Gating

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Lol... ARe you referring to gating as in having GATED synths like....

www.soundcloud.com/sucio-beats/synth-mania <--tasteless plug

or what these two numbskulls are arguing about?

BTW Pug is not as cool as people think.....He's just on anti's when he's online.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Thats side chain gating

no, mostly just plugged on insert. Not saying you cant side chain it but why ?! Maybe its a software thing, the way you route your gates in order to use eq ?! If so, check the ds-201 since it has lp/hp filtering :)

LBD is right but; "It's being gated!" should be "Theyre using a gate!" since most gates have a duck function ASWELL. I think he pretty much understands the difference between the two.

@ sucio; fekkin trancegates have nothing in common with these gates. That's for people to lazy to write a sequence lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
no, mostly just plugged on insert. Not saying you cant side chain it but why ?! Maybe its a software thing, the way you route your gates in order to use eq ?! If so, check the ds-201 since it has lp/hp filtering :)

LBD is right but; "It's being gated!" should be "Theyre using a gate!" since most gates have a duck function ASWELL. I think he pretty much understands the difference between the two.

@ sucio; fekkin trancegates have nothing in common with these gates. That's for people to lazy to write a sequence lol

The side chain is how the gate knows to Duck the material. Dont know how hardware does it but it may be a difference in terminologies

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
hahaha Sucio, the numskulls are debating what it's used for... it's an option that can be used anywhere, anytime, on any music, by anybody. When and where it's effectively used is really the option of the user and the opinion of others...(a endless debate).

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
The side chain is how the gate knows to Duck the material. Dont know how hardware does it but it may be a difference in terminologies

Yeah, i kinda figured you meant that since hardware gates have a key-input for triggering gate/duck. Seriously, check out the drawmer ds-201, thats a school example when it comes to gates (also the ones used on phill collins drums). Its not about terminology, but i have yet to see a software gate that lets me choose what source(software/physical) i can use for its key-in. I do think the hardware equivalent is faster than the software version, but like i said before, i rarely use a software gate.

Dac...its not a debate, its not endless. Its a gate and indeed, the most common usage is/was broadcast mics to duck the audio running in the background. I dont mind elaborating but if you think its wasted discussion please say so before the topic ends with "well, in the end its about making music! Who cares what ya using!".

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
no, no, no, you guys continue on with how important it is and where its important at...I'm enjoying this.

Went back and checked my replys and I never used the word "important" (not saying u were referring to me by the way). IMHO, if you're just a "beat maker" u could give 2 shitz about most processing period. If you produce and pre-engineer tracks for others demos you might want to get an understanding of diff't gear and vst plugins u can use to make someones material sound more polished.

I know a little about alot because I went to school for the engineering and business side of the music biz. I'll never claim to know it all and have the "Most Holy" answer of them all. In school we had to mic alot of drums and other live instruments so throwig a vst gate or routing to an out board noise gate was something you had to know and have and understanding of.

If anything I ever say or do around here "don't quite pan out" look past it and keep it moving. I won't be mad at ya...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
IMHO, if you're just a "beat maker" u could give 2 shitz about most processing period. If you produce and pre-engineer tracks for others demos you might want to get an understanding of diff't gear and vst plugins u can use to make someones material sound more polished.

I know a little about alot because I went to school for the engineering and business side of the music biz. I'll never claim to know it all and have the "Most Holy" answer of them all. In school we had to mic alot of drums and other live instruments so throwig a vst gate or routing to an out board noise gate was something you had to know and have and understanding of.

If anything I ever say or do around here "don't quite pan out" look past it and keep it moving. I won't be mad at ya...

I'm not even that, im autodidact for about 21 years now. Enough to know that there actualy isnt such a distinction between a beatmaker or a producer. IMHO, a beatmaker just never got himself to delve into the matter untill people point out their production has no delivery. I dont even make a distinction in genre, you know just aswell that the ethics, technique and gear for hiphop, techno or pop is all one and the same.

Not to sound derogatory on the beatmakers but i've always said that electronica producers (techno/trance/dnb etc) are far ahead opposed to the hiphop producers. Simply because there's no other way around it, knowing how to mix and process is elementary.

^^^ ofc, beatmakers are gangsta and electronica producers are commonly geeks :) but regardless, i dont understand why you wouldnt want to achieve the ability to make that perfect mix to bring out your productions.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Some just pass it on to the next man in the chain. Most people I know that make beats don't really care to learn the other 80% of the game. They track there shit out and let another engineer put that shine on it. Again, I'm only speaking from my experience.

members online