Fruity Loops or Reason ?

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
lmao see it all depends what kind of hiphop you listen to to say 9th is wack but anyway i use reason alot now but i like to combine it wit cubase i also use fruity as well make a little beat if i want a certain sound export it and put it through recycle i felt the same way when i 1st saw it could make my hip hop beats on there i said yep dats for dance tecno all dat shit but i kept tryin learnt more now its easy not to go on but lots of other produces have used fruity for beats large professor dre a lot of them do for certain things

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo truth told i can't for the day when this post is officially closed. :barf:

im still claiming the title though (for longest post) :suicide:

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
See i waited until the End.....I like Fruity and Reason and if I want different sound I use one or the other.....Reason's sequencer just reminds me of the mpc and it will retain the pattern just like you banged it in....that was why I like the mpc too.......Fruity will do the same thing if you hand bang the track....it just seems a lil harder to just choose quantize and it fixes your timing.....the sequencer in Reason has the ability to make very slight changes and correct your timing without a lot of extra tweaking.......If they improve reason in the next version with support for vst's and fx's on individual channels then it will be running neck and neck....Fruity has some hidden secrets i won't share right now and you can make tracks have the same swing...I have had the sp12 and the sp1200 both machines set the standard for using swing in hip hop tracks and I have to say that Fruity loops when used in a certain way will emulate that gear.....so if you don't want or can't afford to buy hardware my Vote is for Fruityloops but if you got enuff for another piece get Reason and you got two very good music making softwares...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Hey D...THats what i just found in FL between using both also...though i dont use hardware.
Honestly tha only 2 things that make FL tempting to me some times are tha swing/humanizing abilties and tha vst support.
Without those i dont think fruity would even appeal to me...Comparing sequencer to sequencer though reason is far superior in ease of opperation compared to FL...creating fixes and seeing it tha way it was banged out a minute ago - like D said is far better than FL's sequencer.

I just like tha swing function tha best...that shit is soo tight.
Reason has this ability too but its not setup to be as flexible in just adjusting it at will.....If they could improve that and tha non-vst support in tha nex version of reason im gonna have a fuckin cow.LOL.

Steezo

M

MIKELABZ

i started on FL and i acquired Reason a little while ago... now they both serve their purpose. reason has far better drumming capabilities however the addition of vst plugins within FL has made this the program for exclusive beat making... i dont own rebirth or rewire and i dont think i should have to.... FL is an all in one program that doesnt eat up computer memory tho... reason's factory sound bank alone is enuff to give 40 GB computers coniptions...

so for all in one package FL is the way to go... to me a good program has to have everything all inclusive.... paying for other software that compliments software i already own is a big hassle... reason would be great if it came with rebirth and rewire and vst support wouldnt hert either.

L-Rock

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
You should check the website, I just posted a topic on FL4.5 which now works Rewire host and client, multitrack recording and much more. So far the best build from them yet.

If you got the registered version you should be able to upgrade from the site.

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
everything you said that fruity couldn't do....CAN.

i use the new FL Studio 4.5 and its amazing. i like it better than cubase, reason , all that other shit. my beats have swing, and i dont even have any of the samples that come with FL, i get my own. the sequencer is sick and quick, and once you know how to use it, its limitless. reason is full of samples and synths that are toys.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
4.5 iz amazing according to tha specs that i have read as well....

One thing i will point out tho, iz that: reason ISNT A TOY...Tha sounds that come stock in either reason or fl are both fucking gay and thats evidant...thats on you to dig up some dope shit to sample, but as for reason, i have to support it..not that im anti-FL...I jus think that people preconcieve whether a software iz tha shit or not jus cuz they dont know how to complety use it to its full adavantages....

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
Trust, i swear to god you are speaking out of your arse, reasons synths are toys are they? really, it seems you like fruity because of this swing factor, which reason already has, but sir, can you not program swing? tut tut squire, tut tut....

