How many beats a day?

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
eka said:
about a year ago I used to make 2-5 beats a day, but now I take my time for every beat I make and sometimes I can work a whole month on one beat. I think things through better and I'm not easely satisfied anymore.
I can make 4 or 5 patterns (beats) in one evening but only one or none will become a whole beat.

thats the ticket, nowadays I aint easily satisfied with beats, so alot of the things i do get deleted, im only keeping stuff that furthers my sound in the direction i wanna go in.

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
With me, it all depends on how much dedication a certain beat needs. If I'm makin a street, mix tapeish type track, I can make about 3 of those in a day with basic loops and a little flare to the hooks. Tracks that'd be good for the radio, I guess about 1 every 2 or 3 days, saving them, listening to them, and adding the necessary components.

I used to have the notion that the level of how good a beat maker I was dpeended on how many beats that I can make in a day so I'd get mad when I'd finish only 1.

What I do now (in Fruity Loops), is create 3 or 4 ideas one after the other. The next day I work on each a lil more. so and so on. By the end of the week, I should have like 3 or 4 good beats. I tend to get ideas from samples that don't work with the song I'm creating. I make note to use those samples in another song.

how many of you guys using Fruity use the project info or notebook to remind you of things you need to work on for the beat?

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea its interesting to see how people all work so differently. i mean its a process that everyone goes about differently. sometimes u can turn out a banger in an hour when everything seems to just fall into place, but then again i spend all night trying to get a beat to work and come out with nothing. its cool to see that everyone goes about shit in different ways tho.

lately ive been on pace with atleast two a day, concepts or ideas, not all of them get fleshed out into actual tracks, but i like to stay fresh and keep it moving. try to bang out as many ideas as i can and then if thye are workin i like to go back with a fresh ear and cpolish em up...

good topic tho.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
i only use it if i do a beat with another producer so he knows what i have done besides finding out himself.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well, i do a lot of rough drafts from time to time- basic melodies, drum lines, etc...

but i tend to lock into the ones that i see as having potential, and i change and alter and add and subtract and tweak everything for a while....

i dont get into the whole 'law of averages' deal. it doesnt really work out that way for me. i take what feels hot and play with it till i get the product i want.

i'd like to see some of these "keepers" that everyone makes 3 of every day. not calling anyone out, but i highly doubt that everyone who claims to have "3 or 4 bangers every day" is actually doing it...

i know big d is legit; the man works like a fiend and we get to hear his work on a regular basis.

i'd just like to hear some of these. i hope no one takes offense, gets mad, its nothing like that, no challenges, i just want to hear the overall quality of these tracks that are being made wholesale.

maybe its just me; maybe im not as talented as some of you, or whatever, maybe its because i dont sample at all, maybe thats why, maybe its because of the time i spend searching for the right sounds, the right drums, tweaking patterns to match each other, maybe its because i spend a lot of time mixing, i dont know, but for me its ludacris to even think of having 4 finished (completely composed, at that) beats in a day- especially when i have a full time job and a 45 minute commute each way.

i am assuming these are almost all sampled beats (save for big d) and if they arent, there isnt that much time spent mixing and shaping the overall sound...... because there is a lot more to my process. i dont settle for the first thing that comes up, and my beats go through continual re-shping from start to finish..... different mixes, different melodies, things like that... i got lucky and managed a completed track last weekend in roughly four hours, mixing and all, and thats an exception, not a rule.

all in all i think that whateevr your process is it just has to work for you. i just know my process is pretty time consuming, and getting anything done in mass quantities like that is beyond me.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
I personally find i can get more beats done if they are non sampled, mainly because i don't have to go digging thru records and then cut out the samples and mess about with them if its just basic melodies, for non sampled beats then yea i could get a few down in a day but personally i prefer to take more time !

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Well since i work and go to school i am lucky if i make 2 beats in a week.

But even if i was sitting at home doing nothing i only make 2 or 3 beats in a week. I think that people rush to much these days. For me, idea to finshed product takes 2 or 3 days. I will usually make a skeleton of a beat and listen to that for about a day or 2. Then i will go back and add some final changes. I cant see how anyone can make more than 2 QUALITITY beats a day.

There are cats with alot more beats then me but my 70 beats will beat there 500 beats anyday

class....

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Usually, I get about 3-5 beats a week done, it depends, like MarkN said, if they are sampled or not. The key is to do SOMOETHING everyday, you may not get a full beat, but you can lay down ideas to build on when you have time. This also helps that on the days you got time, you already got a foundation laid.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
I constantly am working on at least four. One may take 3 hours, another three months. Some ideas just come to fruition quicker. But I work on one for an hour, get tired head and move to another. Sometimes you just get that vibe of a great idea, focus in, and nail it in 2 hours. Those are usually the best ones, however, the 3 to 4 monthers are good because they are well thought out.

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
me personally i manage 4 beats a day easily, i quit my job to concentrate on beats cause i wasnt getting any beats done at all really while i was working, only one every few wekks, and i had to evaluate what was more important to me. they are sampled beats, i find sampled beats harder. i can make at least 8-10 sample free beats per day but i dont make them that much, only one every few beats.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Chedda said:
i quit my job to concentrate on beats cause i wasnt getting any beats done at all really while i was working, only one every few wekks, and i had to evaluate what was more important to me.

Yo, are you serious? I don't mean to pry, but that sounds pretty insane unless you got a sugar momma. I agree on the sample tip though. It takes me more time to mess with samples than to throw down a bassline or program drums.

Ctrl

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
In theory, I could do a beat per 1,5 hour, so that 8 beats a day when I am in Insomniac modus. But lets go on, that's 56 a week and if im a true insomniac that would make 20440 beat a year.

On of my favorite quotes regarding this BS subject.

So what's so special about this? I can dial through a few hundred patches on a dozen pieces of equipment in a matter of minutes by only touching the MPC track-/+ buttons with one hand and master controller keys/program change with the other hand. A great time saver arrangement when I have an idea on the top of my head and need to get it out. In an inspirational moment I can whack out and entire song in 15-20 minutes. This is probably why I don't have that much recorded. If you could blow snot out of your nose every half hour would you keep any of it?

get it....

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Holmzini said:
there is no correlation on the amount of time spent on a beat and the hottness of it.. hot beats are made in minutes and wack beats r made in months and vice versa

I was speaking for myself, thanks for weighing in. For me there is a correlation, and that is why I made that statement.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
In an inspirational moment I can whack out and entire song in 15-20 minutes.

i can do that, but only when im feeling the beat im making. if its all goin shit, and sounds like it will probably turn out weak, then i usually give up coz their aint no point.

sAfE.

members online