at least 2 or three times a month doing studio work for hip hop and RNB....If any of you know any of Biggies or Mary J's old Production that was also done by another fellow Musician Chucky Thompson who was a member of Bad Boys Hitmen that works with producers here in the area now out of his local production company, he can play as well as put some samples together, he played the bass and keys on a lot of the old Puffy Era Tracks thatz also one reason I know that a lot of the building blocks for for a lot of tracks that come out aren't from some sample cd that anyone in the world can go out and cop off the internet or commercial sample cd..LOL......This all started about Eminems production.....and I am not an Eminem fan I just wanted to highlight that what BIG Money production teams (I'm not talking about your neighborhood studio or bassment setup) work with Are not the same tools that most people sitting at their computer are using at home and yes it is possible to make a banger even if you arent the best producer in the world if you have the right tools at your disposal.......because a lot of people doubt whether Emenim can produce and I am most Certain that Dre has Rubbed off on him and possibly let him in on some secrets these last few years too........

mrjermaine

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I like a very small handful of his tracks, Moment of Clarity w/Jay-z being one of them. He has a very dark sound and I, like many of you, am not too convinced.

On the subject of a producer playing instruments and all, I think it depends. I agree with what one of you said that if you're not pushing those buttons, I don't think that's HIP HOP production. Now RnB and Rock, most of those producers don't even touch an instrument. Quincy Jones, one of the most respected producers in the world didn't play not one instrument on the Thriller album, but I don't see anyone taking credit away from his talents. On the other hand, I think that with hip hop, its different. You gotta be pushing them buttons to be legit in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.