Fruity Loops or Reason ?

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
First off i use hardware to make my music, triton and mpc, but i am familiar with software. Um my question is what software do you like best fruity loops or reason? I personally think fruity loops is a piece of shit. The whole sequencer is a piece of shit. Why can't you program your drums in 1/4 , 1/8. 1/16, 1/32 note timings? The drums are limited to the timing of that cheap sequencer. With reason on the other hand i was able to program my drums in different note timings. If you work in grid mode its much better and easier to lace drums in a free enviorment and no limitations are there to hold your creative skill back.

And not only for the programing ability but the synths and other optional virtual devices, make reason blow out fruity loops anyday of the weak. Also have you noticed how everyone who uses fruity poops, their programing of their drums all sound the same. Theres no swing at all, maybe thats why 9th wonders music is so wack.

I recommend you fruity loops users get your hands on reason and learn it. Its a professional software so you wont learn it over night like fruity loops.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
um...... im not a mod and all, but i think maybe this is a thread that ought to be closed... or at least the topic altered some.

no offense sober, but this is the type of thrad that goes on and gets people heated. some people have Fl because they cant afford anything else. 9th wonder is one of the bright spots of the production world in my view, although he is along the lines of kanye and just in that EVERYTHING he does is of a VERY similar formula, drums and all. he still nice to me.

*swing is overated. seems like it gets relied on to much to give the drums what the beat maker doesnt have either the skill or patience to learn how to inject his drums with on his own. (not a knock on swing or those who use it, just sayin it seems a lil over used to me.) i personally have spent long, sleepless nights trying to figure out the time/step recording features to create different patterns, fills and the like.

a few more things..

1- its about you and your talent, not what you have.
2- even if you have talent, there are just limits to what some things can do. 9th wonder did (allegedly) do most or all of his work on FL, but i am sure he had them mastered in a studio with pro gear/software.
3. not a bad topic, although i feel it would be more constructive to have taken a different angle on it. (pros and cons of each, something besides just bashing fl...)

anyow thats my two cents. dont spend it all in one place.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Would you believe it, there are people who say the same thing about Reason? And Cubase? And Pro Tools? And the MPC? And the Lakers?

changalang

i make beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
if u can master fruity loops it can be a very powerful program, iv been using it for a year and im still learning new things about it. If u look at it once, u can dismiss fruity loops as a stupid program. Ill admit tho that reason is more powerful but a lot more complicated

B

BeatOff

Originally posted by vitaminman
Would you believe it, there are people who say the same thing about Reason? And Cubase? And Pro Tools? And the MPC? And the Lakers?

The only thing true in there is the lakers :evil:

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
if u can master fruity loops it can be a very powerful program, iv been using it for a year and im still learning new things about it. If u look at it once, u can dismiss fruity loops as a stupid program. Ill admit tho that reason is more powerful but a lot more complicated

See this is where i think a lot of you guys have tha wrong concept of how reason works and opperates...
I have fruity loops and i have messed with it on countless occasions - and given, with enough time on your hands you might be able to make somethin that sounds close to whats in your head.
But as for reason in this area of this prgm. vs. this prgm. - i would have to give reason full credit for bringing a prgm. that is far more intuitive than fruity loops and has far more intelligent navigation throughout tha interfacing of tha prgm.
I think that at first glance or with only a couple days/weeks under your belt with reason - if your not one of those guys who wants to learn about how how your hardware/software works and then take a stab at it thenreason is prob not for you. By this i mean it seems like a lot of fruity user want a quick fix, but ironic part about that is ...reason is still easier to use in tha respect that everything is where you would expect it be in a real rack in your studio. thats tha beauty about reason - its modeled after vintage machines and hardware and you connect everything to each other just as if you were in tha studio addin shit to your rack...Its tha closest to tha real in my opinion without sacrificing quality and even adding more flexible capabilities than than tha real hardwares.

Steeze

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Word up i agree with you duecemade. It does seem fruity loops users are trying to get a quick fix. In all honesty every fruity loop beat i have ever heard, from hundreds of users, they all sound the same. Same drum patterns no swing or vibe to their beats. Isn't that why fruity loops is endorsed as a techno type of music program?

The reason why threads get heated is for stupid ass coments like the 9th wonder being in the lines of kanye and that swing is over rated and that the lakers are overrated.

LOL! dog are you serious man! 9th wonder is no way in hell close to kanye. Thats a rediculas statement. How in the hell can 9th wonder be in the lines of kanye west? man... Jam Master J would be flippen in his grave right now if he heard that shit.

