Off Topic Should Rappers Write Their Own Lyrics?

• warzone round 2 voting begins in...
ll-cool-j-1985-hp-e1395864401835.jpg

It's a never-ending debate as to whether or not rappers should write their own lyrics or have them done by a ghost writer.

Ice Cube was quoted recently with saying, "As far as emceeing and being a rapper, you should write your own stuff.”

In other genres of music, it's common practice to have a songwriter write for the artist and it's widely accepted, of course. The issue is with Rap music. Rappers are expected to write their own lyrics and if they don't, they get clowned.

But is that right? I think so.

Ghostwriting In All Its Glory

Now don't get me wrong - I completely understand if a rapper gets someone else to help them with their lyrics, but to write the whole thing? Nope. This is because Rap music is based upon rappers that are speaking their minds and telling the listener what his/her life is like - the struggles, hardships, and also the fun times. So how can someone else just walk into a room and hand said rapper some lyrics? "Here are your lyrics, sir. It's about how hard you had it growing up in the hood".

WTF?

It's different with music production. If I'm working on a beat and another beatmaker or producer tells me I should change this or that, it's actually welcomed criticism because it will only enhance my beat. The same can't be said for Rap lyrics. How can someone write lyrics for a rapper and tell that rapper's story? Unless it's just regular stale lyrics like:

"I got enemies, got a lotta enemies
Got a lotta people tryna drain me of my energy
They tryna take the wave from a nigga
Fuckin' with the kid and pray for your nigga"

- Drake "Energy"

Straight up garbage like that can be written by anyone. This is why there's been all sorts of drama lately between Drake and Meek Mill, where Meek called out Drake, saying he didn't write his own lyrics:

As you can see, this is a perfect example of how people react to a rapper not writing his own lyrics (not that I consider Drake "Hip Hop" anyway, but that's a whole other issue).

It's All About Staying True

I was going to quote a Rap song from years ago to show the difference in style of lyrics from then until now but it's not about that (plus I don't know if those lyrics were ghost written either). Back in the day I'm sure there were plenty of rappers that had their lyrics written for them as well but we didn't hear about it like we do today with social media.

From a record label's point of view, I understand. They want a song to be recorded and they don't care how it gets done, just as long as it sounds great and can sell and go viral. So if that means that there needs to be 10 producers and 20 ghostwriters, then so be it.

However, from the point of view of a Hip Hop fan - hell no! How weird would it be if you saw a rapper freestlying in a cypher and it's lyrics that someone else wrote? It's like if there's a cypher and everyone's reciting lyrics to popular songs. Makes no sense.

And that ain't Hip Hop. What do you think?

Last edited:

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
View attachment 3935

It's a never-ending debate as to whether or not rappers should write their own lyrics or have them done by a ghost writer.

Ice Cube was quoted recently with saying, "As far as emceeing and being a rapper, you should write your own stuff.”

In other genres of music, it's common practice to have a songwriter write for the artist and it's widely accepted, of course. The issue is with Rap music. Rappers are expected to write their own lyrics and if they don't, they get clowned.

But is that right? I think so.

Ghostwriting In All Its Glory

Now don't get me wrong - I completely understand if a rapper gets someone else to help them with their lyrics, but to write the whole thing? Nope. This is because Rap music is based upon rappers that are speaking their minds and telling the listener what his/her life is like - the struggles, hardships, and also the fun times. So how can someone else just walk into a room and hand said rapper some lyrics? "Here are your lyrics, sir. It's about how hard you had it growing up in the hood".

WTF?

It's different with music production. If I'm working on a beat and another beatmaker or producer tells me I should change this or that, it's actually welcomed criticism because it will only enhance my beat. The same can't be said for Rap lyrics. How can someone write lyrics for a rapper and tell that rapper's story? Unless it's just regular stale lyrics like:

- Drake "Energy"

Straight up garbage like that can be written by anyone. This is why there's been all sorts of drama lately between Drake and Meek Mill, where Meek called out Drake, saying he didn't write his own lyrics:

As you can see, this is a perfect example of how people react to a rapper not writing his own lyrics (not that I consider Drake "Hip Hop" anyway, but that's a whole other issue).

It's All About Staying True

I was going to quote a Rap song from years ago to show the difference in style of lyrics from then until now but it's not about that (plus I don't know if those lyrics were ghost written either). Back in the day I'm sure there were plenty of rappers that had their lyrics written for them as well but we didn't hear about it like we do today with social media.

From a record label's point of view, I understand. They want a song to be recorded and they don't care how it gets done, just as long as it sounds great and can sell and go viral. So if that means that there needs to be 10 producers and 20 ghostwriters, then so be it.

