Week of May 22, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.R.O.

ill o.g.
bigrob said:
t.r.o.
sounds like a lot of work u did with this.i liked the drums and the chops.the switchups came very very very very very nice man it all fits well u did some great work i like this a lot.BRAVO!!! (after hearing that track i was a lil down cause i know it will take me long time to get that skills u got.)how long u doin this son?
thx man i only really been makin beats since december 05 but been damblin wit it since april in 05

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
5th Sequence - You put in some good work on this. I dig the drums (as usual) and the vocal stabs at 0:46ish were real cool. You threw down on that bassline. Ha! Keep it up man!!

C

Carpe Diem

Nice sample, its been interpolated for john Legends 'Live It Up' (Props to my bro for realising!!!) Knew I had heard it before.... reviews coming soon, I'm gettin got work on this...................

ill o.g.
Really liked this sample. I wanted to come up with something soulful, but it actually sounds kind of tropical. I'm going to give it another go I think, stretch the tempo a bit more, make something a bit smoother.

"Soul For Thought"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=425648&songID=3971894

Reviews
Tricky Spinz - I really like the chop you chose and the way you executed it. I should've kept mine at a tempo like that :). This beat as a whole sounds really lush and atmospheric, which I always appreciate, and those string stabs are on point as well. I like the changeup at 1:00. I kind of feel like the drums are sitting a bit far back in the mix though, and for a beat as human as this I'd have liked to hear a kick with more definition. Everything else fits incredibly well. Awesome job.

Boneidle - I would have liked to hear a fuller sound out of the low end...either with some low end theory or EQ'd bass synth. This is creative. The guitars seem to do something weird every 2 bars in the hook though, seems discordant. I like the vocal chops you chose, but there's a strange clicking in them; I assume they're from the sample. Not bad.

Bigrob - I like your approach on this...taking those plucked strings and basing the beat around them, nice. I like the keys you added too. I think that this beat could be improved with some more layering of the sample or of other instruments, it'd give it an even smoother feel.

T.R.O. - I like what you did with the chops, though there are a few syncing issues. Sounds like a nice relaxing track, I dig it. I'd add a bit more in terms of percs though.

Knoxraw - I like the chops, though some of them bleed a bit noticeably, namely the flutes that fall on the 3 of the main loop. I think the changeup is pretty big in terms of bassline and general mood, doesn't seem to fit. With that being said, though, a few more fitting and subtle changeups would make this a bit better as well. Nice job.

Artistix - I like the chops you chose for the hook ("Tell Me"), but the main loop seems to shift drastically in pitch (and thus mood) from the hook. I like what you're doing with it, but I personally would try shifting either or both of the tracks. The kick could stand to be moved up in the mix. That's pretty much it, good work.

Lionucs - Hmm, the sample is very noticeably sounding distorted. I like what you do when the drums come in, most definitely. One thing I would comment on is that while the chops are dope, and they're sort of purposely choppy, I still would've liked something to tie those notes together and make it all a bit more cohesive. Perhaps some background strings, vocal stabs, or stronger bassline.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16

dj360_iNfInItE1

ill o.g.
My reviews:

Tricky Spins – Kinda repetitive but it’s cool as hell how you did it though. I like the change up too.

Boneidle – I love how it starts out. Nice style on this one for sure. I am still a fan of the chipmunk shit, LOL! The guitar riff in it is hot. Good job!

BigRob – This sounds more like an interpolation instead of a sample flip. It’s cool though but I can’t hear the sample at all. Did you just play it instead?  Cool shit though.

T.R.O. – I like the idea but it sounds a little off of beat and scattered a bit. The drums you used were tight. I just think you need to tighten up your samples and make them sound like they fit better.

5th Sequence – Excellent job my man. I love the bassline in this a lot. It fits perfectly. Your chopping was precise as hell. I am really feeling this track. Big ups!

Knox Raw – Oh shit! That bassline reminds me of ATCQ. This is tight as shit. That break is phat as phuck! Do dat shit homie! I love this cut. This is exactly the type of shit I like to listen to. My favorite so far.

