Gating

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I've really never tried to get into "gating" i'm trying to grasp that concepts as of recent and I wanted to know what are some good techniques to start with?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I just have to say the new gate in Reason 6 called Alligator is so awesome for this!

alligator-full-756px.jpg

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
DAMN YOU DP AND YOUR REASON PROPAGANDA lol, nah but seriously how is gating actually used? forgive me I've never took the time to try to understand it.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Gates are good for cutting out freqs. no big deal! Think of it as an eq....hahahaha oops let me correct myself...think of it as the (-) side of an eq =)

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
That article was written 10 yrs ago when a top notch computer had a 10GB hard drive...lol. Nobody even uses a seperate gate nowadays but i'll let you tell how important they are. =)

EDIT: you said that a vocoder and autotune were 2 different things... which they are but I was the one that quoted autotune uses a phase vocoder...go back and look again...lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
A gate basically cuts off a sound/file when it is below your set thresh hold. I barely use them, but I havent come across many that actually cant get it done. You just set the threshhold and the amount and walla, gate. Think about those 80's snare with the reverb that cuts off abruptly. Its mostly used to make reverb or static noise in a recording less obvious by cutting the noise off when the sound isnt happening.

A rhthmic gate does the same, but instead of a thresh hold, it works of of time (34ms) or a fraction of the tempo. Its how people do the quick stutter, like tremelo

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Lame, you claimed that you could use a parametric eq to make a gate and that gates cut out certain frequencies. Now you say sound=frequence lmao what a cop out. Second read the auto tune thread, I even said to ex that auto tune is a phase vocoder. Third gates are used all the time, for a high profile example check out the adrennalinn product.

4th hater!