Swing being overrated? that like saying rhythm is overrated. You might as well say kicks and snares are overused. :headscrat

3 peat champs is not overrated. You mean to say the bulls first 3 peat was overrated too? I think someone drank his hater juice this morning.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
stupid ass comments".....

no, the reason hy threads get heated is when you take direct shots at something someone said and make comments like the one you just made. there is no need to act like that just because you disagree.

complain all you want about my views! jam master jay is overated too! he can roll all he wants, that doesnt make you right and me wrong.

swing and rythmn are two different things.... you dont need swing, you just need to know how to go about programming tracks in a different manner. i had nothing against swing, i just said i felt like it gets rellied upon a little to much as a crutch sometimes. i wonder how musicians with live instruments get by without computer generated programs to correct their flaws and add things that they dont know how to do on their own.... oh yeah, its called practice. all i was saying was that it is overated to me. no big deal, really. i coul care less one way or the other, its just n opinion. no need to be up in arms about it.

:shootout: :bash: :cuss: :whiner:

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I am fairly new to reason I like it but I also have the latest edition of Fruity loops, sequencing in fruity loops can be corrected manually or with their quantize.....you can record your track by banging it in on your mpd or midi controller and at the same time it gets the swing and you can correct the quantization manually....and even if you correct the quantization with the software it lets you set it visually you can't get any simpler than that???? but anyhow I have sequenced on the mpc and reason's sequencer is very close to how you can make corrections.....but I don't think that reason is light years ahead in what you can do fruity loops is severely underrated.....my only beef is that fruity loops software processors don't appear to be as good as the ones in reason or can you get fat bass without distortion or clipping...

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I didn't take any of his comments as a direct shot, they weren't mentioned to me, it was an opinion and i gave one back. Which i guess was a direct shot towards him but come on man 9th wonder as equal to kanye west? thats going overboard.

And here is a direct shot towards him : jam master j overrated? how long have you been listening to hip hop kid? 2 years? 3 max? I don't think anyone in this board would say such a thing if they knew their hip hop. You should thank jam master j for your interests in hip hop in the first place rookie. :no: i can't believe this cat said that. :no:

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
yeah, the last 12 years.... ok. guess i am a rookie. just because dude was a pioneer peopel are on his nuts. good beats for his time.

if he is so great then how come crown royal sucked ass? that album was garbage. great for their time, but thats exactly it- great for their time.

sorry if i am not among some of you sheep who think that everything old=great. maybe if you would lay off the alcahol for a minute you could think for yourself...

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
12 years yeah sure buddy shows how much you know when you claim 9th wonder is equal to kanye. 12 years listening to music and you claim swing and vibe in a track is overrated. 12 years and you claim jam master j is overrated. 12 years of listening to music and have no respect for the legend! 12 years and you attack those you claim are sheep who have respect for jam master j! you should lower that number back to 3 years kid.

TRUTH TOLD YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED! JUST GIVE IT UP NEWB. :finger:

T

The Bastard

im one of the people that looked at fruity loops and never looked back the main thing that turned me away is the sequencer,i just like to have more control than that its straight for a drum machine i guess, i have heard sum tight beats that were made on fruity loops but then again ive heard some phat beats that were made on ejay,not saying they are the same,jus sayin what u hear does not reflect the quality of the software

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
OK. I suppose this is my fault...Ill take tha blame.
I didnt expect my initial comment to expand into another semi-beef thread.
Dont take what i said beyind what it meant though to everyone who thought i was completely dissing fruity.
I know for a fact that people are capable of producing some complex stuff in fruity - i jus explained on how i thought that fruity is too horribly interfaced and jus really isnt as intuitive as reason.
I just added tha comment about tha "quick fix" cuz when i see fruity and then look at reason i acknowledge tha fact that reason could seem more intimidating than fruity, but thats tha problem i was trying to point out.
It really isnt hard to use, its quite easy for a matter a fact!............
Anyways no more beef aiight!......Back to tha OG topic.

Steeze

T

The Bastard

and legends never die,just like the imortal hulk ho gan, wordlife

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
"12 years yeah sure buddy shows how much you know when you claim 9th wonder is equal to kanye. 12 years listening to music and you claim swing and vibe in a track is overrated. 12 years and you claim jam master j is overrated. 12 years of listening to music and have no respect for the legend! 12 years and you attack those you claim are sheep who have respect for jam master j! you should lower that number back to 3 years kid.

TRUTH TOLD YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED! JUST GIVE IT UP NEWB"

first off, i never said 9th wonder was equal to kanye; if yuor illiterate ass could (or just would) read what i wrote, i said "he is along the lines of kanye west IN THAT THEY TEND TO USE THE SAME FORMULA IN ALL THEIR BEATS. that doesnt make a "newbie" by any strecth.

