Mixcraft vs. Pro Tools

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Get an SM 57 or 58. They're the studio standard and you can pretty much record anything with them. It all depends on what you're going to be recording though.

H

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
The thing is those mics are all dynamic....dynamic mics are for live production. I am recording vocals so wouldnt a condenser mic be a better choice?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
No dynamic mica are not only for live product in fact all of Michael jacksons vocals on thriller where done on an sm7, (note this is different from an sm57) I literraly have access to any mic I want an I go to those as my default for hip hop emcee male vocals. Dynamic mica handle high spl and have better proxy effect than a condenser. Making them perfect for hip hop, once in a while I find an emcee sounds better on a condenser but 9 out of 10 times dynamic is the way to go. Female randb vocals is a totally different story. As always YMMV.

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Electro-Voice Blue Raven Cardioid Dynamic Microphone

SM57 Instrument Microphone

Electro-Voice PL24 Dynamic Supercardioid Microphone

Do a background check on these and tell me which sounds like the best verdict in terms of specs.

blakjustice30

ill o.g.
People think Pro Tools is the end all be all program and it's not, make music with what you are comfortable with. As was said above, it's good to learn protools just in case you may need it for recreating or tracking PT files, but it does not have to be the like a task. I use FL to make music, export to Sonar 6 Producers Edition x64 bit and you can't tell what I recorded on. People always ask me what I use as if I go to some big studio to record or lay tracks, and they are almost taken aback when I say FL and Sonar 6. It's almost like I cursed or something. I just use what I like. If it ain't broke, keep working until it breaks.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Even if dude did share his tracks all thats going to show is his personal engineering skills....it dont mean squat in regards to the software he's using. So technically he really could use whatever software works best for him and render the same, if not better results then something made in ProTools, all your comparing really is engineering chops.

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Ya I agree, not just engineering chops, but producing chops. FL ships with some songs produced by 'name' producers, and I must admit, some of that shit sounds good, even though they're more techno-type tracks. Once you get some vocals and effects on it's really hard to tell where it was made.

H

Prince Kay

ill o.g.
Just read the whole thread... That helped me a lot :) I'm also using Mixcraft and i think tomorrow its gonna run out... :'( hahahahaha... For me i have never been able to Record inside Fruity Loops for some reason so i don't use it for that even tho i got it... I've used Adobe Audition and Cool Edit Pro and it seems like they basically the same but suck ass... What i liked is how you could add individual "Delays, Chorus effects, blah blah" Much easier... for example if you have a rap song you could easily put the last word on a delay while using Mixcraft you gonna have to cut the word out... Move it to a new channel and then add a channel effect which really sucks... :)

blakjustice30 post a link, lets hear em :)

Damnit... He is really sick... What you gotta do is left-click on his name and say go to home page... he got like 10 tracks for you to listen to

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Here's the thing.....You wanna make beats for artists, maybe even go mainstream or heavy on underground...

Would you rather come to the studio with tracks made in any DAW then have to render all of the bounced tracks into protools? Or bring PT SESSIONS to the studio with the beats already tracked out?

#1. it saves time...and the more time you have, the more money you could make.

#2. the artist(s) will see that you've taken the step to being professional about your music....

Why wouldn't you want something that the industry status quo?

Now for making beats? That's a different story...I use VST for my PT if I wanted to make a beat in there...

I wouldn't recommend making beats in PT....But you can make some tough beats in it, but that's with any form of music production hardware/software........but that's basically knowing the program.....