Artistix – This is cool. A lot of looping though. I wished you would have flipped it more. I liked your idea. At one point it kinda sounded off a little bit. I really like the hook.

Lion-ucs – I wasn’t really feelin this. It was way to choppy for my tastes. When you added the singing part, there were no drums or anything. Sounded kinda disjointed.

2good – This is nice and soulful and dub-like all at once. I like this cuz it’s different. Those strings and pads you used were a nice addition. Probably the slickest one so far. Nice composing along side the sample. 2 thumbs up homie!

Sahota – First of all, I really like the snare you used. It hits like a mutha-phucka! Good track. The only thing I would have liked more is if you would have added a bassline. BTW, the breakdown was hittin’. Nice work.

deStructuralize – Nice work on the drums. Bap-Bap! I am realling diggin this. It has almost an 80s feel to it the way you did it. Good job on this one.

HDBEATS - Ummm, okaayyyyy! Yeah, ummmm. That wasn't on beat. It's like you didn't try to chop the sample up on beat at all. I hate to say this but, that was not good at all. I ain't trying to hate but that was a mess.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Reviews

Tricky : This has a screwed and chopped feel to it. It's ok kinda repetative though but, hey thats HipHop. Sounds like we picked the same spots. Thumbs up.

Boneidle : This is crazy. Real original. You get pounts for creativity. Not really my style but, you did freak it. Good shit! K.I.M.

BigRob : I can't reall get a hold of this one. It was kinda repetative. You get points for recreating the sample though. I can't do that shit (lol!!!!) It was cool fam.

T.R.O : Yo, your drums are hitting. The chops are hot. I like the missed hits and spacing. I like this just cause it sound like it got mistakes in it. That just my personal taste. Good shit Fam! K.I.M.

Artistix : I like the feel of this one. The chops are a little off on the 1 and 3. Needs a little more trimming done. But, at the same time it works. You freajed it nice. Keep it up.

Lion-Ucs : This is different. It's ok. Just alot of space. It sounds like a breakdown or a preview to the "real track".

2Good : Sounds real musical when you flip a sample. I like the other elements. Shit got an Adam F. vibe to it. I like this. K.I.M.

Sohota : Those drums are hard as hell. I'm really feelin the chops. This is fire! I wouldn't change anything about this. Good shit. K.I.M.

DeStruct : This is hot. I like the added synth. The chops are on point too. Good flip! K.I.M.

HD : I see what you tried to do. The loop was off. Nothing a little time strecthing can't fix. You got all the elements the direction was just off. Keep grinding.

Infinite : I like this. It's kinda busy though. The chops was on point. That bassline is too heavy IMO. Just off a little. The drums and chops was lovely though. Good Flip. K.I.M.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
MORE REVIEWS:

Artistix: it's nice to listen to, but it's all just straight lines from the sample. you need to chop it more. make it your own, create your own melodies and shit with it. your chops are just too long. it's just too much of the original song and not enough your own.

Lion-ucs: not really feelin the choppiness of this piece. it needs to flow more. don't have such short and separated chops. it's ok to use some slices as stabs, but having that be your entire beat just doesn't work. you have to have things flowing under it. and then with the rest of it, you just are taking huge samples of the original song. like i said to artistix, you have to cut it up and make it your own.

2Good: damn, you got creative on this one. it's interesting. the intro is aight. not really feelin it though. overall, maybe a little repetitive. i would have liked to hear you use more of the sample for some kind of chorus changeup, or something to just give it a little more variation. the parts you composed for it fit pretty well. the brass especially. not bad.

Sahota: nice. i'm feelin this. nice choice of chops, you flipped this real well. i could definitely seesomeone flowin on this. i'm diggin this. nice job on the changeups, keepin it interesting. lovin it.

destructuralize: a little choppy maybe. if it would just flow a little better. have a little more connection. you've done a lot of chopping which i like. you've definitely made it your own. i think if things were a little more connected it would be better. i'm kinda gettin into this though. not bad.

HDBEATS: ok, this would be so much better if it was just on beat. it sounds way off beat. things aren't matching up with the kick and snare like they should. you gotta chop up those longer segments into the individual notes so you can play them faster so it stays on beat. i think it has potential, but you gotta fix that. it has to match up cuz otherwise the whole thing just sounds off.

dj360: interesting. this is aight. i can dig this. i think the "running around" part doesn't fit because the pitch of the sounds behind that sample clash with the other samples you've got going on.

