Week of May 1, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
dmx
intro was a lil off and wierd, when the beat drops its koo, i like the vocal stab u got in there. I like some of the pans. creative, u kept it up beat, thats koo. stay up, i liked it.

ms
intro is koo. k the kick is definately distorted. aight, whats goin on?? im confused in the beat, the kick is jumpin in here the snare poppin in there, then the samples are in their own world. it just all seems out of sync, thats the only problem, but that makes the beat feel 'sloppy' for lack of a better term. i've peeped ur shit before and i liked it, im havin difficulty gettin into this beat cuz it keeps throwin me around. holla

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
deStructuralize - Needed more! lol, you nailed it, cause this iz real nice. Your bass compliments the sample somethin sic, dope shit man.

ill o.g.
Haha, thanks Ruimixx. I really should've added more to it, but the track wasn't vibing with me enough for me to want to keep working on it. Good flip practice though.

Reviews
================
BigDTraxx: Really interesting, almost creepy. I personally think the pitch shift is a bit high, especially on the vocals, but I like the funky feel behind this. Kind of sounds like Dangermouse. The drums are on point and I like the hats you picked.

Emeezy: Intro's rather long, but I like it when the beat cuts in. Nice layering of the descending piano notes with the violins. Hats seem a bit too clean sounding, but I like the drums you've got going. The hook sounds a tad bit panicky (vocals), but perhaps that's the effect you were going for. Well done overall.

Knox: Wow, really nice. Definitely fits that old-school gangster type vibe. I'm liking the integrated sound effects as well, the only thing I don't like is that the screams seem a bit too overdramatic for the overall mood of the track. I'd also vary up the main loop a little bit here and there.

AK: I'm definitely liking the main loop, but I'd ease up a little bit on the cymbal crashes. The hook and the main loop also seem to be a bit disjointed, possibly because of the pitch shift. I like the vocal stabs that go on in the 2:00ish region.

Tricky Spinz: Wow. This really evokes a haunting, pensive mood. I'm liking the sounds you used for the bassline. This is an amazing flip. I bow.

Low: Flack n Dem is real nice, it's upbeat and fun. I'd ease back on the crashes. Just Flack: I think the distortion on the voice is a little bit weird.

Carpe Diem: Niiiice! I can definitely imagine a street-style MC on this track. The sample sounds really gritty and grimy, I like that. The snare sounds a bit too clean in that regard though; I'd dirty it up a bit.

Ruimixx: Awesome, I like the layers and the panned vocals. Atmospheric. I don't really like the vocals you added that weren't from the original sample though; don't seem to really fit. But this was really cool, and really creative.

Sanova: This is awesome! Real mellow, but simultaneously bright and uplifting. I like the vocal stabs, they're subtle but effective. The transition between the hook and main loop seems a little abrupt because of the high pitch of the vocals vs the mid/low sounds in the main loop. I'm really liking this, man. Definitely would vibe to it.

DMX: I think you have snippets of some real nice arrangements in there, but for me personally it's a little too chopped. Drums are well done. I like what you do for the hook in terms of arrangements go. Decent flip!

MS: The drums are a bit too wild for my personal tastes. The kick is definitely distorted. The chops are interesting; I like the main loop you've got going, but the 0:17 and onwards portions seem rather incoherent. Keep workin at it homie, you've got something.

L

lowcuntry

DMX: Say, this is a tyte azz flip for real. I didnt understand the direction of the song until the drums dropped. Nice overall

Destruct: This is smoov playa. The bass does it yanno. Woulda like to hear a lil more, but you did good wit what you got. You doing your thang over dere playa.

M.S: Yo I like the fast paced, pitch stuff, but afta 20 seconds It seemed to go in another direction. The kicks sounds dull(distorted) I like the chipmunks doe....Its an alright flipppp

Ruimixx: Nice....Started off so-so, but when you got into the beat I started bobbing my head. Coulda chopped it a lil more. WTH!!! ws that another song played in with it. Like the concept, but wasnt really feeling how you did it.

Sanova: Chipmunks!!! Man this is the sickest I heard so far. Nice bass, nice melody, Damn bra you did it wit dis one.....Strait Fiyah Wouldnt change nuffin.

Hey thanks to everyone who gave feedback for my song.. being that this is my first post...It didnt go so bad as I thought.....Really lookiing for to next one but Ill be deployed next week.....SHYTTT!

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
lowcuntry said:
Ruimixx: Nice....Started off so-so, but when you got into the beat I started bobbing my head. Coulda chopped it a lil more. WTH!!! ws that another song played in with it. Like the concept, but wasnt really feeling how you did it.

Haha! Yeah, I kept hearing that mary jane girls song in my head while arranging my slices, and prolly should have not put that in there, but those budwiesers were kicking in that night. Thx for the feedback, and I'll get to yours soon. Peace.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Brother Turk flip

Hey y'all,
I introduce to you Brother Turk. He has flipped the Flack sample. Illmuzik is not allowing anyone new to register until May 15th. He would have posted himself, but since he can't register, I'm posting on his behalf.
Pretty nice IMO, tell me what you think.
I'll come back with some reviews tomorrow.
EZ
Dahkter

link: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3891633&q=hi

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
dahkter
Not feelin the intro when the drums are alone, but then when the stab comes in its cleans it up. ok, listening. And im not sure if the beat has dropped yet or what.. thats the downfall of having a dumline from the begining without any chagneups. When the vocals drop its koo, then it seems to fall apart. this beat doesnt seem to have any structure as far as a song is concerned. The main chops are koo, take away that vocal part tho. stay up

ill o.g.
Dahkter: The stabs in the beginning are alright, the drums are rather interesting...kind of got an old-school jazz type feel to 'em. This could be cool as a simple track to just relax to, if it were cleaned up a bit. I don't like the vocal cuts though, they seem a little out of place; they could be integrated a little bit better.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Spanish Harlem
Intro is on point, def feelin that vocal sample wit the reverb!! The piano chops u used were definately on point. I like the delay u got on it. Not feelin the handclap-snare business, seems out of place on this track. The kick drum doesnt feel good, yknow. The chemistry just isnt right wit the track, also the pattern doesnt work well with it. Just changes up them drums and u will have a FIRE ass track.