However, from the point of view of a Hip Hop fan - hell no! How weird would it be if you saw a rapper freestlying in a cypher and it's lyrics that someone else wrote? It's like if there's a cypher and everyone's reciting lyrics to popular songs. Makes no sense.

And that ain't Hip Hop. What do you think?

I think this is not a yes or no question. Royce da 5'9" did some ghostwriting for Dr. Dre's 2001. Jay-Z wrote or helped to write Dre's verse for Still D.R.E.
Is the album 2001 not hip hop because of that?
Does that make Dr. Dre a fake rapper?

He is more skilled as producer than as a rapper. So I think in order to create the best music it is okay in his position to get (some) help.

I think Organized Noize wrote a lot of the hooks for Outkast's songs.

Does that make Big Boy and André less hip hop?

I am not saying it is okay for MC's to get their lyrics written either. Just that there are shades of gray.

Beyonces "Run the World" was written by Terius "The-Dream" Nash, Beyoncé, Nick van de Wall, Thomas Wesley Pentz, Dave Taylor, and Adidja Palmer..

The lyrics...

Girls, we run this mother (yeah)
Girls, we run this mother
Girls

Chores:
Who run the world? Girls (x4)
Who run this mother? Girls (x4)

Verse 1:
Some of them men
Think they freak this like we do
But no they don't.

Make your cheque come at they neck.

Disrespect us, no they won't.
Boy, don't even try to touch me.
Boy, this beat is crazy!
This is how they made me.
Houston, Texas baby.
This goes out to all my girls
That's in the club rocking the latest.

Who would buy it for themselves and get more money later.

I think I need a barber(barber).

None of these bitches can fade me (fade me).

I'm so good with this

I remind you I'm so hood with this.

Boy I'm just playing.
Come here baby.

Hope you still like me
F you pay me.

My persuasion can build a nation.
Endless power our love we can devour.
You'll do anything for me.

Chores:
Who run the world? Girls Girls
Who run the world? Girls (Girls)

-----
Verse 2:
It's hot up in here dj
Don't be scared to run this run this back.

I'm repping for the girls that's
Taking over the world
Help me raise a glass for the college grads.
Forty-one roll and to let you know what time it is, cheque!
You can't hold me!
I work my nine to five, better cut my check!
This goes out to all the women
Getting it in you on your grind.

To other men that respect
What I do please accept my shine.

Boy you know you love it
How we smart enough to make these millions.

Strong enough to bear the children
Then get back to bidness.

See, you better not play me
Oh come here baby.

Hope you still like me
F you pay me.

Chores:

Verse 3 (Ending):

Who are we
What we run
The world (x2)

Who are we
What do we run
We run the world

Who are we
What we run
We run the world

Who run the world? Girls!

Kane the MOD

Beyonces "Run the World" was written by Terius "The-Dream" Nash, Beyoncé, Nick van de Wall, Thomas Wesley Pentz, Dave Taylor, and Adidja Palmer..

The lyrics...

Girls, we run this mother
Girls

Chores:

Verse 1:
Some of them men
Think they freak this like we do
But no they don't.

Make your cheque come at they neck.

Disrespect us, no they won't.
Boy, don't even try to touch me.
Boy, this beat is crazy!
This is how they made me.
Houston, Texas baby.
This goes out to all my girls
That's in the club rocking the latest.

Who would buy it for themselves and get more money later.

I think I need a barber(barber).

None of these bitches can fade me (fade me).

I'm so good with this

I remind you I'm so hood with this.

Boy I'm just playing.
Come here baby.

Hope you still like me
F you pay me.

Chores:

-----
Verse 2:
It's hot up in here dj
Don't be scared to run this run this back.

I'm repping for the girls that's
Taking over the world
Help me raise a glass for the college grads.
Forty-one roll and to let you know what time it is, cheque!
You can't hold me!
I work my nine to five, better cut my check!
This goes out to all the women
Getting it in you on your grind.

To other men that respect
What I do please accept my shine.

Boy you know you love it
How we smart enough to make these millions.

Strong enough to bear the children
Then get back to bidness.

See, you better not play me
Oh come here baby.

Hope you still like me
F you pay me.

Chores:

Verse 3 (Ending):

Who are we
What we run
The world (x2)

Who are we
What do we run
We run the world

Who are we
What we run
We run the world

Who run the world? Girls!
What a poem. Shakespeare can go home.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
A @KanetheMOD ton of MCs could use writers regardless of era(s), "Rapper's Delight" was the first ghostwritten song and Sugarhill Gang was the first manufactured group so w/that said I was never a staunch purist. Today's mumble (c)rappers need writers and Hip Hop as a whole could benefit from more genuine collaboration(s) but more importantly MCs need to read more and live a life beyond money, hoes, clothes, etc.