12 years and i still think that swing is overated... thats from 4 years of work with drum machines, not listening to music. so... do you think that live musicians use "swing"? what the hell do you think a drummer uses to play drums live? not a damn quantizer..... all i said was it was overated TO ME, but for some reason you took offense to my opinion (i dont like to use it myself, once again i am not knocking anyone who does, so please dont jump on the bandwagon).

hey, guess what? there are other people who think jam master jay is overated! there are people that think that planet rock is the wackest thing they ever heard! there are people who tihnk the neptunes suck horribly, who think mos def cant rhyme, who think that the roots cant put on much of a live show, who think that dr dre is a sham of a producer, that think primo's beats all sound the same, ........ the list goes on. everyone sees things the way they see them. NOT EVERYONE WILL AGREE WITH YOU. its just life.

i know people that think biggie is overated, i know cats that think eminem is the greatest rapper to ever walk the earth, some people think krs one is the nicest ever, i dont agree, many dont but many do at the same time, i think mos def is one of the best lyricists ever, but others will tell me it is rakim and act like i "dont know hip hop" because i happen to think that mos is on a MUCH higher level lyrically then ANYONE was in the 80's, but then again i only started listening when i was 10 so what do i know? right? some of you on here need to calm yourselves down when it comes to these matters of opinion, because half the time you dont have any argument for your reasoning besides "so and so is a legend, you must be a listener for 5 years..." never mind skills, never mind creativity, or anything else. its cool to debate, but saying things like "come on dog, sayin 9th wonder is along the lines of kanye is F@#$in rediculous...." arent productive at all. why is it rediculous? because i myself like 9th wonder much more then kanye; its a matter of taste, not fact. i think ayatollah rocks kanye as well. I think that-ME. MYSELF. it doesnt mean that you should have to based on my thoughts on the matter. if you are going to argue, at least take the time and brain cells to formulate a real, tangible thought and a reason for your argument. its just rediculous when you begin criticizing people on the forum because they dont see it your way.

there are plenty of sites out there for those of you who like this sort of banter. lets not screw the good one we got going over some friggin opinions of taste.

i didnt attack anyone who respects jam master jay; i didnt call anyone who thinks that he is good sheep. i said that "i am sorry if i am not one of you sheep who think that everything old=great" meaning, I dont have to like it just because the rest of you do, "legend" or not.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This is my last post on this topic, you can have as many responds that you want after this. Nothing will change what you said. Not even long paragraphs trying to justify or explain what you said.

"hey, guess what? there are other people who think jam master jay is overated! there are people that think that planet rock is the wackest thing they ever heard! who think that dr dre is a sham of a producer, that think primo's beats all sound the same"

As far as this little statement , yes thats true what you say, and it is also true real hip hop heads consider these guys wack ass lame kids "backpackers" such as yourself that have no knowledge of old school hip hop. Infact thats a perfect example of a newbie "backpacker" who knows nothing of where hip hop came from and its roots. Dumbass you just poved my point and exposed yourself again.

Don't give an example of how people hate this people hate that, just admit it all those artists you mentioned you dislike. Stop trying to hide it its obvious you explained the famous artists and legends in hip hop that you dislike or think they are overrated.

Stop trying to claim that you have been listening to hip hop for so long and that your so knowledgable in producing music. You come off as a stupid backpacker and if you don't like it then change your views or don't spit out stupid comments like jam master j is overrated or that 9th wonder is in the lines or creates the same formula <--(whatever the fuck that means) as kanye. Id like to see you say that shit about jam master j at any hip hop show out loud and see what happens to your backpacking ass.

Yeah you don't have to like legends that helped inspire many artists that helped your stupid ass get involved in hip hop in the first place. just don't be a sissy bitch about it when your called out on it and labeled all sorts of names like newbie, backpacker, lame ass, and wack fuck, im sure theres more to describe you.

HA HA mos def the illest? don't get me wrong but hasn't he only dropped one album? lol how can he be the illest? stupid newb.

Just because you give an opinion or a statement doesn't mean someone will have to respect what you said or for some reason you think you have immunity for negative feedback.

Oh yeah why do you keep mentioning live musicians? this post had nothing to do with live instruments. And my comment on swing was between two softwares. Oh i guess your just talking out of your ass again trying to justify your stupid comment on how swing is overrated.

Im done exposing your ass, i hope you have fun trying to give your opinion about hip hop in future posts, i doubt anyone after reading this will respect anything you say.:wave2:

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Originally posted by vitaminman

You forgot about The triton and the jets