How many beats a day?

T

Terah

artist/beat maker/ producer/ ceo of Da fam ent.

I try to make 2 a day but they must but fire...
Most of the time it take me forever to get that sound I'm looking for....
But when I find it its on...

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
when it comes to just chopping samples, drus, and sequencing an entire beat, i never spend more than about 15 minutes - to an hour on the beat. Ill come back to it over the next couple days and eq and do little edits like drops and shit but thats it. its been that way for every beat ive ever made.. although it really doesnt matter how many beats a day you make, as long as the shit you do make is illness

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Well if he is recording a 100 tracks its not that there not good some may not be but its more about what kinda vibe he wants the album to have I think .

I try an start like 3 or 4 beats a day and when my mind blanks i just move on to another and go back and forth alot of times i dont even finish .

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its not about how many beats one can make a day. Its about how many beats a week, month, a year you have sold. How many cd booklets can you open up and see your name in the credits, how many songs do you have on the radio or on mix tapes. I think the how many beats one can make a day is the reason why some many people lack the skills they need to just make hot joints. I mean who are you racing. I myself take my time and get the track done right and they could take me a half an hour or 4 to 5 hours it all depend on the track and the work flow. I never put a set time limit or x amount of number of beats i want to make cause then you will get sloppy tring to make deadline that dont matter. i dont think it should take nobody a whole day to make one hip hop beat if your using the keyz...Maybe a lil different for samples im not sure but as far as keyz go if you cant make 1 or 2 beats a day then something could not be there. Some of yall can make 5 or 10 beats a day and have sold nada for the year 2004, so whats the point! I can make 2 or 3 a day and can i know i will sale about 5 of my beats at the end of the week for about 500 to 1000 plus dollars. Sometimes i might only make a beat when i with the artist so the vibe is there so alot of times i dont like ot make premade tracks.

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I used to make about 2 a day and maybe tighten up others that weren't finished. I work alot now so I'm happy if I can get 2 out in a weeks time.

AmmoBeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
when i have new sounds probably 2 or 3 a week but once i get tried of the sounds im lucky if i got 2 a month....(i need my own shit)

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it depends on what kind of beats u make tho. If your beats are like one sequence looped n times, then u can be cranking up 20 a day. If u however take your time, got choruses and shit, u may be lucky to finish one in a day. Then, it dont matter how many u make. What matters how hot they r. Whats the point of making 5 beats a day if they all wack?

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
yeah like brooklyn said if u make like 1 every week and it is hot , or make 5 a day and they are all wack, what would you rather do? id make the one beat a week. and anyway it doesnt matter how long a track takes, it takes however long it takes to finish, there is no set time to finish a beat.

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
i make about 3 aday when im able 2 make beats.. if im not recording or mixing down an artist... the most i made in a day was 15 but i was mad stanked up... and 13-15 were samples and it wasnt that long aday but if you smoke dirty you would understand where i was coming from.... i sold like 9 of them... the others i fukd up and neva recorded got 2 find that zip disk... but that day the lord blessed me wit the fruits of my labor and turned out hit sample after hit samples.. it was insane.. we would be like dammn this shit hot .. next... b4 i was 2 fukd up 2 continue i was at 15.. in 8 hours...

jus one of my experience dont recommend it 2 anyone... but when i zone i can get real insane on the mpc

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
dam 15! thats some shit. if you did that everyday then you would make 5040 beats per year! thats more than i think ill ever make in my life lol.

sAfE.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
My 2.5 Cents

Good post! :thumb:

Look, i'm with Truth\Rigor\Equality\Streetwize\Eka\others who think alike, on this one. 2-5 beats a day!?!? :eek:
i have like 1 beat done per 3-4 weeks... I C-A-N [however] imagine\understand how you make 2-3 beats a day (considering that you do not work etc'), but it's still crazy :confused:
I don't have a steady schedule - my timetable is constantly changing, but even if i had a constant schedule - 5 beats a day would not be possible (personally speaking).
It takes A GREAT WHILE to perfect each beat, and yo - i ain't makin' like 100 beats and then choosing whichever 10 are the best. I just modify\alter each beat until it's perfect by my measurements\standards.

haloDim, for example, has taken 8 months to complete; each beat has been carefully reworked and revised...

Truth, it's not a matter of more\less talent - it's just the way people work. Each to his own = Each got his own personal tempo. Each and every one of us has his own creative process.
It's just that ours happen to take longer...
By the way, no disrespect or anything, but it is usually quite easy to tell how long it took the producer to create a certain beat :yes:
There are exceptions though - as with everything else...

Best Wishes,
Wings

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
WingsOfAnAngel said:
Good post! :thumb:

Look, i'm with Truth\Rigor\Equality\Streetwize\Eka\others who think alike, on this one. 2-5 beats a day!?!? :eek:
i have like 1 beat done per 3-4 weeks... I C-A-N [however] imagine\understand how you make 2-3 beats a day (considering that you do not work etc'), but it's still crazy :confused:
I don't have a steady schedule - my timetable is constantly changing, but even if i had a constant schedule - 5 beats a day would not be possible (personally speaking).
It takes A GREAT WHILE to perfect each beat, and yo - i ain't makin' like 100 beats and then choosing whichever 10 are the best. I just modify\alter each beat until it's perfect by my measurements\standards.

haloDim, for example, has taken 8 months to complete; each beat has been carefully reworked and revised...