Kane the MOD

A @KanetheMOD ton of MCs could use writers regardless of era(s), "Rapper's Delight" was the first ghostwritten song and Sugarhill Gang was the first manufactured group so w/that said I was never a staunch purist. Today's mumble (c)rappers need writers and Hip Hop as a whole could benefit from more genuine collaboration(s) but more importantly MCs need to read more and live a life beyond money, hoes, clothes, etc.
or stop pushing P's.

Whatever that actually means... o_O

I think the days of original good lyrics are long gone. People are in hip-hop to make sales and make money, sales dnt go up cause of how deep your lyrics are. Thinking of immortal technique and the like. Drake is killing the charts. Say what you will about him but he is making gang money and thats all that matters these days. I personally would get a ghost writer, who the fuck wants to know how its like growing in South Africa? or how you came up in Harlem? Literally we have all heard those lyrics so much that its just a dime a dozen. The only prson i think has stood the test of time lyric wise is Notorious B.I.G, can still jam that and everyone in the club will be bumping.

Kane the MOD

I think the days of original good lyrics are long gone. People are in hip-hop to make sales and make money, sales dnt go up cause of how deep your lyrics are. Thinking of immortal technique and the like. Drake is killing the charts. Say what you will about him but he is making gang money and thats all that matters these days. I personally would get a ghost writer, who the fuck wants to know how its like growing in South Africa? or how you came up in Harlem? Literally we have all heard those lyrics so much that its just a dime a dozen. The only prson i think has stood the test of time lyric wise is Notorious B.I.G, can still jam that and everyone in the club will be bumping.
stories how you grew up > bragging how rich you are when you are rich > bragging how rich you are when you are broke.

Btw Juicy from Biggie was actually from the third category and was still a dope track.

It was all a dream...

Hip Hop Biggie GIF

Battle Points: 27
I dont think its necessary for 'Rappers' to have to write their own rhymes... BUT, I expect a self-proclaimed 'MC' to write his own sh*t or else Id feel short changed. IMO

Rapper isnt = to MC

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Tarboosh Record "Every emcee raps but not every rapper is an emcee." William Jelani Cobb, To The Break of Dawn: A Freestyle on the Hip Hop Aesthetic

I side with one of my many influences, Roxanne Shante "An MC will move a crowd without a hit record. The rapper has to have a song to move the crowd; the audience could care less what rappers have to say. Rappers need videos, MCs don't."

Last edited:

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I disagree here. Ultimately, it's about making great music and connecting with the listener. Fans come from various backgrounds and have different views of the world, so there's also benefit in gathering various perspectives and collaborating towards the best result (look at it like a business, there are various departments for a reason, and no one person does everything front to back by themselves). I think there's also an art in being able to build a team and collaborate (Cash Money, Dr. Dre).

I think rappers should write there own lyrics but I do understand that this is a songwriting business and you need to create hits. If you want to be a #1 emcee. You have to write your own rhymes. Business wise its more money on the backend for the artist and you'll always have a stake ($$$) in your music

DR.O

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 35
This just makes me think of the Craig Mack & Biggie controversy back in the day... but I appreciate an MC who writes his own shit.
im pretty sure biggie wrote every verse for all of junior mafia yo.... but hes the man tho so... if big handed me some rhymes i wud use that shit

DR.O

Beatmaker
when it comes to this topic.. i will ghostwrite for a motherfucker if his paper good............. but i feel that any rapper who needs that i dont respect...i mean come on yo.. i lose respect for motherfuckers that use ghostwriters... .but i will write rhymes for a cat .... so am i a hypocrite for that? or just awesome ? also it helps that im a semi famous drug poet , and i actually get respect in the literary world, really tho i get more respect there than i do in music lol Im like a gangster ass charles bukowski/ jack kerouac / khalil gibrahn dude with that pen game HAHAHA shit my poetry blog got like 300 subscribers or something and my music got like 5 lol......... im heavy in my city tho....... and i hear my shit jammin outta cars all the time ( mostly chop $crew mixes i made tho ) but still it feels good hearin people u dont know jam the shit u made ridin thru town

Last edited:

