UK Hip Hop & Channel U

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
What do People overseas think is UK Hip Hop?

What do UK heads think of the music we're producing?

What was the last UK album you copped or downloaded?

What UK producers are you feeling?

How many of you listen to UK Hip Hop Regularly?

Any other comments or questions???

Is Channel U Good or Bad on the whole in your opinion? (I don't have cable)

MR_P

!
ill o.g.
Channel U

I watch channel U now and then... The ring tone adverts are really annoying but I like the fact that its an outlet for crews around the country to show others where there comming from... Ive noticed as of late some crews are using it to diss each others and so on but that was always gonna happen.... I know what people say about all you have to do is post them a video and they'll probably play it but thats the beauty of it, its whats happening right now and not what track a record company has decided can have a video and be shown. If someones video or track is wack then that just shows them up, kna mean!? I think most of its pretty good and original tho.

Also, its nice to see that different areas of London have completely different styles comming showing thru. I think UK Hip Hop is in a good place at the moment and moving forward well and I think things like Channel U and The Jump Off Shows are good for showcasing UK Talent.

Thats my views anyways man!

Peace

P

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i like Klashnefoff (and Terra Firma), Lewis Parker, some guys called Arms Length (Keys and Darkus) and an underground emcee called Capriciouz who will make it big soon (ask afrique).

Producers would be Fusion and Harry Love, dont know many really. JD - haha no way.

Channel U is shit IMO. (i suppose it would be good if u lived in London coz u would see all the local's vids, but thats the only area they do - London)

people runnin around sayin their bringing the scene up, the UK hasnt even got a fuckin scene, fuck it.

sAfE.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
HMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Uk Hip Hop, does it exist ? LOL

I would have thought on the whole UK Hip Hop to overseas people is pretty poor !
IMO the music were producing on the whole is pretty bad, if im honest ok there are exceptions people like roots manuva ( who i got tickets too see next year : ) ) but ya know on the whole its pretty poor theres nothing like the quality of the stuff coming from mainly the US i mean we can use a million a one excuses but its all bullshit really theres no reason why it shouldn't be ok it will never be on the same size as them as there country is so much bigger but relatively we should be doing something over here we can ahrdly get our music heard here let alone overseas ! Its nearly 2005 and we have had no uk hip hop artist break into the mainstream or something big ! The latest UK album i downloaded was skinnyman which has probably had the most hype of a uk artists album ever and its ok its pretty good but its nothing outstanding which it needs to be if its gonna be the most hyped album in the country, he said a lot of beats were done by his A&Rs son, so it kinda figures !
UK produces ive not heard enough of any one person to say that they are good but i hear lewis parker is good and so is harry love ! Judging by the all the UK Hip Hop ive ever heard some of the other top producers in the country are afrique deluxe and chedda coz really i aint heard much if anything out of the uk that has production that they cant at least compare too !
I don't really listen to UK hip hop that much !
And channel U is pretty crap tbh the level of music played on there ranges from average to absolutely awful the kinda of beat that i woul be ashmed to admit woz mine even if it woz my first ever beat ! The rappers arent so bad a few of them have skills klash, roots manuva, too name a few but again some are just fuckin crap !
IMO we really need to have people over here that are rivalling the best the rest of the world has in particular the US we have no jay-z no eminems nothing like that we don't even have hat many successful underground artists and as for producers we have no timabalands, no kanyes no dres nothing like that nothing that makes anyone take much notice over anything else !
TBH there are other reason but the main reasoon UK hip hop doesnt get popular is one because the fans don't want it to they try to keep it to this litle underground sect and two because he quality of the music isnt good enough !
When we have original ideas, it might go somewhere, you hear people moan about how shit the new eminem album is or how crap the jay-z album is or woteva but dam i'd be glad to have one album like that come out the UK lol no1 is making big moves at all over here ! There are some solid albums don't get me wrong but nothing groundbreaking !

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
I don't know if UK Garage is considered Hip Hop, but I'm feeling "The Streets". His production style is simple and the "talking" over the music becomes catchy. He's a breath of fresh air for me.

"Blinded by the Lights" is a dope song!

Here's a sample, not my favorite song but...
http://www.the-streets.co.uk/tunes.php

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
"task force, klashnekoff, jehst, ty, roots manuva. <-my idea of good uk hip hop"

That's surprising Mercury...

That's like all our good acts... Normally errybody abroad says "Dizzee Rascal, The Streets & SAS/Eurogang"

They're all good acts but not exactly UK Hip Hop...

Klash is the illest in my opinion...

Best producers... Harry Love, Joe Buddha, Chester P, Braintax... Dagnabbit of Foreign Beggars...

