Nas vs. Wordsmith ????

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Question? Who's idea was it to hash this out on the net? From the responses I'm reading it's not fairing to well for you guys. I think you should have taken my advice and called Def Jam or sent the certified letter. You should have kept it on the low until you tried to handle it in a more professional manner. If you didn't get a response then kick up a little internet dust. No matter how hard Wordsmith trys to make this a "non hating on Nas situation" with all the negative MF's online it's bound to head in that direction and it seems like it is. HipHopDX loves drama....no way in hell I would have taken the argument there. This shit is spreading like wild fire on the net. I just read somewhere that there's even another version of a similar song that was put out by AMG called "around the world" released over 10 years ago on his album "Ballin' outta control". I'm trying to locate the track so I can check it out.

I don't think the internet debate was a good move. Nas is too respected in hip hop and some are taking it as a personal attack on his character. Hope it doesn't get ugly!

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
here is the AMG song.....put out 10 years ago

https://www.illmuzik.com/vip/viceverse_amgaroundtheworld.m3u

after listening to all three beats, Nobody really "copied" anyone. The original melody of the sample was used(which was that three chord progression) regardless of the little piano chops all three beats used. If anything, I say this is just a coincidence nothing more, nothing less. After hearing all three songs though, I do like AMG's the best.....lol..... Overall, I hope this whole thing gets Wordsmith some more spins and hopefully Nas doesn't Ether him.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Good looking out Vice..I've been searching for AMG's joint.

here is the AMG song.....put out 10 years ago

https://www.illmuzik.com/vip/viceverse_amgaroundtheworld.m3u

after listening to all three beats, Nobody really "copied" anyone. The original melody of the sample was used(which was that three chord progression) regardless of the little piano chops all three beats used. If anything, I say this is just a coincidence nothing more, nothing less. After hearing all three songs though, I do like AMG's the best.....lol..... Overall, I hope this whole thing gets Wordsmith some more spins and hopefully Nas doesn't Ether him.

lol....that's westcoast love eh Vice? lmbao I'm with you....this can make a new artist or erase a new artist! If it turns ugly I hope Wordsmith is lyrical enough to go round for round. whether he wants to or not he may have to defend himself lyrically. In this day and age of "who's beefin' with who" it could easily bring out the gooniez!

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Good looking out Vice..I've been searching for AMG's joint.

lol....that's westcoast love eh Vice? lmbao I'm with you....this can make a new artist or erase a new artist! If it turns ugly I hope Wordsmith is lyrical enough to go round for round. whether he wants to or not he may have to defend himself lyrically. In this day and age of "who's beefin' with who" it could easily bring out the gooniez!

Gotta stick with the west..lol.... Nah, for real outta the three, I like AMG's overall given the era and style....but I like the content of WordSmith. Nas came kinda boring on his....IMO. I don't feel that wordsmith can hang with nas when it comes down to it though, so I'll be prayin for him Stra...lol.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Gotta stick with the west..lol.... Nah, for real outta the three, I like AMG's overall given the era and style....but I like the content of WordSmith. Nas came kinda boring on his....IMO. I don't feel that wordsmith can hang with nas when it comes down to it though, so I'll be prayin for him Stra...lol.

Yea, I just think the internet campaign, whether it was started by Wordsmith or not was a bad move. He should have tried to get at Nas and his people directly if at all. Nas might have remixed the joint and got Wordsmith on the second verse or something. I think we'll see something on utube from Nas in the very near future.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Yea, I just think the internet campaign, whether it was started by Wordsmith or not was a bad move. He should have tried to get at Nas and his people directly if at all. Nas might have remixed the joint and got Wordsmith on the second verse or something. I think we'll see something on utube from Nas in the very near future.

Cosign......

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok I wanna tell you this, I have heard this same sample used a long time ago, I am digging to find out who used it, but its old old skool to start off, now, on my observations the two are very close, the piano riff part you chopped is possibly either truncated or a different part of the phrase....The one on the Nas track sounds like the original riff unchopped.

Ok here is the other thing, it would not be Nas Fault, he just picked the track, it might be whoever produced it and let it get on the album, heard the version you did and did as we all fear another dope producer strapped for ideas does when we come up with dope shit....he found the record and went to work, but based upon sampling registrations and copyrights the flip is slightly different, nothing says you can't use the same sample it sorta follow the same rules as a remix when it comes down to flipping.....so I wish you luck if you plan on litigating this, it might be completely not worth the time....all in all Stra I feel for you and Wordsmith because he is a very dope emcee man and you just as gifted with the production skillz.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i disagree with vice and drama

i cant be a bad look for wordsmith .... he really wasnt on the radar before and he getting some attention now .. and listens, and some people obviously are feelin the wordsmith track .. no negatives so far that i see. Yeah there are some ignorant cats on hip hop dx hating but if u check that site regulary they hate on EVERYTHING so thats no big suprise. Bototom line dude is grabbing some attention and winning some new fans that he otherwise wouldnt have gotten.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Not sure what you're disagreeing with? Neither me nor Vice are bashing Wordsmith. I guess time will tell as far as how this all plays out. I wish he and Stra the best but anyone can see how this can easily be spun in a direction that doesn't favor the unsigned artist.

