Stop using reverb on your snare.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
been trying techniques like this lately, particularly to give more control of the reverb EQ/FX too. Like it a lot.
It definitely helps with control!

I've typically only ever had a drum bus and then mid-side EQ for the master channel.

But playing around with Bus sends has proven to really support a more surgical mix.

Another concept I like is having several different levels of Sidechain/Pump Compression busses.
-fast release
-slow release
-amount

All triggered by the same Kick can produce some great results and doesn't sound too monotonous in the overall mix.

It definitely helps with control!

I've typically only ever had a drum bus and then mid-side EQ for the master channel.

But playing around with Bus sends has proven to really support a more surgical mix.

Another concept I like is having several different levels of Sidechain/Pump Compression busses.
-fast release
-slow release
-amount

All triggered by the same Kick can produce some great results and doesn't sound too monotonous in the overall mix.
Im a huge fan of sidechained compression/dynamic eq(when going for a more transparent ducking), from putting it on a bassline, on a sample to replace a kick or snare, on a reverb to make it a lot cleaner and only working when the vocal drops out, same on delays.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
It's interesting because I've used reverb countless times on my snare but over the past while I've brought the amount down even more. I hear some guys that use tons of reverb. I think reverb makes a big difference but only to accentuate the snare and not be over the top.

That looks like a good delay trick. Does it give it the same sound as reverb or do you hear a tiny snare feedback?

Same here. Back in the 2000s I used reverb on snares heavily. Not so much these days, I prefer drier ones. If so, that would have to be rather subtle.