Truth, it's not a matter of more\less talent - it's just the way people work. Each to his own = Each got his own personal tempo. Each and every one of us has his own creative process.
It's just that ours happen to take longer...
By the way, no disrespect or anything, but it is usually quite easy to tell how long it took the producer to create a certain beat :yes:
There are exceptions though - as with everything else...

Best Wishes,
Wings

man i dont think its too good if your only makin one a week or somethin... its gonna take you a while to progress.

if you slave over 1 beat for a week and it wasnt very good in the first place you have wasted you time. i think its best to just bang out ideas all the time and make quick dope tracks, instead of picking at little features which people may not even realise.

a 'perfect' beat is not necessarily a good beat.

sAfE.

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
agreed, dope ideas be flowing through your mind constantly, you just gotta catch those different ideas everytime you hear one and put it down. think about if you spend a week on 1 beat, how many dope ideas you losing out on...

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
hahahahaha,
i think you dont understand wings point.. of course he is not going to be working on a wack beat for a week, at first there is a freestyle brainstorm beatsketch, the first one could be dope directly, if it isnt it will be thrown away untill the right beatsketch pops up, that sketch that is still a raw diamond will meet the smithies hand to be perfected as long as it takes.. lets be real no one is going to perfect something he thinks is wack and no potential.. certainly not for a week.
with me it differs i can finish a beat (not talking a loop) in an hour but if it is necessary i will spend as much as it needs to make it evolve to the ends i see it fit ( call it perfection or near perfection, at least satisfaction).

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
RigorMortis said:
hahahahaha,
i think you dont understand wings point.. of course he is not going to be working on a wack beat for a week, at first there is a freestyle brainstorm beatsketch, the first one could be dope directly, if it isnt it will be thrown away untill the right beatsketch pops up, that sketch that is still a raw diamond will meet the smithies hand to be perfected as long as it takes.. lets be real no one is going to perfect something he thinks is wack and no potential.. certainly not for a week.
with me it differs i can finish a beat (not talking a loop) in an hour but if it is necessary i will spend as much as it needs to make it evolve to the ends i see it fit ( call it perfection or near perfection, at least satisfaction).

VERY well put rigor.

i find it amusing that people assume that just because you worked on it for so long, then that means that it was somehow "wack" or "weak" to begin with.

doing one beat a week doesnt mean that it will "take a long time to progress", case in point, my own EP. i have worked on roughly the same 10 tracks for the last 2 months or so, getting feedback, making revisions, fine tuning the overall track, and yes, while the orginal idea is still what prevailed, these tracks sound INFINITELY better than the first sketch i did of them. oh, i have done several beats outside of those- i have so many half completed tracks, or beats that are still in their very first incarnation that were done in 20 minutes while on the phone with my girl...

thing is, i leave my house at around 8 am every day and usually dont get back in until 6-7..... i have a girlfriend, plus i got to eat and shower and sleep, and yup i need downtime too...

the other thing people dont realize, if you are really producing, PRODUCING, making complete songs, and using VST instruments in a software sequencer, there is another process- you have to render all your midi tracks into audio tracks for mixing/effects/eq, and if you use enough tracks and effects to shape your sound.... you got to eq

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
i do maybe 1-2 a week...only cuz once a start one....i gotta finish it or at least make it a song

EQing takes time....certain days u hear certain things....that's what takes the longest....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
doing one beat a week doesnt mean that it will "take a long time to progress", case in point, my own EP. i have worked on roughly the same 10 tracks for the last 2 months or so, getting feedback, making revisions, fine tuning the overall track, and yes, while the orginal idea is still what prevailed, these tracks sound INFINITELY better than the first sketch i did of them. oh, i have done several beats outside of those- i have so many half completed tracks, or beats that are still in their very first incarnation that were done in 20 minutes while on the phone with my girl...

i see what your sayin man, but i just dont have the patience to only work on one per week. i make a few a week, but im always going back to beats and altering them slightly.

at the end of the day, you could make 10 beats a day or 1 a month, its all about how good they sound.

sAfE.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
5 beats a day for 3 summers equals NO puss for 3 summers. He probably never left the house!!
I stick to my motto dawg, "One beat a day" and I'm pretty good at maintaining that work ethic unless I'm too tired from playin ball or just don't wanna make a damn beat!

But I must say that i NEVER ever make a beat on Friday, that day is reserved for weekend alcoholism and the degradation of the female gender!

R

rah.soul

i'll be lucky if a pull two or three out a week, i've got a shitload of shells though, beats i've started but haven't been able to develope due to lack of sample develope ment and my overall hate for rediculous chopping of a sample in order to make it frehs. shit must flow.

members online