Modern Day Sample Clearing

Hey guys, new here. Just picked up an SP404 and have been looking for a producer community. Lucky to have come across you guys.

Anyway, I'm very interested as to how people are getting their samples cleared these days as it seems that there is a re-emergence of the art. I'm very much intrigued by some of these new crews, particularly Griselda records (Benny, Westside Gunn, Daringer, Conway). These dudes are pumping out full albums and mixtapes that are all sample based and it's really flooring me how they are getting away with it. Back in the early 2000's these guys would have been paying an arm and a leg to get these records cleared and published on a label.

So I guess my question is: is there a new method of clearing samples that I'm unaware of? Are there prepaid "cleared" sample pools out there now-a-days?

I know there are services like Splice that follow this model with their own unique sounds and samples, but are there other services out there that allow you to find old music that has already been 'pre-cleared' and people just pay a flat rate to subscribe? If there isn't something out there like that yet, I sure hope someone takes the idea and runs with it. But I'm just super curious how these people are sampling music and releasing on major labels without losing money or getting the samples cleared.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've written about this many times, for example:

My recommendation is if you're just making beats for fun, don't worry about clearance, there's no point of course. However, if you plan on selling beats or working with artists, then it's an issue.

What I tend to do is chop and tweak my samples a lot and sometimes add VST sounds on top. This way it's pretty much impossible to recognize.

There's Splice and there's another one or two new sites that do that. I can't remember off the top. I'm sure someone will post it.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy