Stop using reverb on your snare.

69e008980cf6759713a57d8e9095471a.jpeg

DJ Wax-Turtle

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I actually found FL very intimidating at first also though.
But once you know a DAW it's easier to switch to another cause you know a lot of terms already. All though all DAWs use different names for similar things.
Same with Synths and Samplers.

DJ Wax-Turtle

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I love FL at heart to.
Although i do gotta say i always found other DAWs looking sexier.
There's barely colors being used. It's mostly grey.

But with a nice background, coloring the mixer, it can still look attractive.

The problem I always had was just doing basic things like copy and pasting. The interface just wasnt intuitive for me compared to other DAW's that were all pretty similar in approach, I found it a pain. Should have been more patient and saved loads of time in the long run

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Heres what I said to Fade, so if you are using fl studio you should be able to follow this more easily..

Right you need to use fruity delay 3, two of them. One for the left slap back and one for the right.
On the snare fx inserts add them there.

Switch off tempo sync on both of them pan one hard right and one hard left, i think it goes to the opposite of what you set in ping pong whiich you need to use, you need to use milliseconds.

The left one should be close to 32 ms, a little under and the right one should be a little over, the higher the ms the later the slap back, you dont want it too late though, tune to taste. You have to be careful for phasing, tune until its not phasing, its really obvious at lower ms settings.

The left one set to have bandpass feedback and set the level to around 3.5% and set the cutoff to around 3100hz, the right one the same but have a higher cutoff freq say 5000hz for arguments sake, but Im sure those numbers change depending on the snare being used.

Once they are done it will sound too much, so then just in the snare fx insert panel, turn them down until it sounds just right. Thats what Ive done and I love the result.
Yo! I think I just accomplished this by using Logics Sample delay. The module has a left and right setting. It really give you control of how you kinda want the snare to sit within the mix.

Yo! I think I just accomplished this by using Logics Sample delay. The module has a left and right setting. It really give you control of how you kinda want the snare to sit within the mix.
i find it brings the snare right out in the mix, it does help to use rvox on the snare afterwards, but thats a waves plugin, can achieve the same with a gate and a limiter.

Slap back delay is a thing, and Ive seen a few producers saying how they have stopped using reverb and use delays instead, so I tried it, and gosh diggly darn it, it works.

I tried it a couple times in cubase but never achieved such tidy results before, fruity delay makes it very simple

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
i find it brings the snare right out in the mix, it does help to use rvox on the snare afterwards, but thats a waves plugin, can achieve the same with a gate and a limiter.

Slap back delay is a thing, and Ive seen a few producers saying how they have stopped using reverb and use delays instead, so I tried it, and gosh diggly darn it, it works.

I tried it a couple times in cubase but never achieved such tidy results before, fruity delay makes it very simple
It works for real, for real...now to perfect it. Yo Bro...thanks for the enlightenment.

Gonna have a few more tips coming as and when I can put them into words that can be understood as easily as possible.Some of my old advice is a bit out of date and has changed over time. I want to cover sidechaining bass and kick at some point as people always struggle to get the kick and bass right.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Gonna have a few more tips coming as and when I can put them into words that can be understood as easily as possible.Some of my old advice is a bit out of date and has changed over time. I want to cover sidechaining bass and kick at some point as people always struggle to get the kick and bass right.
Bet! I would love to hear your take on it.

@K-waz what's your preferred/fav reverb plugin? I've been FL's Reverb 2 and sometimes TAL Reverb 4, but curious what others are using!
Fl Reverb2 is always my first choice in Fl Studio. I stay using the Dry, size and decay time button. Other times I use Valhalla reverb, CLA Effects, Waves Renaissance Reverb or Fabfilter Pro R. Im always jumping around but I have a lot of reverb vst but these that I listed are my go to

Attachments

• CLAEffects-large.jpg
    CLAEffects-large.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 19
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 20
  • ValhallaVintageVerb70sGUI-960x384.jpg
    ValhallaVintageVerb70sGUI-960x384.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 21
  • ybnehmsvn84wwbv1ducw.jpg
    ybnehmsvn84wwbv1ducw.jpg