Now, can you leave feed on our flips please? cuz this week we dont have as much feed.

O

open mind

spanish the chops are sick.i agree with the others the drum pattern dont fit.try softer kick and softer snare not a clap.

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Emeezy - Your shit was on point killa... the intro was nice i liked the overall feel...that reverse shit was nice.... all good here homie

Knox- haha this track is unique....u always come through with some shit that is just nutso... haha sounds good man... all those effects worked in your favor with this one....

Carpe Diem- DAMN dude... u got this one kid...haha this is hot.. for real...im mos def feelin it... i like the chops... they were ill.... and the drums sounded dope.....

Sanov- yes the chipmunk...this track is nice...i like the the chops....the arrangement is definatly key and you got it on.... the drums sound nice to me too... i like how this whole overall track fits.... the voices add ins are a great touch...hah im liking the mood of this one.... U MAKING ME CRY NOVA =(...haha...

ill o.g.
SpanishHarlem: Ill, but the bled note in the main loop stands out too much for my tastes. It's the 4th note, on the start of the descending phrase. I'd add a bit of variation to the hats, personally. Nice dropout of the drums at around 1:10, those types of meticulous details make instrumentals fun to listen to.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Message from Brother Turk:

"Hi all, Brother Turk here, my bro Dahkter turned me on
to this forum...very nice. Love the sample flip forum.
As I can not register to this forum till the 15th The
Dahkter kindly posted my sample flip. I appreciate and
look forward to any feedback and to posting my humble
opinions for your flips....Peace.

"One more thing... do you guys think it would be
beneficial to list the gear used for your productions
or would detract from the task at hand?

"For my effort, I went really minimal nothing fancy on
the drums...wanted to keep a slow, chill 84 bpm vibe
going..kinda basic but I felt the slow melodic samples
worked well so I really didn't want to complicate
things...hope you like.

"BIGDMAKINTRAX - Good energy on that flip...high pitch
sample works well, Drums are nice! Although I don't
personally feel the pitched-up samples you got the
vibe going...

"Emeezy - Really cool flip..nice n mellow vibe, I like
the minimal chill factor, drums are a tiny bit too up
front in the mix however, good work.

"AKMANILLA - I like the sample selection, again not
feeling the pitched up samples but they were well
done, good drums however the cymbals are a bit too
plentiful, kinda pulls me out of the vibe but nice
work..

"Tricky Spinz - wow intro/sampling is hot! definitely
head bobin...the pitched sampling is dope, although
it's not my thing...everything is really blended in
well. very nice job.

"Carpe Diem - I like this allot. I really like the
'moody' string samples, maybe needs a little change-
up w/additional sample/s
drums are hot!

"LowCuntry - Same here this is my first post..welcome.
Flak and Dem - this one has a 'jump
up'beat kinda feel to it, it's well done. Original and
cool.
Just Flack - good effort as well, high
pitch turned me off a bit, but that's just me...well
put together.

"Ruimixx - Interesting samples MJG and Annie Lennox?
not sure..sounds sweet. Drums are ok a bit sparse but
I like sparse..
good choppin.

"Sanova - Not feeling the intro at all but when you
drop that beat...Yeah that's nice! high pitch kinda
kills it for me tho.
Nice bass-line and drum programming def sits nice..

"dmx19802000 - Intro is ok, kinda obvious, I like the
samples used, drums are not quite sitting with the
track a bit different but nice regardless..

"M.S - I like abstract but this is a little disjointed,
hard to get into. I like the effort M.S and sometime
the abstract beat drops and sometimes it's a bit off
but keep it up!

"deStructuralized - Yup...yeah..this one has a nice
feel, sweet work on the drums and samples..the
bass-line sits right too. Good one deS!

"spanishharlem - intro/high pitch are ok nothing
special, I like the piano/string flip allot. Drums are
a tiny bit busy and loud in the mix. REMIX
version..is better, drums are still a bit too
aggressive? somethings not quite right..but good
going."

Artistix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
My Try

This is my little flip of the sample didn't come out the way I wanted I admit I rushed I kind of like it though and the emotion and felling it has. www.soundclick.com/artistix the song called "TELLING YOU"

M.S - Yea had a hard time listening to this

deStructuralized - Good all around beat

spanishharlem - FIRE I like those drums you mad this sample move.

BIGDMAKINTRAX - I llike this, this is something different and the energy is crazy.

Emeezy - This is probably my favorite this is my type of beat lots of feeling and emotion really draws the listener in. I couldn't stop freestyling

AKMANILLA -Pretty nice beat the crashes were plentiful but I felt the beat I kind of have the same problem.

Flak and Dem -This is a good one I like the drums.

Just Flack - This is a hot one I liked the way u flipped the sample

Tricky Spinz -Crazy track thats all I got to say

Carpe Diem - I like these drums and I like the groove this is a hot one.

Ruimixx - OK this was different and off the chain at the same time. I like producers who take a risk.

Sanova - I like this beat Sanova

dmx19802000 - A little irregular but still good this is aight

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Artistix
I love pitched vocals. nice choice of vocals to use. k, When the beat drops, its not on beat really, and the tuning is a little off from the instruments used when the vocals were playing. i can hear the creativity tho. holla bak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online