Week of May 22, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive revised my flip but still a work in progress, im still not happy with it.
http://www.dj2good.co.uk/sampleflip.php

5th Sequence said:
2good
I see the direction of it, it does have potential. Drums sounded pretty weak though, they werent hittin at all for me. The reverb on the snare sounded really cheesy to me though. Also the chops seemed a lil rough at the beginning. Adding those strings/brass or whatever it is that is slightly panned right is a good idea for the song though, definitely fills it out a bit. That bass line you added sounds dope too. If you could rework the drums on it with that bassline an then smooth out the chops, maybe add a filter to the sample and put it in mono or lessen the stereo feild, it'd be a much tighter mix and vibe all together. Then keepin that instrument thing would sound good with everything. Cool stuff though, keep it up man

Thanks 5th Sequence, im hearing your comments. I started cleaning my flip up yesterday and did pretty much exactly what you have said to do. I filtered the sample and softened the chops. I havent yet done anything with the reverb on the snare, but will have another listen and take your views into mind. Thanks for the feedback.

dj360_iNfInItE1 said:
My reviews:

2good – This is nice and soulful and dub-like all at once. I like this cuz it’s different. Those strings and pads you used were a nice addition. Probably the slickest one so far. Nice composing along side the sample. 2 thumbs up homie!

Thanks for the support my friend.

Ruimixx said:
Damn 2Good! I dig your style man. This was great!! Nuff said.
Thanks Mate. You cant please everybody all the time but some of the people some of the time is good for me. Cheers for the feedback.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What's up everyone? How much longer this thread gonna be open? I haven't had the free time to work on anything this week, nothing (packing and work). Let me know what is up, thanks.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Alright here's some reviews:

TrickySpins- Nice flip. I like the way you worked that string part.

Boneidle- That ish was sick! For some reason a vision of some psycho clowns runnin' aroung stabbin' people goes through my head when I listen to it. LOL! Crazy like that clown in Stephen King's "IT."

2Good- I listened to both versions and I can definitely say that the revision was better. Nice change-ups and overall well put together flip. Your drum & bass style is turning more hip hop with every flip. My only problem with the beat was that the drums sounded kind of like those BFD preset drums in a way. You know what I mean? Too much "slap" and not enough "oomph" or "thud." I can't explain it any other way. LOL! Maybe that's the way you wanted them to sound?

I'll get back later with some more.
ONE

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
O-H-TEN - Yo! This was jam! Dig that bass and the vocals that you added. The hi-hat sounds like a time bomb is ticking! LOL! Good job man!

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
DJ-O-TEN
This was interesting. The stuttering chops after .35 seconds sounded sick, I would have loved to hear somethin more with that. Everything else was cool though, the main melody worked. I think the rigidness of the hihats made the song seam stuck in a grid to me. Otherthan that I think this was a good flip though maing, nice job.

Ruimixx
I forget what your original sounded like, but I like this new one. This is sick, possibly too much reverb but everything sounded sick though I was feelin that arrangement you put down.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
Ruimixx
I forget what your original sounded like, but I like this new one. This is sick, possibly too much reverb but everything sounded sick though I was feelin that arrangement you put down.

Haha! Good! I want everyone to forget my first one! LOL! Thanks man.

ill o.g.
Ohten: I like the direction you took this in, it's unique and has an awesome vibe. I think that the bassline is a bit out of tune at certain points; the notes are either off pitch or the bass sample is being stretched a tad much. I would try to dirty the sample up a little bit; the drums are real gritty and street sounding, but I personally feel those plucked strings and vocal stabs are a bit too clean. The struck strings are real nice as well, though I think some added brass on supporting notes could make the effect you're going for stand out even more. Well done.

Ruimixx: Nice drum work. As for the chops, I really like a lot of ideas that went into this one, but think that there are so many the track lacks an overall cohesive line. For example, the descending flute could work as a nice resolution to the retriggered samples before it, but that's retriggered also. The vibe on this track is real nice, it's a headbanger. I would also work on those hats, they sound a bit clean compared to the drums. This was awesome and has a lot of potential, keep it up!

2Good: Nice melody. I like your chops and especially the added synths. I think some of the keys don't match the overall vibe of the track, and the ascending piano line seems to be off beat at one point. But overall, nice.

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
deStructuralize said:
Ruimixx: Nice drum work. As for the chops, I really like a lot of ideas that went into this one, but think that there are so many the track lacks an overall cohesive line. For example, the descending flute could work as a nice resolution to the retriggered samples before it, but that's retriggered also. The vibe on this track is real nice, it's a headbanger. I would also work on those hats, they sound a bit clean compared to the drums. This was awesome and has a lot of potential, keep it up!

Thanks deStruct! Ok, now I know what your saying. I'm going to rework the flute part that you mentioned and get it more "fluid" with the other parts. appreciate it man.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
THX to everyone for the feedback.

Mah boi Durrell said he wanted to do that one, so theres only a few changes I'm making.

I'm speeding it up (long as it sounds right)
I'm changing the hat, cause it makes it sound glitchy
And I'm thinking I should put more presence to the kick

BTW, I forgot this isn't my second-- Its the third.

Some Quick Reviews

Tricky Spins - I like this flip. We used the same vocal samples. I like the way you have chopped it and rearranged it im sure i can here some reverse samples in there too. Nice work, I have to get some practice chopping up.

Boneidle - This sounds very rnb and almost club. Very original flip, but i think the off key snares are a result of the wild flippage, have you tried fading out the share hit sound. I did in one of my recent tunes, dont know if it will work without distorting the vocal. Well done tho I like this.

BigRob - I must have left the reviews too late. The links down now.

TRO - Steady and flowing beat, it would be easy for an mc to rhyme over this. Well chopped.

5th Sequence - I get a summertime feeling from this track. This also would be very easy for an mc to spit some shit to.

Dj Oh Ten - This is probably the best flip ive heard this week, has a bit of a James Bond feel to it. Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online