Reason 5

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Ohhh, I know how to do that....thats not what I was referring to though. Maybe I stated my question funny. What I was wondering is if its possible to have (2) separate midi controllers strictly assigned to their own modules, ie. Pad Controller to Kong, Keyboard to NNXT. I coulda swore that all midi controllers only worked globally depending on what module is selected so it doesnt matter if you specifically assign a controller to a particular module or not?

tekboi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
its no secret that the majority of the refills out on the market are paper weights in sound quality.

It's NO Secret? Really now?

Well, it is to me because i've never heard such bullshit. And what are the differences in sound quality of refills compared to vsts exactly? I'm dying to know.

I have plenty of friends who are sound engineers and i'm sure they would disagree with you.

S

sobepmp

I finally figured out how to get my favorite VST sounds into Reason's NN-XT (my fav module) Oh Boy New Inspiration!!!!!!
How do you do that? I wish I could use some of my VST sounds in Reason!

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It's NO Secret? Really now?

Well, it is to me because i've never heard such bullshit. And what are the differences in sound quality of refills compared to vsts exactly? I'm dying to know.

I have plenty of friends who are sound engineers and i'm sure they would disagree with you.

Dang homie be easy just my personal opinion. I'm not a refill dude at all I don't like the refills I've heard and I came over from VST's like Omnisphere, Nexus and Eastwest stuff that have larger sound libraries and to me sound better. I have my library setup for my Reason rig and 80% of it are VST patches from different plugins I like and I use them as my starting point to build on to make new sounds. I can say my library sounds better than any collection of refills I heard I do know there are a few refills like the Xsynth collection that are high quality but as a whole there is alot of below average stuff out there in the refill world. I deal with various engineers and reason users daily and we talk about it all the time so I took those conversations and ideas and found a way to incorporate the sounds I wanted into what has become my favorite software to use. So every has there own way of working with reason and this is just my voice on the refills.

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
How do you do that? I wish I could use some of my VST sounds in Reason!

I'll put this out there for everybody to chime in on. Some people may know this some may not either I hope this helps out.

How to get your favorite VST sounds into Reason?

I use a program called "extreme sample converter" and it allows you to convert sample libraries to different formats as well as sample and VST or Hardware keyboard.

So for the longest I've wanted to do this because lets face Reason is the most powerful music production software program on the market and also the most stable.
So here are some steps I take when I'm sampling VST patches

#1-Load up Extreme Sample Converter and in my case I load one of my favorite VST's "Nexus 2"

#2-Set up the keyboard range you want to sample and velocity layers. For drums kits I do full velocity and for Synths & Keyboard sounds I do 4 velocity layers

#3-Setup up your hold & release options. I usually sample 6 secs for both

#4-The easiest step.Name the patch and begin to sample. The larger the file size the longer the time it takes to sample. Usually some were between 4-5 minutes per patch.

#5-Select what type of format you want your sample vst patch to be saved in. I save mines to soundfont files and load the patch into the NN-XT and its automatic with the mapping and depending on the sound you make have to layer it once for a bigger sound and I always adjust the release for specific sound. Make sure you play around with poly

I decided to do this because I was tired going thru all of the plugins and I wanted to #1 make reason & record my complete production setup no more cubase no more fl studio. Everything I've sampled sounds exactly like the original vst plugin and I believe you can do more with that sound than just running the vst in a seperate daw. Thats what I love about reason you can really crank out your own sounds but I wanted to start with some really great sounds and sounds I'm familiar with helps to move things along when I'm trying to come up with a something new in the combinator.

So if anyone needs any help and wants to demo some of the stuff Ive sampled I'd be happy to send you over a few of my soundfont kits and you can check them out. I have a dropbox account so PM a email address and I'll send you an invite to my folder and we can network and swaps different sounds for reason.

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just like there is allot of below average VST plugins. Point is you can get refills that sound just as good as east west, spectra-sonics.