M

MIKELABZ

ok FL and reason. apples and oranges. PC and MAC. Fl is the user freindlier one of the two, but it has a ton of features that reason cant compete with. Reason is just like using hardware... those of us who were bought up on the manual transmission cars feel as tho they have more control over that car because they are the ones shifting the individual gears... this is the same with reason... its not user friendly and its very easy to loose touch of your clutch... reason is software for those of us who have used hardware and grew accustomed to its features... its not a program that u can immediately jump into unless you have had prior experience in hardware... FL is the program to beat. it can do all that reason does and its more compatible with reason then reason is of it... theres more

FL is VST compatible which makes it the best sequencer available... and until reason combines VST ability then it will never be in the same ballpark as FL... basically reason is too closed ended to be the sequencer that i would use on a daily basis... options are good and reason is the second option for now.

L-Rock

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Get off Kanye's nuts. Kanye does make sick beats don't get me wrong, but people jock him too hard. He uses vocal samples in way too many of his songs and needs to chill with it before he runs it into the ground and makes anyone else who does it a biter. I think the best producers have a variety of sounds. I feel truthtold about jam master jay being overrated. He's tight for what he did for rap and his stuff was good then, but if someone made those beats now they'd get clowned on and slapped for making wack ass beats. I still have much respect for him though and realize that people as a whole progress over time, so there was no way he was going to make beats like you here now. As far as Reason or fruity goes, i use fruity and it's clean as fuck. Don't knock it tell you've mastered it. I would love to try reason though. 9th wonder is on Kanye's level nigga say somethin!

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My bad, i didn't see the other pages, I'm hella late!

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
The very same people in this thread

Are some of the same people that should make sure they check out the exhibition on March the 9th. There will be tips, advice, and production from these same softwares/hardwares. You will learn stuff from FLstudio,Cubase,Reason, and the Mpc users. This may shead some actual light on things and level the disputation. Everyone seems to fall back on the same type line, you can do anything with all of them, but at the same times it seem that that's not really believed. If you got valuable information to share, come get in the exhibition and shead some light on your software/hardware abilities. As for swing in FL studio, I never use it, it always mess up my tracks, I guess that's because I already have my own swing. Bigd I'm interested in hearing some of these secrets, I got some of my own to share.

It's only a few spots left in the exhibition, only one left for flstudio. atleast come by and see what it's about. it's neutral ground.

You can find the thread in the lounge. Please don't post if you not signing up, or like the idea.

J

jagged up

Fruityloops , I aint got much experience with it but i know you can make hot beats with it just as you can make hot beats with reason or cubase . I dont get why peepz thinks it so special someone cn make a hot beat with fl . Anyways .... It depends on ya budget whatya should choose . I saw you already got a triton and a mpc . You damn lucky ..... You got money so i would choose cubase .

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Word jagged, just let us put it alll simplified,
Reason - hard as coconuts to use, takes an extra day or two to make that hot beat, but you will still get the banga out somehow.
Fl Studio - not for the price, why I prefer to use this, but now that I have experience with Reason there are certain little things that make fruity my choice.
1.) Piano roll is easy to manipulate, simple things like right click to delete the note, move the cursor to the edge of the note to stretch it, and even the resize button to stretch the window itself. In reason I find myself frustrated cuz you have to keep moving around the mouse to find your tools. They should just tell you right on the Reason website, hey if you gon' buy this software you'll need a midi keyboard thats another $200 dollars to the price tag.
2.) I have Reason for 17 days now and I cant get a track out yet, Its not the complexity that annoys me, it just takes too much of an effort to build a track.
For example in Fruity you have your Sample Browser, nicely organized to your left, just drag and drop and your good to go, In Reason, it drives me nuts how many different file formats they use on the software, what were they thinking all of these diifferent file formats simple means you cant go online and search and dig for new sounds, you probably have to go and buy more reason stuff, add another 100 bucks to the price tag.
3.) The whole make up of Reason is annoying, the whole different components thing is a great idea, but after a while you feel you have no control over the interface, you have to be continuosly dragging the mouse to get around the interface, and all that graphics only mean more memory, I have a 256 mb ram 1 ghz pc, that aint enough so for uprages I woul have to look for a new pc add another $300 -$500 bucks to the price tag, much less you'll need at least a 19" monitor cuz my 17 aint enough so add another $150 for a second hand 19 or 21 ".
Now, I feel I am gonna reheat the debate, but I want y'all to realize that I didn't say nuttin bout which is better, for they are both great tools, and I just believe that there are more things that make a software great and fruity just seems to do that well, the way it is designed.