Check Foreign Beggars - Asylum Speakers... That's the solidest UK drop ever in my opinion... Got a lotta big UK names on it...

woohff

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Haven't really heard much, but someguys from UK (do not remember their names) featured with this Finnish guy called Paleface. The track was produced by these UK guys and it sounded quite nice comparing to Dizzie Rascal and the Streets... The other guy was Mark or Mike or something... WAS IT YOU MARK N!??!? =)

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Uk hip hop pretty wack, the scene is pretty boring I dont really get involved in it half the cats claimin to be uk hip hop artists or fans have only been listening to hip hop since 2001 so there understanding of the artform is limited this shows in the music.

however there r some bright spots like root manuva, task force, mystro

as for the producers mark b, hindz and boy dj snipps.

my favorite mc's is the dudes i hang with and thats the kardinal sin niggas, geneva convention niggas and elija planesite niggas

one

D

D-man

JPeg said:
Uk hip hop pretty wack, the scene is pretty boring I dont really get involved in it half the cats claimin to be uk hip hop artists or fans have only been listening to hip hop since 2001 so there understanding of the artform is limited this shows in the music.

however there r some bright spots like root manuva, task force, mystro

as for the producers mark b, hindz and boy dj snipps.

my favorite mc's is the dudes i hang with and thats the kardinal sin niggas, geneva convention niggas and elija planesite niggas

one

Na jpeg i disagree theres plenty of good uk hip hop around its just not exposed artists such as lewis parker, Ty,jehst, klashnekoff ,tommy evans, yungun, cappo ,moorish delta who are from the midlands to name a few. Producers such as evil ed (check out his new album) harry love, p brothers, joe buhdda ,ghost. Ok we all grew up listening to U.S hip hop but that doesn't mean we have to imitate them just bring a new style to the table but keeping the fundementals. Channel U is a good station thats just filled with a few weak artists (mentioning no names) but you do see a good tune on there. At the end of the day i prefer channel U to mtv base who just stick to obvious videos's from obvious artists. At least Channel U gives us homegrown talent where else are you gonna c that on tv?

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Listen to the last track on Nas' Streets Disciple, CD 2, there is some UK talent definately.

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
uk hip hop is building up, its a small scene, but dudes need to stop hating and let it grow, there is talent. fuck all these new dudes jumping from garage onto ukhip hop that shit is wack, but we HAVE got talent i dont give a fuck what anyone says...my boy kashmere, phi life, cappo, klash, kyza, task, jehst, 57th dynasty, wordsmith, universal soldiers, yungun, mystro, asaviour, doc brown, lowkey, verb t......fuck, theres too many ill dudes in my opinion. and the production is DIFFERENT to the US but that doesnt make it worse, i think its very good, in most cases. and we have some very very dope producers, like someone said harry love, dj ghost, and people like joe budha, dj vadim, etc etc.

i dont feel channel u though, i feel what theyre trying to do, pushing the uk underground forward, but they have a very bad opinion on whats dope...

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
haha yeah... I just copped that Kahsmere & Verb T album in my lunch break... that's some illness right there... still not touching asylum speakers tho... but that's got your man kashmere on it...

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
Rhythmikal said:
i like an underground emcee called Capriciouz who will make it big soon (ask afrique).

ahh cap's the man.i did a few beats for his LP and im on the london branch of his label.he gonna be doin it big soon...trust

u know him personally? tell him sandeep says wattttuppp

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
berserk said:
haha yeah... I just copped that Kahsmere & Verb T album in my lunch break... that's some illness right there... still not touching asylum speakers tho... but that's got your man kashmere on it...

yeah man...kash is doin it....i got a few beats on his next low life album, so im lookin forward to that ish. but yeah, i do see big things comin up for him. i think he can come a lot nicer than the verb t collab album, hes been gettin bigger and better constantly, hes touring right now, so shit is poppin off for him..

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
shud be good man... look forward to that... kash is better than verb in my opinion... just sounds more interesting...

and about capricious... afrique does a lotta stuff for his label... i talk with the people he did the UK runnings mixtape with every now and again... cap's pretty heavy...

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Yea there is some talent out there don't get me wrong and the streets are dope imo even tho they aren't strictly hip hop !
But i just found the whole UK hip hop thing a bit limiting and the whole thing seems very clicky everyones down with everyone else and all that shit ! I prefer to work on my own personally so i just don't get involved !

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Streetwize said:
ahh cap's the man.i did a few beats for his LP and im on the london branch of his label.he gonna be doin it big soon...trust

u know him personally? tell him sandeep says wattttuppp

which beats did u do on Down Payment man? i dont know him personally but i like what he's doin.

sAfE.

C

Carpe Diem

Personally I think UK Hip Hop is arse man.... Most of the beats are pretty wack, there are a few exceptions, but on the whole, the beats are pooh. They seem to be a raw beat with a shitload of bass and a pony sample.... My fave UK beat is prob King Of The World by Speech Ferepy, check out their site, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/t.bland1/index2.html , they got some nice ish, prob the only UK thing i can peep (bar the lyrics, which are wack - 'I still feel like chicken tonight' -pssshhhh!!!)

Lyric wise, i think UK dudes are shit... A lot of them dont even know what they talking bout, and change subject halfway thru a track - Klash - 'Its Murda'.... The way people compare the UK to US is just pathetic imo...

Carpe

members online