If you are on a mac I love autosampler for doing what you describe.

Yea if I was on Mac Autosampler is the joint but I love my PC's so Extreme Sample Converter is awesome!

As far as the refill comment. Name some of those refills your referring?

tekboi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Wow, on R5 assigning the drum machine to korg is simple as hell. Right click and lock the device to the korg. It might have been as easy on 4. I'm not sure.

tekboi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
^^ Most people don't realize that there are equivalent refills to their favorite VST. I like to looks at reason as the Macintosh of DAWs. It may be a bit "closed off". But, it's more stable and and clean. Which is why most of us are on Macs in the first place right?

But that's just my view on it.

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Check out bit words refills

http://www.bitword.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=4e8c07c02ffa51cfb40a20f4819efd4c

Check out the nucleus soundlab refills

http://www.nucleus-soundlab.com/

and of course the props abbey road and reason bass refills are amazing for just a few examples.

Yea checked out those refills but honestly there not even close to the vst's I have in my library. Not saying there horrible but just not to my liking. I'll keep sampling away and converting over my patches. I know everybody is getting on me but seriously dudes there is nothing even remotely close to Omnisphere.Im cool with just sampling yall keep those refills lol

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Whatever man, Omnisphere does rock, but bit word is right up there with Evolve and I actually own all the plugins discussed.

At this point you need to get better speakers or quite just trying to win a discussion. There are MANY MANY songs in the top 10 that use Reason refills.

Did you listen to the Pantheon demos? Pantheon easily rivals Omnisphere. And I have used both extensive. Hell I used Omnisphere before it was officially announced.

I mean its all good if your personal preference is Omni, but you come across like Refills sound bad and they don't. They sound easily just as good as the finest VST plugins (except maybe VSL)

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Whatever man, Omnisphere does rock, but bit word is right up there with Evolve and I actually own all the plugins discussed.

At this point you need to get better speakers or quite just trying to win a discussion. There are MANY MANY songs in the top 10 that use Reason refills.

Did you listen to the Pantheon demos? Pantheon easily rivals Omnisphere. And I have used both extensive. Hell I used Omnisphere before it was officially announced.

I mean its all good if your personal preference is Omni, but you come across like Refills sound bad and they don't. They sound easily just as good as the finest VST plugins (except maybe VSL)

Ha what a joke! First I'm using some of the best speakers on the market BlueSky Sat 6.5 system w/ subwoofer Secondly Pantheon is cool but you can't be serious by trying to say it rivals Omnisphere. Outside of Omni I believe I have a really good collection of vst sounds so ill stick with sampling the sounds I like and build up from there. Not saying every single refill is wack and every single vst is outstanding but i have my taste and you have yours I didnt mention the low grade vst's and dont use those but if what your saying is t 100% then why has there been such a debate about reason supporting vst's and it continues to be one of the most popular feature request. The high quality vst's were talking about have large libraries of samples were in alot the refills your talking about dont and there small in size. I love the fact that we can have a debate about sounds and it helps to here other peoples opinion. Ive started to explore refills more and plan on using those sounds with my patches from the VST One thing we all can agree on is that reason 5 is a super deep program and im loving the new additions

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
First I'm using some of the best speakers on the market BlueSky Sat 6.5 system w/ subwoofer

LMAO, umm nope

but its all good man. Anyone who wants VST in Reason does not know how to use Reason period.

Refills are generally smaller because they use the sytnhs in Reason to recreate the sounds. Instead of samples. List to ALL the Pantheon demos and tell me that's not just as good as omni. Like they say just because they are bigger does not make them better.

oh and BTW REASON WAS USED TO CREATE OMNI! Look it up specifically the Maelstrom syth was used to build quite a few of the omni patches and of course a slew of other hardware/software instruments.

So if Reason is good enough to make some omni patches I would say by your own logic it sounds pretty damn good.

members online