Ruimixx: i wasn't sure where this was headed at the start. i don't think the bassline really goes that well with the chops and the direction you chose. i think with a different bassline this would flow a lot better.

dj360_iNfInItE1

ill o.g.
Knox & Tricky - Thanks for the reviews guys. I will keep in mind your suggestions on next week's flippage. Boom Bap!

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Seoul P said:
My man Knox killed this. That bass line is insane, feelin the pieces you used. I know I've said this a couple times before but I'm gonna try and find time to flip this joint. I seriously gotta start moving into some sampling haha.

Appreciated Fam.

HDBEATS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for the feedback, I was more focused on the bass on this so yeah my chops were weak. Im'a give my reviews tommorow after I get off work, possibly throw up my remix tommorow.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
More Reviews::

Artistix
This wasn't bad at all, my only complaint off the bat is that i cant understand what is being said!! I liked it when it broke straight to the beat though. I think if it was in mono it'd sound a bit better, but this was a good flowing melody. Drums sound good with the sample, nice and smooth. Damn, yeah, just those voices I cant understand them so it just translates to random squeeling chipmunks lol. I had the same problem when I tried pitching up the sample but i couldnt come up with anything in that pitch area. Cool to hear you do it.

lion-ucs
2nd flip ever, keepin that in mind. I see where this beat is goin in a way, whats up with the slow tempo? It's almost like one of those double paced R&B songs, but i think this would sound much better at a faster tempo. Yeah, a lil hard to follow cuz its a slow tempo, but its like blastin at that slow tempo!! What'd you do to the sample to make it sound that raw? It sounds very raw, almost like a bad quality recording off a record or somethin. Keep it up bro

2good
I see the direction of it, it does have potential. Drums sounded pretty weak though, they werent hittin at all for me. The reverb on the snare sounded really cheesy to me though. Also the chops seemed a lil rough at the beginning. Adding those strings/brass or whatever it is that is slightly panned right is a good idea for the song though, definitely fills it out a bit. That bass line you added sounds dope too. If you could rework the drums on it with that bassline an then smooth out the chops, maybe add a filter to the sample and put it in mono or lessen the stereo feild, it'd be a much tighter mix and vibe all together. Then keepin that instrument thing would sound good with everything. Cool stuff though, keep it up man

Sahota
Ahhhh yeeeeah. This has a sick "get pumped" type of vibe to it. The drums hit pretty well an everything works in unison. Great chopping and incorperating the lyrics in it were flawless. Shit sounds hella nice, nothin i would change. Breakdown is sick too.

Destructuralize
Homie, you didnt review my shit!! lol. left a brotha out. I see where this one is headed though, i think the drums kinda detracted from the "wholeness" of the song. Like the drums are one part grimey as hell an another part clean and pristine as hell. Hard to follow, like the ride hihat is very clean and in your face in the front, while the snare is grimey and sounds further back in the mix. If you want the drums to be more prominent in the mix, have the kick an snare in your face, an then the hihats an rides/cymbals panned and less in your face. Plus the difference in sound quality is kinda hard to follow. The sample arrangement is cool though, it has potential. If it was louder an possibly EQ'd or filtered to be brighter it'd really bring everything up in terms of general vibes. This has potential.

HDBeats
This was hard for me to follow. Bassline didnt seem in the same note as the sample. Almost seemed off beat?? Seemed like everything was doing its own melody. Like the drums have its own pattern going on, an the bassline might sound better if it was synced to what the drums were doing (or vice versa). Also, the sample flippage has potential, but its doing its own thing!! Like the bassline is fighting the whole entire song cuz its off key. But the sample flippage itself would sound better if that bassline was used in the same key, and used in a way that
is sync with the drums but also used so it reflects what the sample is doing. You gotta keep every aspect of your song in mind an make sure it all clicks na mean? I cant totally say I enjoyed it cuz that bassline had me like woah throughout the song. But i can see it being something if things were reworked. Just a process my man, keep doin it!!