DR.O

Beatmaker
@2GooD Productions I agree. How the hell do you lay claim to a track when someone else made the music and someone else wrote the lines? That makes you a puppet rapper.
@Fade I can see how people who freestyle might have difficulty tying together a track. Just because Immortal Technique, Snoop or Eminem can spit shit off the top of their head and write full-on songs, doesn't mean it comes as naturally to everyone.
That being said, I don't remember any rapper who said they fell out of the womb being able to spit...not in all seriousness, anyway. I think that if a person has an eye and an ear for words in any sense, they can better themselves in other, similar avenues. Nas admitted that he was more of a writer, and always, has been, and being like "How the fuck am I supposed to spit this shit live." He worked his ass off on his delivery, and I think it paid off. Even Biggie mentioned he lacked conviction and punch when he started out. I think that if you're good at something, you can become better at it with some work.
And? One more thing. Some people were not born to spit. I have seen kids try and try and even if they have the physical skills, they just can't write or create anything clever. This one kid back in the day, I rememer he couldn't write, but he could flow and freestyle like a motherfucker. The thing was, all his rhymes and freestyles were always lame-ass, "I'm gonna fuck your mom and kill you," type trash. It was weak. You can't just talk shit all day and expect any one take you seriously. I think that writing and studying language is essential to being a good rapper, and I think it takes even more than that to be an emcee of any note.
(Some dude tore up that kid who had trash lines with a hilarious verse that I still remember the end of: "******'s last verse was sick/ don't even say maybe/ I ain't never heard shit like that from someone who got dropped on their head as a baby." And the guy didn't say "baby." He stuck the mic out to the people watching the battle and they said it. That kid got killed by the crowd. XD )
word he used the finish the sentence thing... u know like when u go we are so great together we even finish each others.... and then the chick ur talkin too is like.... sentences.. thats good shit.... lol

DR.O

Beatmaker
@Fade I think it was Evidence from Dilated peoples who said that "...emcee's without a voice should write a book...or not." The idea being, not just about having the actual voice for it (some rappers just sound nasally or weird; you can probably think of one or two,) but having something to actually say. I don't even trust rappers who have help writing their shit. Being a rapper is about having a firm grasp on words, language, metaphors, similies; you know, punches to throw. Originally, rap was often about societal issues, politics and day to day struggles; that's where it came from. Nowadays, regardless of all of the sub-genres, Hip Hop should remain lyrical, even if it isn't talking about large or personal issues. Sometimes it is enough to just have a battle of words, like a poetry slam or something. Hell, R.A. The Rugged Man is a great example. He can do a track that is politically charged or he can just come up with a bunch of clever tongue-twisters and shit. At the end of the day, whatever style you have chosen (or has chosen you,) you need to be writing your own shit, otherwise, you're just a fraud; no gray areas. Too harsh? How about this. What if your producer had someone else make the tracks for him and he just picked the songs he liked for you, as a rapper? I'll bet you might want to skip over him (after questioning why you were paying him for beats and production,) and seek out the guy who was actually making the music. Ghostwriting doesn't just reek of illegitimacy, it is one more way rappers sneak into The Culture (not to be confused with The Industry,) pretending to be someone who they aren't. I actually like some of the rappers on Dre's Compton album who were like, "I've never been a thug or sold drugs or caught a body, but I run with people who have." That's real.
And, one more thing. More and more trap/mumble rappers nowadays are saying that they don't live or do what they rap about about. Really? All you rap about is guns, a body count, and drug selling/use. This begs the question: What are you real about?
its probly cuz of the feds that rappers have to hide the truth these days.......... YSL and all that shit ya know..... but i remember watching some shit where nas was like when i dont have nothing to say and im on the spot rhyming sometimes i just describe scenes from gangster movies i watch.... he a movie guy .... but thats pretty smart if u can pull it off on point

unaufadox

ILLIEN

- Drake "Energy"

Straight up garbage like that can be written by anyone.

The fact that, from who the industry considers one of the largest ‘rappers’ out right now can say something like this and still keep the level of success he has says it all. It used to be all about the bars now it’s about sales, streams and numbers. Which is fine. It can do what it wants to do. U love it or leave it alone.

A rapper should definitely be writing his own lyrics. However, there is nothing in the title to suggest it. A lyricist writes. Can a rapper be a lyricist too? No doubt. I think we as fans have this ideal vision of the industry and the artists within it, but the artists and the industry have a different perspective entirely. Some are just doing it for the money and some as a way to get to something else like acting or to get capital to invest.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I hate how we've come to a point where we shit on rappers for having rhymes written for them but no one expects singers/vocalists to write everything and their shit is still dope granted they have awesome voices that don't need Auto-Tune. I feel every rapper needs an extra set of ears so they won't be releasing no cringe shit. However, if one is a Trap/Mumble rapper, the aforementioned I stated does not apply.

Last edited: