Gating

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
In reality it's noise! Noise from anything that you DON'T WANT ON A TRACK needs to be GATED OUT.

Example:1

Live session drummer with every drum piece mic'd being tracked seperately. All those diff't drum pieces are extremely close together and if you didn't set your gate to only let one pieces sound come through you can have 5 or more tracks (depending on how many pieces u have mic'd) with noise from the other pieces. When all that noise is combined u get a "muddy mix". You need every mic gated to keep one drum sound from bleeding into the other drums sounds. You would adjust the gates threshold to only let a particular drum pieces sound in therefore keeping other drum pieces NOISE out.

Example 2: Gating vocals. Notice that "most" accapellas are "clean" meaning no outside noise. No lip smacks, no swallowing sounds, no breath NOISE...etc etc. Gates need to be applied more times than you may think in order to have a really CLEAN (excessive noise) free mix.

All those diff't NOISES can clutter up a mix fast.

p.s. If you have a heavy base line and a heavy kick drum in a track, side chain gating is great way to let them both shine with out cuting back on the level or frequency of the other. With side chain gating you can set it so when the kick hits it basically mutes the the bass guitar for brief second and lets bass back in for the rest of the drum hits. It can give u a sick and distinctive mix where every thing occuppies it's own space.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
thedreampolice said:
Dac that is a vocoder
and actually a vocoder is very different from auto tune.

dacalion said:
Now go back and read what I said...here i'll copy it for you..."I think Roger Troutman invented that sound" I didn't say he invented "auto tune". You can explain how different they are but the ish sounds just about the same.

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Auto-Tune is a proprietary[2] audio processor created by Antares Audio Technologies. Auto-Tune uses a phase vocoder to correct pitch in vocal and instrumental performances.

thedreampolice said:
The BIG difference is a vocoder sounds cool

DJ Excellence said:
Actually vocoders were developed as early as 1928!!!
This clip is from 1944 and features the Talking steel guitar effect.

dacalion said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreampolice
The BIG difference is a vocoder sounds cool

Your Kung-Fu is weak Grasshopper!

@EX - I didn't mean it literally...hahahaha!

thedreampolice said:
Ex that is some crazy stuff!
Auto tune uses a Phase vocoder, it is a bit different
from a traditional vocoder.

Yes, you told Ex, but after I had schooled you, see how your "tune" "autochanged" from Dac that is a vocoder
and actually a vocoder is very different from auto tune

I'm telling you, your Kung-Fu needs some workouts!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
?! autotune is a tuner...it has nothing on vocoding since that process doesnt modulate any filters or synthesize anything of its carrier signal. The autotune effect comes up due to anomalies that arise on extreme setting in autotune. The pitch shifting algorhytmn used by antares gives the typical yet friggin annoying effect we call autotune but its purpose is NOT that effect. Its usage should smoothly pitch any signal without hearing those artifacts in the processed signal.

Pretty much all pitch shifting, timestretching or warping engine has these artifacts pop up on extreme settings. Aside from antares (which i obviously dont use) i find logic to have a very nice algorhytmn that allowes for higher % pitchshifting before hearing unwanted artifacts (nice for altering tempo on vinylbreaks :).

The gating is obvious by now, but i hardly use it for hiphop unless, for some reason, i use a lot of synth drums. For techno its a common tool to use on the drumbus, just to save a bit of headroom and tighten the percussion bits. Another common used example is letting the kick duck a bassline on the key input.
Anyway, a good gate is a fast one and im still rocking my ds-201's every now and then. The dbx166xl imo is also nice if on a budget...yeah and aside from software

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Anyway, a good gate is a fast one and im still rocking my ds-201's every now and then. The dbx166xl imo is also nice if on a budget...yeah and aside from software

Yep..basically what I was referring to. Not to mention Radio personalities live by it. When u hear the talk over music and the music "ducks" to allow for you to hear them it's not someone pulling the fader down. It's being gated! He should have clear picture of how and what it's used for now...lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
When u hear the talk over music and the music "ducks" to allow for you to hear them it's not someone pulling the fader down. It's being gated! He should have clear picture of how and what it's used for now...lol

Thats side chain gating

members online