Stop using reverb on your snare.

Stop using reverb on the snare??? I disagree. What kind of vst reverb are you using??
This is an alternative "cleaner" way to achieve reverb, or a wider snare. There are always many ways to skin a cat.
To be totally honest, I didnt use this technique for too long because I found it just took too much work, when a decent reverb would do the job. But if Im ever having trouble with reverb sounding too washed out, or if I want to really widen the snares, then I will use this technique as a last resort.

Delay can work, but I think verb on the whole drum bus is important to have the drums all sound like they're coming from the same space. This would include the snare. Just use a send and don't over do it. Experiment with the reverb being mono vs stereo to find what works best for your song.

Delay can work, but I think verb on the whole drum bus is important to have the drums all sound like they're coming from the same space. This would include the snare. Just use a send and don't over do it. Experiment with the reverb being mono vs stereo to find what works best for your song.
I rarely send my kick to the reverb and never send my drum bus to a reverb, I always do sends on my snares, percussion and hi hats seperately, then return my drum reverh back to the drum bus for bus processing as a whole..

I rarely send my kick to the reverb and never send my drum bus to a reverb, I always do sends on my snares, percussion and hi hats seperately, then return my drum reverh back to the drum bus for bus processing as a whole..
Agreed on the kick thing, should have clarified that (my kick is usually processed with the bass, separate from the rest of the drums and combined afterwards in a bus). I don't really like reverb on the kick either.

I like reverb on the kick. But so hard to get right.

Goes for all things, I hate how it takes away from the "up front-ness" but without it things can sound so digital and fake.
I always cut off below 500hz on my reverbs and above 9khz, this way if I ever did have reverb on the kick then it only affects midrange upto 9khz. This alone makes reverb more transparent and it doeant muddy up the low end

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I always cut off below 500hz on my reverbs and above 9khz, this way if I ever did have reverb on the kick then it only affects midrange upto 9khz. This alone makes reverb more transparent and it doeant muddy up the low end
See this is the thing tho, I love some of that boomy low verb. But obviously don't because of the issues.

I love acousticy over smashed sounding flabby af kicks. Often sound like they've got a lot of room sound going on. But not sure. Not sure what it is giving kicks the qualities I like.

I've been trying a different kind of eq on my verbs now tho.

My verb itself has the cut offs I usually keep it cut at about 4500hz

Some snare don't need reverb but if you want it to snap right reverb a must. I wonder why do y'all put reverb on a kick for hip hop beats? Unless you're trying to make boom type like effect like in EDM I understand.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Some snare don't need reverb but if you want it to snap right reverb a must. I wonder why do y'all put reverb on a kick for hip hop beats? Unless you're trying to make boom type like effect like in EDM I understand.
Otherwise it just sound plastic.

By "snap" what do you mean? Cause for me a snare to snap would be more snappy without verb.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Pro tip #1001....Use a frequency splitter any apply reverb to the higher frequency range. Your reverb will sound much cleaner without any muddyness.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I rarely put reverb on the kick unless I'm going for a vibe where the drums sound distant. Very rare for me unless I'm experimenting. I'll sometimes but a hair of reverb on the drum BUS to give it a sense of space, but very little.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
I haven't done this but I'll usually EQ the reverb BUS.

I could cut the low end frequencies on my Reverb Bus but in my mind splitting the frequencies and applying only to 150 Hz and above just seems like a cleaner approach.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
I could cut the low end frequencies on my Reverb Bus but in my mind splitting the frequencies and applying only to 150 Hz and above just seems like a cleaner approach.
What's the difference between using a freq splitter vs. a high pass curve at 150Hz? I can play around with some sounds later to experiment too but genuinely curious to get folks thoughts on this as I keep tinkering and learning.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
This is a cool idea, but I'll offer an alternative.

Snare -> Send Bus

Snare Channel:
Transient shaping for punch (compressor + EQ)

Send Bus:
Reverb
Compressor side-chained to the original snare channel

This allows you to preserve the snap of the snare and get the space from the verb.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
This is a cool idea, but I'll offer an alternative.

Snare -> Send Bus

Snare Channel:
Transient shaping for punch (compressor + EQ)

Send Bus:
Reverb
Compressor side-chained to the original snare channel

This allows you to preserve the snap of the snare and get the space from the verb.
been trying techniques like this lately, particularly to give more control of the reverb EQ/FX too. Like it a lot.