It really depends on how Nas and his people take it. I still stand by my statement that they should have tried to speak to Nas directly, even though it's already bubbling on the net, they should attempt to speak to the man himself. That's the only way to get to the bottom of this IMO.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Ok....I c. I'll say this. If Wordsmith has a strong enough presence (in the real world and on the net) with the necessary push and financial backing to match, not to mention some follow up bangers, he'll surely be in a good position to take full advantage of this no matter how it developes. He can't let this buzz, negative of positive, die down before he makes his move. His album or single release date may need to be adjusted don't you think?

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
i agree with you both there.....and Ash, don't ever disagree with me again...lol...j/k. I like wordsmith, and I really think dude has got some potential, I even liked what he had to say on his version the best. I feel, like it's already been said, that dude just needs to be careful in his next steps of this process. It will either make, or break him. Did he say on his single he's puttin out of the song, that it's to another beat with no samples or did i read that wrong?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Wordsmith Retracts Statement About Stolen Nas Track

LOOKS LIKE IT TOOK A TURN FOR THE WORSE!

I had a feeling this would happen! I guess this is the update that Stra was speaking of. Calling "Nas" out was not the thing to do. Webber, the producer should have been called out if anyone. Nas is just to well respected to even go at on that "stolen concept" tip. Brinkley shut that remix idea down with the quickness. This probably would have went better if this was done offline! I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sick the sample clearance Police on Stra now. Yank that shit offline and anywhere else Stra....like yesterday ya dig!

Wordsmith Retracts Statement About Stolen Nas Track
October 11th, 2007 | Author: Jake PaineEarlier this week, allegations surfaced that Nas’ latest track, “Surviving The Game” was conceptually and musically “lifted” from self-proclaimed underground Baltimore rapper Wordsmith’s track “As the Art Fades Away.”
Through statements made online, including to HipHopDX, Wordsmith claimed to have recorded and posted his track, via Myspace, in late 2006. The song, produced by Montreal beat-maker Strada, featured an uncleared sample from the 1978 Motown soundtrack of The Wiz, “What Would I Do?” by late entertainer Nipsey Russell. Nas’ “Surviving The Times” will be a new song included on his upcoming Greatest Hits collection. The track was produced by former NBA star Chris Webber, who had worked with Nas previously.
Thursday evening, HipHopDX held a conference call including Wordsmith, Strada and Nas’ A&R Mike Brinkley to discuss the matter. “I saw a headline that said Nas stole something from another emcee, which is a harsh allegation to put out there. I want to get to the facts,” began Brinkley, in the calm discussion between the two parties.
Wordsmith’s argument stemmed from the fact that he had knowledge of Chris Webber’s awareness of his track. “[Chris] does know my music and has heard my track, as far back as May,” said Wordsmith, with a mutual friend of his and Webber’s, confirming this. Brinkley stated that the track, as it was produced, was something drawn upon by Nas, “Nas is a movie-head. We were talking about [The Wiz], and it came in from there.”
Discrepancies between the two parties furthered, as both agreed that both versions of the song rely heavily on the original sample, not added arrangements. Wordsmith still maintained, “When a producer produces a track, it’s hard for me to believe it would be the exact same way my producer produced it. You’re gonna flip it another way, that’s why it’s a sample. It wasn’t flipped any other way.” Brinkley’s comment was that since the sample was not cleared by Wordsmith, he was unjust in claiming stolen music or ideas. As Nas’ A&R, and a fan of music, Brinkley added that the same record had been sampled before. “What Would I Do?” has indeed been sampled and interpolated to the likes of Jean Grae and others.
The conference took an interesting turn when Wordsmith pitched the idea of a unifying remix collaboration between himself and Nas. Brinkley immediately waved off the idea, interrupting, “Nah, that’s not gonna happen,” before adding, “To me, this seems like some kind of a publicity stunt.”
Ultimately, Wordsmith agreed to retract his statement, which he adds was a headline, not his initial words, about Nas’ stealing. “I will definitely retract the statement; I have no problem doing it. I want peace in this issue,” said the emcee, who stated that he will be touring with G-Unit in November. “I am a huge Nas fan, and I will continue to support Nas. This was not a publicity stunt. I’d rather do it own my own; I’ve been working hard on my own without using this situation,” he added, before turning to the fans for the ultimate word. He closed in saying, “Let the people say whatever they’re going to say when they read this story. Either they’ll be like, ‘Words, you’re a fake; you did a publicity stunt.’ I accept that. I’m a man. I know why I made a statement. Everybody gotta deal with controversy. I accept whatever comes to me.”
Prior to the conference call, Wordsmith admitted that he and Strada had redone “As the Art Fades Away” without the sample, which will be made available for digital download on December 1st.