DJ 360
This was pretty cool. Sounds overley compressed, but the melody you created with the chops are cool though. Drum pattern is good, but they seem to be drowned out by the loudness of the sample. I think if it was opposite, like the drums loud an hittin an then the sample volume lowered, it'd be a more moving sound altogether. Bassline is a good touch. The lil vocal part added in there is ok, it doesnt necissarily detract from the beat but it also doesnt seem to add much to it. Just doin an honest evaluation, but it was a cool direction you took it. Original vibes of the sample were intact so it was nice an smooth.

Ruimixx
This was cool, i liked what you did with this. I think the intro should be reversed in your order though!! like hte sample shoulld come in first an the bassline comes in a bit later. Would have the listener followin what you did with the sample first and how you built around it. The change up is interesting, but a lil harsh. Eh, wasn't really feelin the 2nd beat that came in, but that first one has some good potential in it. Bassline seemed to stick out like a soar thumb on it, but that first one is where its at.

Ah yeah, thanks to everyone who has reviewed my stuff so far. Except you Destructuralize!!

haha i'm playin man. Let me know if i forget someone.

ill o.g.
Reviews Part II

5th: Aw damn! Sorry about missing you last time, man...I was quickly skimming to find links and didn't spot yours. With that being said, I like what you've got going on with the drums, very upbeat, trippy vibe. I like the distorted stabs you have going down starting at about 0:41 as well. That bassline is on point too. I like this and can't find much to criticize about it. I wasn't feeling the main loop at first, but after all the changeups I got more into it after the 1:00ish mark. I think see what you mean regarding hats now, I get a clean sort of feeling from all of your percussion; it's consistent. It seems I've been having trouble getting my hats to match the rest of my drums and the sample in tone and quality. Do you have any advice in this regard? Should I be looking at EQ, distortion, etc? Imaging in general?

HDD: Some of these chops don't seem to line up properly with the beat. With that being said I like the chops themselves, the lines you're coming up with sound very soulful. I'd just work on stretching and cutting those chops to make it all fit. I'd also take a look at that bassline.

DJ 360: Nice chops, no real cohesive melody, but it definitely sounds hip-hop with a DJ beat juggle/scratch vibe. Real nice.

Ruimixx: Some of these chops sound a little off beat, very very slightly. It seems to become more prominent as the beat goes on. I like the first set of chops and those added keys before the changeup. Second set of chops is ill as well. Nice work with the bassline and the placement of the drums in the mix.

Haha, sorry again about that 5th. If I forgot any of the rest of you, let me know.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
5th Sequence said:
More Reviews::

Ruimixx
This was cool, i liked what you did with this. I think the intro should be reversed in your order though!! like hte sample shoulld come in first an the bassline comes in a bit later. Would have the listener followin what you did with the sample first and how you built around it. The change up is interesting, but a lil harsh. Eh, wasn't really feelin the 2nd beat that came in, but that first one has some good potential in it. Bassline seemed to stick out like a soar thumb on it, but that first one is where its at.

Thanks for the feedback! I had the drums and bassline already finished before i got the sample and basically, I forced this one together. I had an idea for the transition to the 2nd beat, but couldn't pull it off this go around, LOL!

Reviews to come

Peace

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
lol its all good ruimix, it was still a nice peice. aha, an dont sweat it Destruct, you know i'm jus givin ya a hard time. But yeah, as far as drum consistancy you want everything to sound like it came from the same "imaginary kit". If you have a grimey snare that you want to use, then you'd want a grimey (filtered) kick an you'd want the hihats to compliment that grimey vibe as well. Triming the EQ in the hi end is a start, as well messing with the pitch in general. What you want to do though is play all of the sounds together and just listen. Do they all sound about the same quality? Semi clean kick, hihat and snare? Very grimey snare, very grimey kick, somewhat grimey hihat? It's gotta be remotely relative or it'll sound like you just programmed the sounds in there blatently. If it sounds like its commin from the same source than you'll have a much more natural feel. Plus you want the drums to compliment the sample.

Just a grip of things to keep in mind but its a matter of practice an repetition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online